• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus to Publish Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure

Press Release

Things can get rough in post-WWIII apocalyptic San Francisco on a gumshoe like Tex Murphy, and ATLUS and Big Finish are making sure of it by partnering to publish Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure. The sixth installment in the legendary PC adventure game series started as a Kickstarter project, and the partnership with ATLUS will help Big Finish more fully develop their vision for the first Tex Murphy outing this millennium.

Tesla Effect revives the glory years of PC adventure games with a return to the full-motion video (FMV) game genre. Known for its sardonic humor, Tesla Effect will be the first Tex Murphy game since 1998. ATLUS and Big Finish games will release Tesla Effect on Steam and other PC platforms worldwide in early 2014.

Interesting, if unexpected, news.

Is this Atlus's first PC exclusive release?

Squire

Banned
Atlus will announce literally every game other than the one people want from them the most.

Also: Good get!

megalowho

I think this is a perfect fit for the game, and an interesting project for Atlus. The Big Finish guys have been handling the whole Kickstarter process really well, they seem to have stuck to their plan and it's paying off. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Boerseun

Banned
I'd rather have a Tex Murphy adventure based on Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum (classic third person adventure games) than what came after (3D first person adventure games with loads of FMV).

Also, Atlus have published some real crap on Steam in recent years. Just saying, they don't have the best track record on PC.

Hope Atlus's future owner doesn't nix this.

I'd rather have a Tex Murphy adventure based on Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum (classic third person adventure games) than what came after (3D first person adventure games with loads of FMV).

I doubt they would have gotten as much money on KS if they'd gone with that.

The FMV games are what Tex is remembered for, since they - and Under A Killing Moon in particular - were such great games.

mclem

I am totally okay with this

Likewise. If ever-so-slightly confused by it. Atlus moving a bit outside their comfort zone!

I backed this on Kickstarter, and the though of a publisher is kinda... ick.

But I think Atlus will be ok; this might be the company's test of the PC market. I would of been shitting bricks if EA/Activision/Ubisoft got this though.

EDIT: Link to the Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/texmurphy/tex-murphy-project-fedora/posts/583200

Looks like Atlus will just be doing traditional publisher stuff so, yeah, I'm ok with this.

As I've mentioned in other threads, it's important to distinguish the traditional publisher role (doing the busywork to get a game on shelves) from the modern one (funding and driving the games industry in a manner that maximises their profits). There's nothing wrong with the traditional publishing role, as such, the issue was simply the fact that we'd reached a situation where publishers dictated the vast majority of the direction of the industry, and that was ultimately limiting the scope of the industry (but allowing some very high-budget games to be developed!)

Publishers aren't inherently bad; they have skills the average coding team don't have, and leveraging those skills is a sensible use of resources.

epmode

So long as Atlus has no influence on the game itself, this doesn't bother me too much. I hope the dev gets all of the money from digital sales, though. You know, considering that they already had a successful Greenlight campaign before Atlus did anything.

Correction: 3D first person adventure games with loads of FMV that are among the best adventure games around, unlike the lousy first two games.

Stet

Banned

What a weird opinion. That's like saying you'd rather have a Duke Nukem game based on the platformers.

As long as they don't fuck with the game I have no problems with this.

And finally they show some of the exploration mode. It won't win any awards for its graphics but as long as they keep it clean instead of smothering it in hideous "next gen" effects like motion blur and DOF they should be fine.

Game is getting more funding and development time, too. It already looked impressive considering the budget based on screenshots and videos, so I can't wait to see the final product in 2014 after the additional polish.

Midou

Played my first FMV game with Gabriel Knight 2 a couple months ago and I loved it, looking forward to this. Maybe I'll play older one(s) in the meantime.

Nice to see someone like Atlus embracing this stuff. I know it's easier to do post-kickstarter, but still.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So, bit of a bump, but it just occurred to me... I guess it's too soon to know whether or not Tex Murphy is a Sega game now?

The latest trailer that was posted on September 9tth makes it look quite good. It's the perfect mix of cheesy 90's FMV adventure in modern 1080p goodness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBbzzUBiUEg

Something like this really would have fit in well with Atlus's quirky portfolio. But it will be interesting to see if the publishing rights gets carried over to Sega, or will they drop it?

Top Bottom