• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare II is the fastest selling Call of Duty ever and surpassed $800 million in its opening weekend, beating out the previous record holder

3liteDragon

Official update from Activision Blizzard. New all-time record set for number of players online for the opening weekend & number of hours played through opening weekend.

Grossed $800M through opening weekend instead of the rumored $600M.

Last edited:
I'm curious why Modern Warfare II is so much more wildly popular this year vs. previous years.

I'm not a CoD fan, is there something special about MW2? Nostalgia or something?
Yeah I'm surprised too. Modern Warfare 1 from a few years back was really good (cod scale) and super super popular, but after 2 or 3 years of trash games I would have expected a little bit of a sales hit. Guess not.

wipeout364

I'm curious why Modern Warfare II is so much more wildly popular this year vs. previous years.

I'm not a CoD fan, is there something special about MW2? Nostalgia or something?
MW and MW2 was considered the peak by many fans of COD. Infinity ward was the developer. After Zampella left for respawn Infinity ward struggled with Ghosts, and then infinite warfare.

MW 2019 was a remake that combined: the comeback story of infinity ward, the return of MW considered by many to be the greatest COD story/ weapon set/ characters in the franchise, First COD to scrap the season passes/ the COD most associated with Warzone/ A game that was rock solid on arrival and only got better over the year.

The hype for MW2 was stratospheric especially after two filler COD, and in particular one game that was just broken and bad (Vanguard).

Last edited:
MW and MW2 was considered the peak by many fans of COD. Infinity ward was the developer. After Zampella left for respawn Infinity ward struggled with Ghosts, and then infinite warfare.

MW 2019 was a remake that combined: the comeback story of infinity ward, the return of MW considered by many to be the greatest COD story/ weapon set/ characters in the franchise, First COD to scrap the season passes/ the COD most associated with Warzone/ A game that was rock solid on arrival and only got better over the year.

The hype for MW2 was stratospheric especially after two filler COD, and in particular one game that was just broken and bad (Vanguard).

Is MW2 actually considered any different in terms of quality, though? Like is it objectively a better game or something?

wipeout364

Even if it’s the same quality as MW 2019, people have been waiting 3 years for a sequel with full support, since most support for each COD is dropped after 1 year.

Cold War used an old engine so people who loved MW 2019 felt it was regressive. It was also a bit of a thrown together game to cover up sledgehammers disaster vanguard. Vanguard which even with an extra year still released as a mess and was never properly tuned even after a year of support. COD fans were dying for a solid entry.

Last edited:

ShadowLag

Is MW2 actually considered any different in terms of quality, though? Like is it objectively a better game or something?
I would say yes.

But, for me, the main thing that sets MW2019 and MW2 apart from everything else, is the smooth as butter gunplay and obsessive attention to detail and satisfaction with the guns. Above and beyond anything else, in every category (including gameplay feel). Every gun in the game is effectively the RE4 rifle reload, if you get the reference.

Check this out (VOLUME UP!) :

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Its the most popular first person shooter gameplay.
Its fun to play and MWII has some good improvements.
Sequel to the very successful Modern Warfare in 2019.

Plus, Modern Warfare is the most popular CoD sub brand.
Captain Price is the only recognizable character from all of CoD. Maybe Ghost as well.
The other games' campaigns are promptly forgotten as soon as they ship.

Very popular Warzone, now starting to feel stale after almost 36 months, is being rebooted.
Warzone 1 launched alongside Modern Warfare.
Fresh start with MW2 and Warzone 2.
First time Warzone will be native on PS5.
New DMZ mode has big potential.

Lastly, Vanguard flopped and Cold War was average.
Battlefield 2042, also modern warfare themed, also just flopped.
People are hungry.
Not a ton of big games either this year since early in the year.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I would say yes.

But, for me, the main thing that sets MW2019 and MW2 apart from everything else, is the smooth as butter gunplay and obsessive attention to detail and satisfaction with the guns. Above and beyond anything else, in every category (including gameplay feel). Every gun in the game is effectively the RE4 rifle reload, if you get the reference.

Check this out (VOLUME UP!) :

Somewhat related but I've been thinking a lot about Resident Evil lately. Probably because of playing Shadows of Rose and it being Halloween and all...even booted up Revelations today. My main thought is "why hasn't Capcom been able to recapture the satisfaction from using weapons with their games after RE4". That attention to detail is part of it, maybe even most of it.

Last edited:
Congratulations on that first party IP success Microsoft 🎉
CLUzhYg.jpg

ShadowLag

Somewhat related but I've been thinking a lot about Resident Evil lately. Probably because of playing Shadows of Rose and it being Halloween and all...even booted up Revelations today. My main thought is "why hasn't Capcom been able to recapture the satisfaction from using weapons with their games after RE4. That attention to detail is part of it, maybe even most of it.
Funny enough, I was thinking the exact same thing while watching the video I linked. "Man, the RE8 pistol is a weak ass pea shooter with zero realism compared to these"

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Funny enough, I was thinking the exact same thing while watching the video I linked. "Man, the RE8 pistol is a weak ass pea shooter with zero realism compared to these"

Resident Evil 7 and Village might be the worst in the series in this regard. Some awful enemy designs too. RE4's animations, powerful sounds and enemy reactions are just so damned good.

ShadowLag

Resident Evil 7 and Village might be the worst in the series in this regard. Some awful enemy designs too. RE4's animations, powerful sounds and enemy reactions are just so damned good.
The RE4 remake team appears to be aware of this too - if you notice in the newest RE4R gameplay demo, the shotgun is ultra-punchy and clicky.

bender

What time is it?
The RE4 remake team appears to be aware of this too - if you notice in the newest RE4R gameplay demo, the shotgun is ultra-punchy and clicky.

Funnily enough, I had a Teams meeting open from earlier in the morning which I forgot to close while watching that and was wondering why the demo sounded so muffled. The app was interfering with my browser's sound output. I'm still a little weary of the remake but we always have the original (and the HD fan project).

That’s impressive, but isn’t this just a remake or is it a remaster? No wonder these developers are coming out with so many remakes especially of popular IP’s.

bender

What time is it?
And mods :messenger_winking:

EDIT: But the sound is definitely not muffled, it's crystal clear and super punchy under normal circumstances.

Yeah, I was surprised I was the only one who pointed it out until I figured out what my issue was and re-watched the trailer.

I almost want to buy MW2 after watching that reloading video. lol

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

Because it's made by Infinity Ward.

I said it before and I will say it again, most of COD money is from COD mobile, Warzone and Infinity Ward's COD games. Going forward Activision should start thinking about making COD on Console/PC exclusive to Infinity Ward, especially keep Sledgehammer Games away from that IP. Only Infinity Ward seems motivated to make a good COD game.
Old Treyarch and COD games used to have great campaign and many people like me only cared about their campaign. I have not cared about COD since Advanced Warfare, but I am hearing good things about the new MW campaign. Yeah, people did play COD only for the SP.
they seem to not be motivated in making these WW II themed games. Advanced Warfare could have been the series that defined them, like Black Ops is to Treyarch or Modern Warfare is to Infinity Ward.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Modern warfare.

People don’t like ww2 weapons or Vietnam weapons.

Mw1 came out after a rough few years for cod where they went all in with jet packs future warfare. Mw 2019 was back to boots on the ground with modern weapons, killstreaks and map design. Warzone s was built on the same weapons. Since then they did another Cold War Vietnam game and another ww2 game no one wanted. This was always going to be huge.

If these numbers are true, COD will fail to surpass day 1 Fallout 4 sales, which was $750 million on day one. I find it hard to believe that it won't. But we shall see. Shows you what an absolute beast Fallout is though if COD fails to beat that number. That's the number I've been eyeing the whole time for this release.

Boneless

I haven't touched COD for years and bought this one for 2 reasons:
1) They will not make a COD next year, so this one will stick around longer to scratch my FPS itch
2) The game is good, much better than the last blackops I played. Guns feel good, they sound good, it looks good, the maps are great, tons of modes to play for variety.

Ovetall, I'm having fun!

Last edited:
Elden Ring never had a chance of being the best selling game of 2022, shame. The continued popularity of CoD is wild, personally I'm a Treyarch fan when it comes to this franchise and only pick up the ones they lead development on, 3 years is enough time to cleanse my palate of what is more or less the same game every year, last non-Treyarch entry I bought was Advanced Warfare.

Modern Warfare is synonymous with being the best Call of Duty has to offer and also apparently the most recognisable characters (which, even as a fan of the games they all appear to be two dimensional puppets shooting guns).

Also, the last Modern Warfare game was a ton of fun, this was bound to sell a load. History repeating itself.

Can't believe there are literally thousands of original games out there that people look past because they don't have a certain name on the box or storefront or a huge budget yet people gobble up shit like this each and every year.

Ozzie666

This is a lot of money to give up if you make it XBOX/PC exclusive. Damn good argument to keep it third-party. Pay off the purchase in no time.

Top Bottom