• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC: Zika virus used to treat aggressive brain cancer

NoName999

Until now, Zika has been seen only as a global health threat - not a remedy.
But latest research shows the virus can selectively infect and kill hard-to-treat cancerous cells in adult brains.

Zika injections shrank aggressive tumours in fully grown mice, yet left other brain cells unscathed.

Human trials are still a way off, but experts believe Zika virus could potentially be injected into the brain at the same time as surgery to remove life-threatening tumours, the Journal of Experimental Medicine reports.

The Zika treatment appears to work on human cell samples in the lab.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-41146628

Plague me with mosquitoes to cure my brain tumor if old.

DarkKyo

Anyone else find it really weird that a virus that shrinks infants heads can shrink brain tumors? Fascinating and freaky.

BriGuy

We've been examining this for almost 20 years with other viruses. I used to research measles virus for something similar.

kmax

f5axBKB.gif

BriGuy

Could this help McCain?

Edit: human trials are way off so I guess not :(
There are several clinical trials with other viruses that are recruiting, are ongoing, or have wrapped up.

If you "power of science" guys are really that interested, go do a Google search on "oncolytic virus." It's an awesome field.

Top Bottom