• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ Almost Had It’s Own Video Game and Became Shadow of Mordor.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Once upon a time we almost had a Batman video game that would have been based around the 2012 Christopher Nolan film, The Dark Knight Rises that eventually became something else.

According to game journalist Liam Robertson, Rocksteady’s Batman Arkham games were not the only Batman video games that Warner Bros. had in the works at the start of the decade. Apparently, after Warner Bros. bought developer Monolith Productions, the company, at one point, had been tasked with making a game based around the third installment of Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight Trilogy.

The game was said to be a big open-world game with some former developers comparing the doomed Dark Knight Rises video game 2018’s Spider-Man video game. After some time in preproduction, however, The Dark Knight Rises game was shut down. Apparently, this was due to the studio being unable to get Christopher Nolan’s approval for the video game. The reason why Christopher Nolan did not sign off on this game, however, changes depending on who you ask.

Despite not being able to work on their open-world Batman game, Monolith Productions would eventually use the experience to develop their own Lord of the Rings game. This concept would eventually evolve into the highly successful game, Middle Earth: Shadow of War which would go on to win numerous Game of the Year awards. It’s interesting how these things sometimes work out.

I'm actually glad it didn't happen. Movie tie-in games for comic book characters rarely ever end up being good anyway. Sure there are a few exceptions. But making an original 'Arkham' video game universe for Batman was a much better idea in the end. Same goes with Spider-Man on the PS4. I honestly prefer seeing original game universes for comic book IP's over something that is based on an existing movie property.

Great video though. I have to admit, that the Monolith Dark Knight game actually sounded pretty cool.

Last edited:

LiamR

I'm actually glad it didn't happen. Movie tie-in games for comic book characters rarely ever end up being good anyway. Sure there are a few exceptions. But making an original 'Arkham' video game universe for Batman was a much better idea in the end. Same goes with Spider-Man on the PS4. I honestly prefer seeing original game universes for comic book IP's over something that is based on an existing movie property.

Great video though. I have to admit, that the Monolith Dark Knight game actually sounded pretty cool.

Thanks! Maybe we will still see them work on DC properties. It's totally possible.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Well i dont like at all LOTR, but Shadow of Mordor is a awesome game and i like it at all.

Amazing how take the good elements of the movie.

Mista

Banned
Well good. Because Shadow of Mordor was my GOTY in 2014. Would’ve been great though to have a Dark Knight game with Heath Ledger voicing the Joker, it would’ve been wicked! RIP Heath
Thanks for sharing my video. I hope people find it interesting.
Holy shit Liam you’re here?! I love your work bruv! Keep it up

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Whaaaaaat? No way. Man I would've loved to see how that would've turned out.

Although on the other hand I'm quite happy Shadow of Mordor became a thing. One of my favorite PS4 games.

Top Bottom