• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At 4K does AA become unneeded?

its basically the same thing with added msaa support. the quality is better.

Edit - there was a crytek presentation saying they basically copied txaas accumulation method for their smaa 1tx

KKRT00

its basically the same thing with added msaa support. the quality is better.

Edit - there was a crytek presentation saying they basically copied txaas accumulation method for their smaa 1tx

Yes, but they also improved it in PC release and they use additional tricks in shaders to cover shader aliasing.
After playing Ryse, i cant personally see how MSAA would help when its already aliasing free. But maybe in a game with much more pixel detail, like fences or power lines additional resove from MSAA would be required.

pottuvoi

Banned
Yes, you still need various forms of AA.
Shader antialiasing is really important now that games use PRB.

Without it you might use 8xSSAA and still have horrid flickering surfaces during camera or light movement.

Order1886 has some very impressive shader, edge and temporal AA methods and thus look exeptional in terms of image quality.
UE4 has incredible temporal method which helps a lot even in hard cases.

Yes, but they also improved it in PC release and they use additional tricks in shaders to cover shader aliasing.
After playing Ryse, i cant personally see how MSAA would help when its already aliasing free. But maybe in a game with much more pixel detail, like fences or power lines additional resove from MSAA would be required.

ryse art was all designed to minimize aliasing tho, even without the aa theres much less aliasing than most games have without aa.. theres also not much fine detail in ryse. games like unity/watch dogs/black flag and even crysis 3 would show a marked improvement w/ txaa over smaa 1tx if it were possible to compare.

KKRT00

ryse art was all designed to minimize aliasing tho, even without the aa theres much less aliasing than most games have without aa.. theres also not much fine detail in ryse. games like unity/watch dogs/black flag and even crysis 3 would show a marked improvement w/ txaa over smaa 1tx if it were possible to compare.

Generally agree, but in other hand there are construction like this one, which are still AA stable even when they shouldnt be
http://i1.minus.com/ifcZBGSTD20ep.png [this shot is taken with 2xSSAA with TAA off btw :)]

And tons of vegetation which is also AA stable even from far away.
Would love to confront SMAA T1x in Crysis 3 though. I hope, we'll get an option in Star Citizen so we have good comparison :)

Generally agree, but in other hand there are construction like this one, which are still AA stable even when they shouldnt be
http://i1.minus.com/ifcZBGSTD20ep.png

And tons of vegetation which is also AA stable even from far away.
Would love to confront SMAA T1x in Crysis 3 though. I hope, we'll get an option in Star Citizen so we have good comparison :)

that scene and vegetation still has some aliasing in ryse, especially from a distance. vegetation in particular will always be a problem. the artists in ryse designed their vegetation very smartly to help minimize aliasing, but it comes at the cost of fine detail.

Portugeezer

You should make that clear then! You only mention resolution in the OP. I'm curious though, is there even a difference in aliasing on a 4k image downsampled to a 1080p display vs a 4k image on a 4k native display? Maybe that's a dumb question. I have no experience with 4k displays.

Why should he make it clear? Downsample 1080p to 480p no jaggies. Wow amazing.

I run a 4k PC rig on my 4K TV and I sit a out 6 feet from the screen. I am still graced with 20/20 vision (hang in there eye balls!) and I tend to set AA to x2 or x4 to ensure zero Jaggies.

So you don't think there'd be a reason to go above 4X MSAA? Just a waste of power?

Meaty

Ive been granted with a high tolerance (or bad eyes). I see no difference between 1080p and 4k. Know what bothers me? When people tell me "im wrong" when I say I cant notice it, as if they knew more about my perception and vision than I do. Ive seen two screens right by each other on multiple stores, literally got no clue whats 4k and what isnt

Top Bottom