• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BD, Viva Pinata, Gears of War, Lost Planet in Japan!

KingJ2002

if lost planet doesn't continue the wave that bd started... i don't know what to think anymore.

is there any hope for the 360 in japan?

is it a lost cause?

what do you think could possibly sell an American console in japan?

KingJ2002 said:
if lost planet doesn't continue the wave that bd started... i don't know what to think anymore.

is there any hope for the 360 in japan?

is it a lost cause?

what do you think could possibly sell an American console in japan?

there are other rpgs coming for the system

and blue dragon 2 should do pretty well

disappeared said:
lgw.jpg

Should be changed to RETSU GEARS WAR! ~[some funny Japanese name]~

GhaleonEB

Ra\/en said:
no, no it's not.
it most certainly is. If the 360 stays above 20k for the next couple of weeks, there is certainly a scenario, given the 2007 release schedule (Trusy Bell, Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, etc.) where it could move 8-10k/week over the life of the system. That adds up to a couple million units.

Right now it sounds like Blue Dragon moved at least 30,000 units in a couple days, which is huge, especially considering it took the 360 22 weeks to do that at one point earlier this year.

FightyF

Banned
I don't know if I should make a new thread, or possibly derail this one.

But I don't see much of a future for this one, so I'm gonna post it anyways.

I read this thread and wonder...even if MS gave away the 360 for $100 in Japan...would 5 million Japanese bother picking it up?

I mean, the answer is quite likely yes, but I seriously can't say for certain.

If it was for the Wii or PS3, yeah, no doubt, it would be sold out in a week. But the 360...I can't say one way or the other, you could have 3 million interested gamers pick it up and then have it stop there. I get the impression that this is how bad things are there. Of course I could be 100% wrong...this is just my impression.

GhaleonEB

Fight for Freeform said:
I don't know if I should make a new thread, or possibly derail this one.

But I don't see much of a future for this one, so I'm gonna post it anyways.

I read this thread and wonder...even if MS gave away the 360 for $100 in Japan...would 5 million Japanese bother picking it up?

I mean, the answer is quite likely yes, but I seriously can't say for certain.

If it was for the Wii or PS3, yeah, no doubt, it would be sold out in a week. But the 360...I can't say one way or the other, you could have 3 million interested gamers pick it up and then have it stop there. I get the impression that this is how bad things are there. Of course I could be 100% wrong...this is just my impression.
The problem with the 360 in Japan is, it didn't have the games that made people want to buy it. Some hardcore picked it up, but that's it. With Blue Dragon, people are seeing enough of a reason to buy it, and with the bundle there's certainly that incentive. This sales jump clearly illustrates that games will move the system. So my answer is, yeah it can happen, if the content keeps coming.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Perception and perceived value are far more important factors than price. You won't be able to energize a market thats lackadaisical towards your product without some major retooling, something a price gouge won't fix.

Speevy

Banned
Someone make a Japanese boxart that says (using the Viva Pinata font)

"It's Mexican Candy Monster Simulation Party"

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Why is EVERY Korean kid really cute? No one is Korea is bad looking, although I have no idea about Japan. DO NOT WORRY JAPANESE YOUTH, I WILL INVESTIGATE THIS.

Here's hoping Viva sells in japan and korea.

japanvivalazzorz.jpg

White Man

I am still depressed about Viva Pinata. I love that game so much, and I'd hate to think that it's basically signing Rare's death sentence. It's their best game since their N64 games, and maybe their best game ever. A sad fate to think that their finest hour is the one that cut their throats.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
White Man said:
I am still depressed about Viva Pinata. I love that game so much, and I'd hate to think that it's basically signing Rare's death sentence. It's their best game since their N64 games, and maybe their best game ever. A sad fate to think that their finest hour is the one that cut their throats.

Is the tv show on yet? Maybe it could pick up in December or earlier next year if that becomes a hit, and it's advertised better. The tv ad with horstachio is awesome.

toypop

briefcasemanx said:
Why is EVERY japanese kid really cute? No one is japan is bad looking.
Dude, I think that photo was taken in Korea, there are Korean characters.

Back to topic, GoW may be totally doomed in japan.
Those characters who picked 360 and want to play GoW in Japan rather buy it from import shop instead of waiting for 2 months, just like DeadRising. We already got our copies.
And GoW have zero appeal for those who bought BlueDragon bundle, it's still yet another macho shooter for them.

FYI GoW maintains #1 on imported console software charts for 2 weeks.
(NA imports were in serious shortage to meet rankings demand, thanks to asian release.)
http://akiba.ascii24.com/akiba/game/ranking/2006/12/05/666299-002.html?
http://akiba.ascii24.com/akiba/game/ranking/2006/12/11/666489-002.html?

My prediction for GoW sales is 8k-15k and finished with 25-30k.
VP will be even more worse, 1k-3k I believe.(Asian/NA version has all languages)

/back to E.D.F3 - E.D.F! E.D.F!

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Chris Michael said:
Should be changed to RETSU GEARS WAR! ~[some funny Japanese name]~

you must not understand the joke.. :lol

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
border said:
So is Gears censored to death or does it have a Z-rating? Reports seem conflicting. Why bother with all the censorship if you are getting a Z-rating anyway? They might as well take out all the blood and gore so they can get a better rating.

I have a "do do do" leaflet that I picked from Yodobashi in my hands right now

Riot Act (crack down)

Godfather

Vampire Rain

the Nechan game

Dead Rising

Gow

are all Z ratings

Top Bottom