• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Bethesda Obsidian futuristic RPG?

Best future rpg??

• Fallout New Vegas

Votes: 54 47.8%
  • Starfield

Votes: 41 36.3%
  • Outer Worlds

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Fallout 3

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Fallout 4

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Yes its all true this is the time of year where we discuss BGS best futuristic RPG

never played Starfield yeeeeet but so far my favourites are New Vegas and Outer Worlds team obsidian rules

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
SO1_SNES_Logo.png

To early to say as I have not finished Starfield.

It will be between Starfield and Fallout NV/3.

Since I have yet not decided if I prefer New Vegas or 3 so this comparison will also be inconsequential.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I've got a real soft spot for the borderline nihilism of Fallout 3's world, and even though the gameplay feels ancient, I still love adventuring in the Capital Wasteland. For as much as I'm enjoying Starfield, not sure it's gonna climb to those heights. With 20 hours so far, Starfield's at least much better than Fallout 4 and The Outer Wilds, so there's plenty of time for it grab me even more than it has.

Cashon

Banned
I have tried to get into The Outer Worlds multiple times, but there's just something missing from that game. Everything feels halfway there. I love the futuristic sci-fi meets wild west aesthetic, I love Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and I love the sense of humor. But I just can't seem to bring myself to finish it. So far the furthest I've gotten is to Stellar Bay.

Fallout 4 felt like a great improvement in terms of shooting, but everything else kinda felt like a step back. I still really enjoyed my time with it though.

I love New Vegas the first two times I played it, but the atmosphere, in my opinion, pales in comparison to Fallout 3. Sometimes wondering the Mojave makes me wish for a nuclear winter, you know?

I have only played about an hour and a half of Starfield, but I really like what it's doing so far. However, I've decided to wait until my girlfriend finishes it to actually pay it more. At the end of the day, I think my choice would ultimately fall to Starfield or Fallout 3. For now, I'll give it to the latter.

Last edited:

Gandih42

I think Outer Worlds was pretty good but didn't quite have the same magic as NV and Fallout 3.

When I think about it, I think it's mostly due the sense of exploration not being quite there. Somehow a big flat wasteland map feels a lot more cohesive and enjoyable to explore than disjointed planets, and I think that affected the impact of lore and storytelling for me.

Been a bit bummed to hear the critique of exploration in Starfield, as I have found that to be one of the strengths of earlier Bethesda games. But I don't doubt it's great none the less.

My money for the vote would be NV vs Starfield.

Chukhopops

I don’t consider New Vegas sci-fi so I’d say Starfield. If I did it would be NV since this game is simply untouchable.

Space fights, planet exploration, jetpacks and zero-G combat make Starfield feel more sci-fi than OW which is mostly about a couple planets.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
New Vegas is easily and I do mean easily the best game of those mentioned. Fallout 3 being a reasonably close 2nd. Starfield might end up being last when all is said and done. That does NOT mean it's bad. It's quite good actually. I am enjoying the game so far, but I hate the disconnect between planets and such. The lack of a giant map really hurts the game for me.

Last edited:

MangalaX

Neo Member
Starfield!
I mean it kinds of an improvement I would dare say of NV, the dialogs are there, the choices that matter and I mean you got ship and base building.... In my opinion you cant even compare these games. Technically is miles from NV.
Now one thing I've noticed is the enemies dont stand a chance like in NV, I mean I've encountered enemies 15 lvs above mine and they didnt even posed a challenge even in HARD.

Fallout feels completely different as far as a "future" setting to me than Starfield. While it has similar gameplay I wouldn't put them in the same category, but Outer Worlds would feel more appropriate. That said, New Vegas is the best in terms of "post apocalyptic future" and IMO Starfield is a lot more interesting/better than Outer Worlds in terms of "futuristic space setting".

Wildebeest

Strange poll, since there is only one obviously good game on that list (New Vegas), and it is more retro than futuristic.

Last edited:

Filben

I don't find the Fallout games that futuristic. Yes, with retro-futurism it shares the same word, but it's from a completely different perspective than "futuristic" games. And it has retrofuturistic influences but many parts and places in Fallout isn't (retro) futuristic at all.

I think Outer Worlds was pretty good but didn't quite have the same magic as NV and Fallout 3.

When I think about it, I think it's mostly due the sense of exploration not being quite there. Somehow a big flat wasteland map feels a lot more cohesive and enjoyable to explore than disjointed planets, and I think that affected the impact of lore and storytelling for me.
I feel exactly the same. Also, I always thought I'm the only one with that "disjointed" feeling.

Ranking those games right now with only 15 hours into Starfield they would look like this:

Fallout 3 --> Starfield ---->Fallout New Vegas ------> Fallout 4 --> Outer Worlds

I remember clearly the wonder I had exploring the wasteland in Fallout 3 more than anything else here, though technically Starfield is a much better game. I just don't think I have enough time in it to put it above Fallout 3 yet. Fallout NV is too short in my opinion, and even with better stories than Fallout 3 doesn't beat it in my book. Starfield so far has had some amazing missions that really immerse me in the world, and it's super refined compared to the others. Fallout 4 was more of the same with better mechanics, but I put less time in than Fallout 3, and was bored by around 60 hours. Outer Worlds was fun for what it was, but it was literally a 25 hour game at max. and that is if you do absolutely everything like I did. It also gets more and more unpolished the closer you get towards the end. I am looking forward to seeing them with a proper budget for the second one.

Ask me in three weeks and we'll see if Starfield has taken top spot or not.

Laptop1991

New Vegas, still the goat for me, loved the game, the way the world reacted to your choices and actions, and the companions were the most realistic and natural in these games, and the dialogue and overlapping branching quests were top draw, always wanted a New Vegas 2, doesn't mean i don't like the other games in the list though

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Starfield>NV=FO3>FO4>Outer Worlds.

Starfield just has so much stuff to do and little sidequests that pull you in. I love the faction quests + building my own giant ass space ship.

NV and FO3 are both great. FO3 had the novelty factor going for it, it was so cool to experience the Fallout universe in a big ass Bethesda open world RPG. New Vegas wasn’t as polished but had better role playing.

FO4 honestly just didn’t grab me. I got bored when it asked me to sort through garbage looking for materials.

Outer Worlds I played all the way through (including sidequests) and I thought it was thoroughly mediocre.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Also gotta say I absolutely love the environments a visual design in Starfield. Every city looks different and I find myself wanting to see everything.

Fallout just gets too depressing. It’s supposed to be like 200 years after nuclear war, and yet people are still living in ruined pre-war buildings strewn with rubble (that nobody over the last 20 generations decided to clean up) and scrounging around for pre-war nonperishable food. Come on.

Starfield, easily. I recognize that Fallout 3 and 4 are great games, but the setting just feels limited from an artistic standpoint. I need that variety. Also, space music always destroys wasteland music.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I haven't played New Vegas or Outer Worlds yet.

I think Starfield is the best BGS game I've played. But I do miss the VATS system from Fallout 3. Fallout is awesome, but I'm not a huge fan of 50s nostalgia art design. It fits the world and it is a cool world, but the art design and setting in Starfield is so much more interesting to me.

Both games have strengths. Fallout has more of the classic on foot wandering, but Starfield has a lot more complexity, depth, scale, and far better side quests.

I'm sure I'd probably enjoy all the games. I plan on playing Outer Worlds sometime before the sequel, whenever that is.

anthraticus

Banned
New Vegas obviously Bethesda has been making shit for popamolers since Oblivious.

The true Bethesda died after Lefay and Peterson left and Toddler & Rolston became project leaders.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It's got to be either FO3 or FO:NV.

I voted 3 because I prefer the capital wasteland, but that's personal opinion.

Also, it's amazing that FO:NV is way out in front in the poll when that game was made in 18 months! It would take Bethesda 18 years to make the same game..

Cashon

Banned
It's got to be either FO3 or FO:NV.

I voted 3 because I prefer the capital wasteland, but that's personal opinion.

Also, it's amazing that FO:NV is way out in front in the poll when that game was made in 18 months! It would take Bethesda 18 years to make the same game..
What's more interesting is knowing what the reception was like for New Vegas on release. The reputation for this game has only gone up over time.

Senua

What's more interesting is knowing what the reception was like for New Vegas on release. The reputation for this game has only gone up over time.
Yea the bugs were terrible at launch, but over time when they were fixed (by the community mostly lol) the strength of the writing and world-building was finally able to shine!

Cashon

Banned
Yes because voting Starfield as a fresh, new game isn't recency bias. Stop the 🧢
There's an opposite to recency bias as well, called Primacy Bias.

But that doesn't matter. If one were to think critically about how they feel about this list of games, and logically come to the conclusion that Starfield is a better overall experience for them, that's a valid opinion.
For example, if this poll had been conducted right after the release of New Vegas, and there had been some people who thoughtfully determined that New Vegas was better than all of the Bethesda games, despite the consensus at the time, then it looks like that opinion would've held up. The same could be the case here for Starfield.

If one were to come to the opinion that Starfield absolutely could not be the best one, despite not having played it and claiming they never will, well... that's not a valid opinion.

Last edited:

YuLY

Outer Worlds is a joke. I cannot take seriously people who say that game is good. One of the most overrated game of all time, without exaggeration, it's the perfect example of how much Obsidian has fallen since New Vegas days. Current Obsidian is a shadow of the kotor 2, alpha protocol, new vegas times.

Cashon

Banned
Outer Worlds is a joke. I cannot take seriously people who say that game is good. One of the most overrated game of all time, without exaggeration, it's the perfect example of how much Obsidian has fallen since New Vegas days. Current Obsidian is a shadow of the kotor 2, alpha protocol, new vegas times.
I agree with this, mostly. I really want to like The Outer Worlds, but I've tried to play through it at least once a year since 2019, based on achievements, and I haven't gotten any further than Stellar Bay. It's just lacking in a bunch of minor ways that add up to make a game that just isn't as interesting or fun to play as it should be.

Starfield votes are pointless atm because a ton of people who haven't played will vote. But so far I will say starfield off the fact it improves on everything fallout 4 came short in...its very much a spiritual successor to fallout and not ES.

Zuzu

New Vegas is the best for me. And it isn’t nostalgia because I beat the main campaign for the first time in 2021. It’s the best pure rpg of that group though I’ve hardly played The Outer Worlds. I like Starfield the second best from that group.

Alpha Protocol is really cool, I think it's pretty often overlooked.

I couldn't get into Outer Worlds, I played it for about 5 or 6 hours and just wasn't feeling it. I'll give it another try sometime down the road, though.

Top Bottom