• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Chasers: Nightwar PS4 gameplay trailer and PSBlog post

Havent found a general version of this trailer and the devs only RTd the PSBlog post. Anyway to avoid confusion for people not familiar with the game it releases on PC/XB1/PS4 next year.

seems like a new gameplay trailer – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4PHjcfcz0

music is awesome, btw

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016...s-modern-with-battle-chasers-nightwar-on-ps4/

“Oh my god,” Joe Madureira exclaims before pondering the unexpected question for a second. “We knew we wanted it to be some sort of RPG reference, since those are the kinds of games we wanted to work on.”
The co-founder of Airship Syndicate is recollecting the moment when his team hit upon a name for their independent outfit. The RPG inspiration is unsurprising (“Airship was something we loved — the visual image and the RPG flavor of it”), given how big a fan the comic book artist turned game creator is of the genre. Perfect example: upon leaving Marvel Comics in 1997 to co-found comics imprint Cliffhanger, his creator-owned debut Battle Chasers wore its fantasy RPG influences proudly.

It’s a series and world he left — on a cliffhanger, no less — in 2001. He’d be the first to tell you he wasn’t expecting to return to it 15 years later through the lens of interactive entertainment. “I kind of had the feeling we should be doing something new,” he reminisces. There was a flirtation with doing a Metroidvania side-scroller at first, but ultimately Airship Syndicate settled on an RPG for its first project. Yet the “where” was a lot harder to choose than the “what.”

There are odd parallels between Madureira’s two careers. Just as he shifted from one of the biggest comic book companies in the world to co-found his own label, so too did he create a smaller development studio with fellow Vigil Games ex-staffers after it shuttered due to publisher THQ’s liquidation.

The 12-strong team (backed by a dozen remote contractors) are housed in a small studio. Work’s fluid, creative checks a matter of looking over a monitor and offering input rather than waiting for weekly meetings (“I can literally see you doing it right there. It’s instant,” Joe says input opportunities). Everybody “wears many hats”, and the unofficial mission statement seemingly boils down to “if an idea’s awesome, we’ll implement it, irrespective of who came up with it.”

The title’s pencilled in for a summer 2017 release (“Right now we’ve got all the systems working. It’s just really building content at this point”) and the game’s design reflects the era it’s launching in. Two decades ago it’d have been easy to imagine the finished product being an ode to Diablo hot wired to turn-based battles a la Final Fantasy. Inspirations that admittedly are still coded into the game’s DNA today: gameplay emphasis is on dungeon-crawling and a chess-like combat system.

But you also note more current trends. Dungeons are randomly-generated, and different difficulty-based runs call into mind everything from Spelunky and other roguelikes to high score-chasing mobile titles. Thankfully altering difficulties isn’t a case of yanking enemy HP sliders up and friendly health bars down; enemy attacks will differ, dungeon layout will alter, treasure chests will drop randomized loot. Certain bosses only appear on certain star ratings. Re-roll, replay.

more at the link including pics (how do I hotlink from flickr?)

dracula_x

2016-11-1700_38_58seabt.gif

2016-11-1700_40_52bcu1a.gif

I backed this. I have every BattleChasers comic to ever come out. So I am pretty hyped on this. I might even double dip console and pc.

The only thing I know about Battle Chasers comes from an issue of Wizard Magazine. They had a small video game section, and one of the articles in it was adapting a comic book into game. They picked Battle Chasers once and said they'd like to see it as a RPG. I think in their concept it would have played like Final Fantasy X. At that moment in middle school, I knew I wanted a Battle Chasers RPG.

When the fundraising kicked in over fifteen years later, my mind was blown. Here's kind of the same concept, but with something new. I still remembered that article in Wizard. Late 20s me still wanted a Battle Chasers RPG. So I threw it a few bucks.

Looks great. I'm excited to get my hands on this.

AerialAir

Banned
Didn't know about this, but it actually looks good, however, what's this dev's experience with RPGs? I only know them from Darksiders which is an RPG, true, but it's more action oriented, not like this one.

For some reason I thought this was gonna be a Power Stone clone, but the videos look nothing like that. Must've been thinking of another game.

I hope that the game, unlike the comic series, has an actual resolution this time around.

Battle Chasers inhabits a wonderful world that I hope this game takes advantage of, because it feels like that world was established and then left to rot away for years afterwards. A triple A production would've been more suitable, but this still looks great in its own right.

Skilletor

I hope that the game, unlike the comic series, has an actual resolution this time around.

Battle Chasers inhabits a wonderful world that I hope this game takes advantage of, because it feels like that world was established and then left to rot away for years afterwards. A triple A production would've been more suitable, but this still looks great in its own right.

Comic is finishing up as well.

martino

Anywhere have more information on the specifics of the RPG mechanics?
Not in detail but it's dungeon crawler with trap( probably ligth plateforming) with old FF style encounters. It also features loot and craft

This with madureira designs is enougth for me

I've known nothing about this game until I wandered into this thread. And now I have to wait until summer '17?! I need this now!

Top Bottom