• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Auto-aim cheatmaker halts development at Activision’s request

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021...ker-halts-development-at-activisions-request/

Just a few frames later, thanks to inputs sent through external hardware, the cheat user automatically targets the enemy and fires.

The makers of a machine-learning-powered auto-aim cheat tool have halted development and taken down their website "at the request of Activision Publishing." That's according to a message posted on the User Vision website, in which developer USER101 promises the group "will no longer be developing or providing access to software that could be used to exploit [Activision]'s games. My intent was never to do anything illegal."

Previous versions of the User Vision software offered more basic cheating functions like "recoil adjustment" that automatically steadies a player's aim and a "trigger bot" that shoots automatically when an enemy is detected in the player's crosshairs. Last week, though, the makers of User Vision started promoting a future version that would provide "full auto-aim [and] full auto-shots" on "any game" for PC, Xbox, or PlayStation.

Many of User Vision's promotional videos—which showed the tool being used in Call of Duty games—were taken offline late last week due to a copyright claim from Call of Duty publisher Activision. The entire YouTube account seems to no longer exist, and the User Vision Discord appears to be offline as well.

USER101 stressed that the auto-aim functionality showcased in User Vision's videos had yet to make it to a published version of the software. USER101 also tried to refocus the conversation by saying that "this type of technology [has] other actual assistive benefits; for example, by pointing a webcam at yourself, you could control movement without the use of limbs. Unfortunately, because of its potential negative impact, I will not be developing it further."

FranXico

Cheater said:
My intent was never to do anything illegal.
Sure Jan GIF

USER101 also tried to refocus the conversation by saying that "this type of technology [has] other actual assistive benefits; for example, by pointing a webcam at yourself, you could control movement without the use of limbs. Unfortunately, because of its potential negative impact, I will not be developing it further."

Yeah, I'm sure the idea behind this was for medical purposes, and USER101 was shocked and appalled when he realized people could cheat with this product.

ok GIF

onesvenus

Can someone explain what was illegal from it? I can see it being really shitty from a competitive standpoint but ilegal? It was "only" processing frames and sending output signals to the commands, not changing the game in any way

Can someone explain what was illegal from it? I can see it being really shitty from a competitive standpoint but ilegal? It was "only" processing frames and sending output signals to the commands, not changing the game in any way
I'm going to blame the DMCA. Seems like it always goes back to that piece of shit. Where messing with software you purchased on hardware you own was criminalized at the behest of corporations who got away with installing rootkits on our computers.

It's pretty disturbing they can shut a guy down for... what....posting some screenshots and developing an AI that can play a video game?

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm going to blame the DMCA. Seems like it always goes back to that piece of shit. Where messing with software you purchased on hardware you own was criminalized at the behest of corporations who got away with installing rootkits on our computers.

It's pretty disturbing they can shut a guy down for... what....posting some screenshots and developing an AI that can play a video game?
Should have limited it to a VI. You saw what happened to the Quarians

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I hope this tech fucking ruins pvp fps games.
🤣🤌

i would legit spend a weekend oneshotting edgelords online trolling dipshit influwankers on twitch 🤌🤌

Last edited:

Omali

Usually when a developer like Activision goes after a cheat maker, they hit them with every charge they can think of under the sun. Breach of contract, interference with contractual relations, copyright, computer fraud, trafficking circumvention technology, etc. The kitchen sink of contract and computer laws.

Justin9mm

I just don't get the psyche of someone cheating in an online game.

I play to win to feel good and know it was me and my efforts that gave me that win/result. When you cheat, it's not really your efforts that gave you that win. I just don't see the appeal of even playing if there is no self gratification?

I can understand people cheating in life for reasons like financial gain but cheating in an online game, it's just sad!

Umbral

if they were doing this for free, i would agree.

but these guys charge people out the ass for these things, and make a ton of money off it. fuck em.
No person has any right to tell another person what they can do. If he wants to make auto-aim cheating software, he can. I won’t use it and I’ll look down on anyone who does. He should still be able to make it.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
My intent was never to do anything illegal
How is this illegal? He is using computer vision to train a bot that operates on top of the same inputs and outputs a human operates.
I hate cheaters too guys, but I am also not in favor of an overreach or the law to prevent it.

He should release it for free and break the game. It will be a painful few years, but it will force cheat prevention measures to evolve. This is a better alternative than regulation which can have worse consequences for customers in the future.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I thought this device appeared to be magic. I'm 99% sure it's vaporware and it never worked as advertised (even if it exists). Somebody thought it would be a good idea to put up some social media content and got cold feet from all the attention it got.

Cats out of the bag on this…lots of people bought it and it’s simply a script added to a titan 2 paired with a pc and a generic recognition software…this will re-appear again

Top Bottom