• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC: Paris clashes after French police kill Chinese man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Formless

I live in France and I would say people here do not have hostility towards Chinese people, in fact, it may be the opposite. Chinese and Japanese culture fascinate people and we respect Chinese as they are known as hard workers. What is more debated is the quality of factory products they sell, like toys,etc , because of economical competition, but otherwise we appreciate them(and tbh i would be happy to date a chinese or japanese woman one day).

I see..alrighty

Pretty interesting to look at this situation through American eyes. It does seem that protest is more of a thing over in France but I'm sure there's still pushback as there is here.

facelike

After the US Senate revelation today that movements like BLM were amplified by outside interface during an election time, this whole scenario reeks of the same. Mob ties, anti police movements, funky info from all sides, and Russia interference in French election was confirmed to be happening, hmmmmm.

fireflame

on the (German) news they said that the Chinese are targeted by "Arab" street criminals because they are assumed to have money and are expected to not put up a fight or get the police involved. How much of that is true, I don't know

A few years ago a Jew was kidnapped and tortured by a gang called "Barbarians" because they thought he was rich. They baited him with a girl and totured him for 3 weeks, he died.

I dont know if that prejudice targets chinese people and I hope not because that kind of tragedy says the worst about mankind.

After the US Senate revelation today that movements like BLM were amplified by outside interface during an election time, this whole scenario reeks of the same. Mob ties, anti police movements, funky info from all sides, and Russia interference in French election was confirmed to be happening, hmmmmm.
Huh

Joni

Even then though, are the police so poorly trained that they need to shoot to kill when a guy has a pair of fucking scissors? I'd expect them to be better trained than that.

They were confronted by a drunk* attacking individual with a known past of violence and alcohol abuse. They shot him once and then immediately started giving aid.
* Confirmed to have been drunk, but without drugs in his system.

Tiberius

Well it's a known fact that Asian shop owners commonly deal with large amounts of cash that they carry with them, so it's no big surprise that they become a primary target for thieves. Don't know about their relationship with the police though.
Like at Montgallet 10 years ago

Apparently the cops were called there to a domestic disputes, and people in those kinds of calls are known to attack each other or the police with little to no warning. Those kinds of situations are pretty damn unpredictable.

Domestics are apparently some of the most hated calls to respond to, because they are so commonly volatile. We have a family friend who responded to a domestic and had to pull a guy off his wife as he was attacking her. She picked up a skillet and whacked him, the officer not her husband, in the back of the head for trying to cuff her husband. Caused a concussion and almost ended his career as a cop. People involved in domestic disputes bad enough that someone calls the cops are already on edge, asking "why" rarely gives a reasonable answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom