• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldurs Gate3 made Hasbro digital game revenues spike by 133%

Draugoth

Gold Member
94076_31_baldurs-gate-3-spikes-hasbro-digital-game-revenues-by-132.png

Hasbro's Q3 digital gaming revenues surge thanks to Baldur's Gate 3's incredible success on console and PC, BG3 helped make over $133 million for Hasbro.

Baldur's Gate 3's megaton success has spiked Hasbro's video game revenues with two months of sales.

The company's earnings show that Wizards of the Coast's digital and license gaming revenues are up by roughly 133% year-over-year, driven by the release of Baldur's Gate 3 in August. Across a two-month period ending October 1 (Hasbro uses a calendar year for its schedules), WotC's digital and licensed gaming jumped to $133.1 million, up nearly $76 million dollars from last year. These earnings do include digital sales from Magic: The Gathering Online.

Hasbro clarifies that licensed games like Baldur's Gate 3 (and, to a lesser extent, Monopoly Go!) made around $63 million o the Wizards of the Coast digital revenues: "Wizards of the Coast revenue growth driven by the success of licensed digital games Baldur's Gate III and Monopoly Go! which drove $63 million of incremental revenue in Q3."

The company also issued a more generalized statement on its Q3 performance:

"Our third quarter results highlight the strength of Hasbro's diversified toy and game portfolio and the progress we have made on our transformation," said Chris Cocks, Hasbro chief executive officer. "Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming delivered a standout performance across strength in MAGIC: THE GATHERING and DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, particularly the blockbuster August release of Baldur's Gate III."

Can we estimate how much BG3 sold based on the $63 million number, assuming a licensing fee of 10%, that's $630 million in revenue for Larian, at $60 that is 10.5 million units sod.
That probably does not include the rumored 2 million early access buyers as I presume those fees were paid already.
So approximately 12.5 million units sold total?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The unquestioned GOTY. Honestly Larian's next game should be Neverwinter Nights.

Due to the success of BG3, they could pretty much choose what they wanted to do next.

Whatever they do, I'll be there day one.

Can we estimate how much BG3 sold based on the $63 million number, assuming a licensing fee of 10%, that's $630 million in revenue for Larian, at $60 that is 10.5 million units sod.
That probably does not include the rumored 2 million early access buyers as I presume those fees were paid already.

I can believe it. The game has been massive on PC and it turns out to have not been a slouch on PS5, either (although I'm sure at least 66% of total sales so far are from PC).

Imagine if/when this game gets a Switch 2 port. It's gonna happen, maybe tied to some new content around that time as well. I guess the Xbox release later this year will give a boost too but not nearly as much as being on PS5 and Switch 2 will.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Due to the success of BG3, they could pretty much choose what they wanted to do next.

Whatever they do, I'll be there day one.

Hmm... I'd take a RavenLoft adaptation. Be bold, make it definitive. Even the aspects I find irritating and ridiculously written in BG3 (eg. companion love logic) wouldn't be as bad in that setting, and wouldn't feel quite as out of place since vampire horror already has plenty of that cheesy paperback romance novel feel.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Hmm... I'd take a RavenLoft adaptation. Be bold, make it definitive. Even the aspects I find irritating and ridiculously written in BG3 (eg. companion love logic) wouldn't be as bad in that setting, and wouldn't feel quite as out of place since vampire horror already has plenty of that cheesy paperback romance novel feel.

Good call. I'd love a new vampire RPG.

I'd like to see them try something outside of DnD. Maybe take a stab at KOTOR. Not a remake or the original games, but a new story set in the same timeline.

Heck just have them make the next Dragon Age game. I'm pretty sure EA would make more money on an licensing fee of a Larian game than they would letting the current Bioware team develop the game.

Although I doubt Larian would do it. BG is such an iconic IP of the RPG genre they had to do it. Now that they can write their own ticket they are much better doing their own IP without having to shell out that huge chunk of revenue.

XXL

The unquestioned GOTY. Honestly Larian's next game should be Neverwinter Nights.
Wrong.

It unquestionably the GOTG (so far) and it's hard to even imagine another game surpassing it.

Everything about this game is top tier. It's honestly too much to even get into why that is in one post that isn't a novel.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

I think it would make more sense for Larian to work on an IP of their own. They did all the work and Hasbro got $76 million for doing absolutely nothing. That's money they could have kept for themselves if they'd changed the name of the game and changed a bit of the RPG mechanics.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Is this a good guess? I'm very curious to see how this game did.

Wildebeest

Nah, Neverwinter Nights is an MP brand. My bet is Ravenloft since it's the biggest narrative setting for D&D and Larian could make it camp AF. If they want to double down on the sword coast and social interactions in a big city then they should make a Waterdeep campaign.

StereoVsn

Good call. I'd love a new vampire RPG.

I'd like to see them try something outside of DnD. Maybe take a stab at KOTOR. Not a remake or the original games, but a new story set in the same timeline.
New game in KOTOR timeline with Larian at the helm would be epic. I just don’t see it happening since Star Wars licensing means you have to deal with Disney.

Top Bottom