• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Base Xbox One Is actually more powerful than the PS4 where it arguably counts [Foliage Breakdown]

Did thread make it easier to understand the different benefits CPU and GPUs can provide separately?

• Yes, I really appreciate the information

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • No

Votes: 21 95.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We'd prefer you didn't troll the forum.
It is widely known that the Base Xbox One is generally considered weaker than the PS4. In fact, the differences were over-blown during the early years this generation giving Microsoft a lot of flak and bad press. So this, was a big deal.

However, that's not the whole story, the Xbox One is actually more powerful in probably the area that counts the most, especially in still screenshots, foliage. Even Dynamic Foliage.

The graphics processing is a bit weaker, but not much weaker, than the PS4's, however the CPU is strong enough to make up the difference. One of the reasons why this advantage has been underutilized is because the tools in Xbox One Devkits are not too dissimilar to a closed PC dev kit, which like the 360, focused more on GPU than CPU, and Microsoft never really made a new kit from scratch focusing on CPU, hence why it was deemed cheaper and a better long-term strategy to release the powerful X which continued to focus on graphics instead of pure processing.

However, you can see the differences in power from how the Xbox One and PS4 handle dynamic foliage.

Here is an 2013 example comparing two 1st-part titles Ryse and Killzone:

INPxB9e.gif
9f91ce07120d06813dca3563ad710572.gif

Now you will notice that Ryse has several effects from lighting and more with it's foliage, which is also in various shades and the grass has dynamic animation. You can also see some shadowing.

The Killzone Screen mostly has minimal movement of foliage, and a lot of it is static, in some cases things move when you get near,. but generally stay static. There is an area in a more dense Forrest in Killzone with some incredible high resolution image quality and lighting, which is good for s still, however in motion that whole Forrest is still mostly just as static, and the lighting is baked going over the foliage in a pre-set pattern.

Here is a 2015 example comparing Uncharted 4 and Forza Horizon 3:

DamagedPersonalBalloonfish-size_restricted.gif
:
3029650-6243797753-uc4c..gif

Uncharted 4's foliage looks like a very clean version of PS3 foliage. Very unrealistic looking, tons of static foliage that doesn't move, some have no lighting, heck Nathan running through the foliage is only met with maybe a 4-5 frame animation. Forza Horizon 3 has realistic trees blowing in the wind, and tons of shadow, lighting, and other effects, much more dynamic. Not to mention the wet effect from the water on the ground.

Of course those of you are likely still not yet ready to realize how the CPU is important for foliage based graphics, so here's a recent multi-platform game that's on both consoles, which will again show the major differences in foliage, Final Fantasy XV:

giphy.gif
GloriousVictoriousAmericanriverotter.gif

Now notice that on the PS4 screen on the right, the bushes don't animate anywere near as much, just only a slightly higher resolution. Some of the bushes don't animate at all during the actions. And the grass ground flooring isn't as detailed, less blades of grass overall. In fact, on the left Xbox shot the grass in patches are actually moving, while on the PS4 shot they move until a hit connects. and then stop.

Now you may be asking WHY AND HOW IS THIS HAPPENING?

Well simple, the Xbox One, as mentioned before, is actually around just as powerful than the PS4 with the CPU making up the difference, but the more powerful pure processing still has an advantage even then. Foliage changing shadows and lighting during rays or other environmental changes, detailed grass, trees, or bushes moving with the wind, this is all CPU intensive. GPU helps here sure, but all of the dynamic feature sets around foliage graphics are MOSTLY CPU bound.

This is why, that Foliage is better on average in Xbox games than PS4 games. While the PS4 will have in some cases, better image quality, and higher resolution models and even in cases, textures, in motion a lot of the environmental elements are generally static, have few frames of animation, or do have animations but they stop once things start happening on screen, or at least slow down. This is because the PS4's CPU isn't capable enough to handle a lot of CPU intensive tasks.

This is also why that Xbox One games that feature a ton of characters on screen usually run a bit better than the PS4 equivalent.

Foliage is very important, especially in exploration based games or RPGS. It really does add realism to the game world, and it seems that Microsoft aimed for that with the Xbox One. if Sony's 8GB GDDR5 luck hadn't have happened, that target would have had a greater effect. However, even with the PS4 currently more powerful than Base Xbox One the goal still shows in the results.

To be fair Sony has always had issues with foliage with their systems, usually focusing on resolution. While Xbox has always focused on trying to get as much going on in the environment as possible. Two different approaches, that aim to do two different things. Killzone Shadow Fall is still a great looking game even with its static elements, but Ryse is clearly the more dyamic game environmentally.

So I hope that I helped clarify just WHY the base Xbox One is the more powerful consoles for foliage and CPU bound effects.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Irrelevant. Xbox One is only tricking your eyes into seeing 60fps of foliage while the PS4 is just giving us native 30fps foliage.

Shifty

If you're the type of person that exclusively consumes open-world games, perhaps.

Meanwhile I'm over here playing through the finest survival horror title of this gen without a scrap of scalable dynamic foliage in sight. Whatever will I do.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Unless you work on the dev teams for all these games and have profiled the performance, you are making assumptions and jumping to conclusions to back some bias you have. I recall the vast CPU advantage the XB1 had for GTAV and then a patch erased it. Did the CPUs change?

This thread is pseudo technical nonsense.

To be fair Sony has always had issues with foliage with their systems, usually focusing on resolution. While Xbox has always focused on trying to get as much going on in the environment as possible

LOL, come on, is this a parody post?

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Confirmed: 100mhz speed advantage over the PS4 CPU allows for moving foliage. Better go back to the Emotion Engine, Sony!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
I, for one, refuse to buy games with sub-standard foliage :messenger_dizzy:

See the issue with this thread is since humans can only see a 30fps, I shouldn't notice that your comparison pictures have different frame-rates unless you, using your own words, obstructed.

This also makes your thread invalid because you made your comparisons outside a "neutral space" so sadly I can't take your comparisons at full value. If I can't have my Dynamic foliage comparisons rendered in a neutral space than it's not even possible to comprehend the difference in foliage.

You wont trick me again

It's ok, he forgot to make his comparisons on a Neutral space this time. But maybe he can find better renders of "Dynamic foliage". ;)

People are saying it's a troll thread, yet the screens themselves show exactly what I described below them. So uh...?

Are people just reading the title and not looking at the thread? The gifs and the commentary are literally what's in the gifs. The foliage on the Xbox One side are CLEARLY better than the ones on the PS4 side, and I went into detail on top of that.

Airbus Jr

Banned
First I saw ps4pro thread stating it has 8.4 teraflops and now this?

What's up with these recent dumb post?

Lock thread and ban the troll

Last edited:
However, that's not the whole story, the Xbox One is actually more powerful in probably the area that counts the most, especially in still screenshots, foliage. Even Dynamic Foliage.

Is Dynamic Foliage like SiF? That made up term you used in the other thread?

One of the reasons why this advantage has been underutilized is because the tools in Xbox One Devkits are not too dissimilar to a closed PC dev kit, which like the 360, focused more on GPU than CPU, and Microsoft never really made a new kit from scratch focusing on CPU, hence why it was deemed cheaper and a better long-term strategy to release the powerful X which continued to focus on graphics instead of pure processing.

Lol what? This might have worked if you didn't screw up the other thread, but your technobabble won't help you now.

Well simple, the Xbox One, as mentioned before, is actually around just as powerful than the PS4 with the CPU making up the difference, but the more powerful pure processing still has an advantage even then. Foliage changing shadows and lighting during rays or other environmental changes, detailed grass, trees, or bushes moving with the wind, this is all CPU intensive. GPU helps here sure, but all of the dynamic feature sets around foliage graphics are MOSTLY CPU bound.

So would Pure Processing be even stronger if games were on HD-DVD instead of Bluray?

To be fair Sony has always had issues with foliage with their systems, usually focusing on resolution. While Xbox has always focused on trying to get as much going on in the environment as possible.

Yes, but if we can't see past 30fps, will we hear a tree fall in the Forrest?

Nydus

People are saying it's a troll thread, yet the screens themselves show exactly what I described below them. So uh...?

Are people just reading the title and not looking at the thread? The gifs and the commentary are literally what's in the gifs. The foliage on the Xbox One side are CLEARLY better than the ones on the PS4 side, and I went into detail on top of that.
It's because you speak nonsense. If a game is GPU bound the difference can't be made up with CPU. If I play at 4k it's not relevant if my CPU runs with 4.8 or 5 GHz.

Why do you put so much work in trolling / spreading misinformation? Put that energy to better use :(

Last edited:

Ok, I'll play OP, since you're actually defending this thread instead of running like the other troll thread.

I PROPOSE A CHALLENGE TO OP, everyone gather around.

I challenge OP to the following challenge:

IF OP CAN FIND 15 MULTIPLATFORM GAMES WITHIN 48 HOURS THAT ALL SHOW THAT THE FOLIAGE IS BETTER ON XBOX ONE AND NOT ON PS4, THEN HE WILL PROVE HIS THREAD IS CORRECT AND NOT A TROLL.

------Otherwise we'll get @Bill O'Rights

(again) or another mod to uh, judge the thread. I would take the challenge personally.

Last edited:
Who Whoa, there is no 60fps remember? The Human eye can only see 30fps in a "neutral space" remember? :)

Literally everything I wrote in the OP below those gifs are exactly what's in the gifs.

It's clear I may need to wait awhile before making more discussion threads, one mod locked my other thread because I don't spend 24 hours of Gaf and said I ran away. Now I have a OP with actual indisputable differences with long descriptions and I'm still being dogpiled.

Look, the thread is here for those that actually want to have a discussion and are interested in the topic, hopefully soon we will actually have a conversation here because the evidence this time can't even be disputed, those gifs match my descriptions to the word.

Literally everything I wrote in the OP below those gifs are exactly what's in the gifs.

It's clear I may need to wait awhile before making more discussion threads, one mod locked my other thread because I don't spend 24 hours of Gaf and said I ran away. Now I have a OP with actual indisputable differences with long descriptions and I'm still being dogpiled.

Look, the thread is here for those that actually want to have a discussion and are interested in the topic, hopefully soon we will actually have a conversation here because the evidence this time can't even be disputed, those gifs match my descriptions to the word.

I would still suggest taking the above challenge and adding 15 more comparisons to the thread to better prove your point. Specifically cross-platform.

The first two comparisons are of different genres, and the last one has the PS4 image way to choppy to even see what's going on imo. If done that way, at least you'll redeem yourself from the other thread. You can do that in 2 days can't you?

Ok, I'll play OP, since you're actually defending this thread instead of running like the other troll thread.

I PROPOSE A CHALLENGE TO OP, everyone gather around.

I challenge OP to the following challenge:

IF OP CAN FIND 15 MULTIPLATFORM GAMES WITHIN 48 HOURS THAT ALL SHOW THAT THE FOLIAGE IS BETTER ON XBOX ONE AND NOT ON PS4, THEN HE WILL PROVE HIS THREAD IS CORRECT AND NOT A TROLL.

------Otherwise we'll get @Bill O'Rights

(again) or another mod to uh, judge the thread. I would take the challenge personally.
Im not going to defend him but i have to say that challenge is BS. Your just telling him to do the same thing he just did but with 15 games and 48 hours...shouldnt you be the one finding 15 games disproving him?

psn

Im not going to defend him but i have to say that challenge is BS. Your just telling him to do the same thing he just did but with 15 games and 48 hours...shouldnt you be the one finding 15 games disproving him?
Nah, you can't prove a point with two gifs from completely different games and areas to prove a point. Cherry picking is still a thing, you know.

thelawof4

The comparisons are bad because they are not the same game and the gifs are low quality.

And i don't get what you want to discuss here? What is the goal here?

Last edited:

He only has one cross-platform game in the OP and that's the bottom one, what are you talking about?

But based on your pos,t apparently he once again got a few people caught in his net, gotta give credit to the OP.

The comparisons are bad because they are not the same game and the gifs are low quality.

And i don't get what you want to discuss here? What is the goal here?

He's saying that the PS4 is too weak to do "dynamic foliage" and the reason why the Xbox One is more powerful in this specific instance is because OP claims foliage is CPU taxing.

Fake

I expected the directx 12 to make some difference, but I can't understand why Microsoft keep making PR of directx 12 on Xbox One X.
You posted of Xbox One have a better cpu than PS4. You're wrong because both PS4 and base Xbox have the same CPU. In that always online bullshit era Microsoft made a decision of increase base Xbox CPU clock speed before launch.
Both base Xbox, directx 12 and 'power of cloud' was a terrible mistake. I mean, even in PC scenario directx 12 is strugling to get great results, at least the results that Microsoft so much talked about, the famouns 'game changer'.

He only has one cross-platform game in the OP and that's the bottom one, what are you talking about?

But based on your pos,t apparently he once again got a few people caught in his net, gotta give credit to the OP.
im saying why would you expect him to bend over backwards to please you. "Based on my post"? im not saying he's right, just saying someone should maybe just take the two seconds to disprove him rather than just say he's trolling without giving any examples. Im not a game developer and am not trying to act like one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom