• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC America’s 'Orphan Black' Now Available on Amazon Prime

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

Orphan-Black1-350x158.jpg

This is a good show, right? I've been meaning to check it out. Rafa, OddOne, Cornballer, Ivy, Ratsky...I'd love to hear thoughts.

Full press release:

BBC AMERICA’s Orphan Black Joins Lineup of Hit Shows Available Exclusively on Prime Instant Video

Deal with BBC Worldwide North America delivers the entire first season of the thrilling drama series for instant streaming before season two returns on April 19

SEATTLE—Mar. 7, 2014—(NASDAQ:AMZN)—Amazon.com, Inc. today announced a content licensing agreement with BBC Worldwide North America that will make Prime Instant Video the exclusive online-only subscription home for streaming Season One and future seasons of the intriguing dramatic thriller Orphan Black. The highly regarded series returns to BBC AMERICA on Saturday, April 19, at 9:00 p.m. EST, allowing Prime members plenty of time to enjoy past episodes on hundreds of connected devices anytime, anywhere before the series continues.

Orphan Black stars Golden Globe-nominee Tatiana Maslany as an outsider who assumes the identity of a woman who looks just like her after witnessing her suicide—only to realize that she and the dead woman are clones. Maslany was awarded the Critics’ Choice Television Award for Best Actress in a Drama Series, the Television Critics Association Award for Individual Achievement in Drama, and a Young Hollywood Award for Breakthrough Performance for her work in the series. Orphan Black was created by award-winning director John Fawcett and award-winning writer Graeme Manson, and also stars award-winning actress Maria Doyle Kennedy (Mrs. S.), Dylan Bruce (Paul Dierden), Jordan Gavaris (Felix Dawkins), Kevin Hanchard (Detective Art Bell), and Skyler Wexler (Kira). Orphan Black is produced by Temple Street Productions in association with BBC AMERICA and Bell Media’s Space and is distributed internationally by BBC Worldwide North America.

“Orphan Black is exactly the type of smart, suspenseful TV show that our customers love to binge on,” said Brad Beale, Director of Digital Video Content Acquisition for Amazon. “It’s easy to see why Tatiana Maslany was nominated for a Golden Globe for her role in Orphan Black. We’re excited to offer the first and future seasons exclusively to Prime members at no additional cost, continuing our tradition of offering a wide variety of great content we know our customers will enjoy.”

“Prime Instant Video continues to be a great platform for viewers to enjoy our content, and we’re very pleased to make it the exclusive online streaming provider for every season of Orphan Black, starting with Season One,” said Matt Forde, EVP Sales & Co-Productions for BBC Worldwide North America. “Temple Street Productions along with Graeme Manson and John Fawcett have created an addictive, edge-of-your-seat series and now is the perfect time for subscribers to get on board and catch up on Season One before the series returns to BBC AMERICA in April.”

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ampaign=Feed:+Tvbythenumbers+(TVbytheNumbers)

3rdman

This is indeed a good show...For me, I had to slog through a handful of middle episodes before it picked up again but they were also important in laying down the framework of what is to come so they can be forgiven. I only mention this so that others who feel the same way should keep watching because the last few EPs of the season were great!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The name has always made me think it's an anime. But I've heard good things so I'll check it out.

I pretty much ignored it for the same reason. The trailers didn't impress me much neither, but I gave it a chance after seeing the raving at the OT and it turned out to be one of the biggest surprises of the year.

Tatiana Maslany outperforms the hell out of 99% of any actress currently on TV. She deserves six salaries.

Blader

Oh, nice. I watched the first two episodes already on Xfinity's online service, but their web player stutters a lot for some reason. Getting to stream HD, and have it play on my TV, is a huge improvement.

Fingers crossed this means Broadchurch will end up streaming too! Really don't want to pay a separate $20+ charge to watch it.

Seigyoku

I really should watch this but...

I am only NINE episodes into Veronica Mars S2 and the movie comes out in a week!

/panic

I mean it only took them about 9-10 months to make that happen. It was annoying trying to find someplace to watch it for free and legit back in January. Good for them. It's really a good series.

Blader

I mean it only took them about 9-10 months to make that happen. It was annoying trying to find someplace to watch it for free and legit back in January. Good for them. It's really a good series.

A lot of providers deliberately stagger streaming until a month or two before the show's next season begins.

Yes, it's a very good show and well worth checking out. Give it a few episodes to get going and enjoy.

Here's a few comments from the TV Show of the Year balloting that hit the highlights:

Kabouter said:
I can’t remember the last time I was this impressed by the performance of an actor or actress who I’d never heard of before. Maslany should be cleaning up at award shows thanks to her performances on this show. Aside from that, this is a thoroughly entertaining sci-fi story with some pretty interesting characters.

TripOpt55 said:
Orphan Black came out of nowhere for me and was such a delight. It is quirky and funny without ever exuding the kind of cheese that turns me away from some science-fiction. And it has my favorite acting performance of the year. Lead actress Tatiana Maslany’s work here is simply amazing. It’s the kind of show that is best watched without knowing much going in, so I am trying to avoid many details, but if you are looking for a new sci-fi fix, this one comes highly advised.
It came in #9 on GAF's list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom