• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best budget 1440p monitor suggestions?

Jesb

So my old 1080p monitor has finally stopped working so need something new. I’d like 1440p in the 300 range. I’m thinking of a G5 odyssey 27” for under 300 or maybe the LG 27GR75Q for $329. Any suggestions on these or any other good budget monitors?

Last edited:

Sakura

That’s twice as much as what I want to spend. Over here that is 600-700
Yeah sorry I assumed you were in the US. I'm in Canada too, but when I bought it, it wasn't that expensive.
If it was me I'd with the LG just because it seems similar to what I'm already using, but it's probably a toss up.
There is probably plenty of videos on youtube of people testing the monitors so check those out.

Just go to Rtings and look at the recommended monitors at 1440p to see what fits your budget. I used their site to buy mine. The Samsung Odyssey G7 tested with the highest refresh rate for their recommend monitors, but had the lowest imput lag behind only OLED. I found an open box deal for 400.00 and had to buy it.

The Gigabyte M27Q was my original choice. It has good specs for its price range. Compare its features to LG 27GR75Q to see which is better.

Last edited:

Jesb

Just go to Rtings and look at the recommended monitors at 1440p to see what fits your budget. I used their site to buy mine. The Samsung Odyssey G7 tested with the highest refresh rate for their recommend monitors, but had the lowest imput lag behind only OLED. I found an open box deal for 400.00 and had to buy it.

The Gigabyte M27Q was my original choice. It has good specs for its price range. Compare its features to LG 27GR75Q to see which is better.
I can’t find any reviews on the LG I’m looking at. Rtings also hasn’t reviewed it. Looking at this, the G5 which is cheapest option at 250 here. And also looking at the gigabyte m27q but it is the more expensive of the 3 at $380.

R6Rider

Gold Member
One of my monitors is a Viewsonic 27" 144hz and it's great. I got it from Amazon for only a little over $200 USD. They have another model for cheaper than that. Just search "Viewsonic 1440p monitor" on Amazon.

Last edited:
I can’t find any reviews on the LG I’m looking at. Rtings also hasn’t reviewed it. Looking at this, the G5 which is cheapest option at 250 here. And also looking at the gigabyte m27q but it is the more expensive of the 3 at $380.
The M27Q tested a little better than the G5. They have a 4k 32 inch version as well I think. I found one for 259.00$ brand new on Amazon. This and the G5 are decent gaming monitors, but it depends on what you prefer.

Jesb

I think I may of found something I will really like. I see nothing but great reviews about it. And that’s the GIGABYTE G34WQC.

It’s more than I wanted to spend but it looks like it’s one of the best value 1440p monitors out there. I see one here selling for 429.

I think I may of found something I will really like. I see nothing but great reviews about it. And that’s the GIGABYTE G34WQC.

It’s more than I wanted to spend but it looks like it’s one of the best value 1440p monitors out there. I see one here selling for 429.
It's a VA panel, yes? So, better to Google around for how bad the black smearing is (which is a downside of almost all VA monitors).

b0uncyfr0

The G34WQC isn't better than the G7.

The G7 is the epitome of VA tech - no smearing, no issues whatsoever unlike 90% of VA's

Source: I have a G7. Its the second best gaming decision i made especially if you're gonna push past 120hz. Its really good.

Jesb

The G34WQC isn't better than the G7.

The G7 is the epitome of VA tech - no smearing, no issues whatsoever unlike 90% of VA's

Source: I have a G7. Its the second best gaming decision i made especially if you're gonna push past 120hz. Its really good.
It’s also twice as much as the gigabyte.

hinch7

MSI G274QPF-QD looks pretty decent for $300 or under. Some good reviews from different outlets/reviewers.

QC may be an issue though from looking at Amazon user reviews. So maybe worth going with them; for their free and non hassle returns service.

Last edited:

Jesb

I’m really sold on getting a curved monitor/ultrawide I’d like to try them, but what is the support like for 21:9 ratio on consoles? Does PS5 and Xbox just stretch the screen or some other thing that decreases the quality of the screen on this ratio? Do all pc games support this ratio?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's 2024, go 4K to also play retro games with perfect scaling and crt shaders at their best. Saying this as a late 1440p adopter myself who is waiting for his monitor to die before upgrading too even if that takes more years (bought in 2019).
Read the comments too though, just a start.

Last edited:

KaiserBecks

Take a look at the "ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQZ"

I’m really sold on getting a curved monitor/ultrawide I’d like to try them, but what is the support like for 21:9 ratio on consoles? Does PS5 and Xbox just stretch the screen or some other thing that decreases the quality of the screen on this ratio? Do all pc games support this ratio?

Ultrawide is great, I can't go back to 16:9 on PC. It's not for consoles though, you can choose between a stretched image or black bars to the left and right side. As far as PC gaming goes, I haven't had any issues for years,

acidagfc

I am using LG 27GP850-B for work and games and I am really happy with it. Has 165HZ mode (with both GSync and FreeSync), has some basic HDR, has a versatile stand. Bought 1.5 years ago at around 350EUR, not sure what current prices are.

Last edited:
The M27Q tested a little better than the G5. They have a 4k 32 inch version as well I think. I found one for 259.00$ brand new on Amazon. This and the G5 are decent gaming monitors, but it depends on what you prefer.
I'm using M27QP model. The picture quality is very poor compared to my panasonic 42GT60 plasma (contrast, and black level, motion quality), but compared to other cheap PC monitors it's definitely a decent monitor.

+accurate and saturated colors (but I have to clamp SDR gamut with novideo_srgb tool, because build in SRGB profile is garbage)
+acceptable shadows details
+very good motion quality compared to other LCD monitors, especially 60Hz ones (although my plasma is still on a completely different level even when I play at 170Hz on this monitor)
+170Hz VRR makes a HUGE difference in games. Even older games at 30-60fps are way more playable because V-sync lag is very minimal.
+acceptable viewing angles

-Poor blacks (I have to play in a well-lit room, otherwise blacks look grey.)
-Poor motion qualityb (compared to my plasma)
-Poor HDR implementation, it's better to use SDR on this monitor.

As for 1440p, I think it's the sweet spot in gaming. 4K is way more demanding, and I can still enjoy playing 1080p games on this monitor as well, because 1:1 pixel mapped 1080p is about the same size as on my old 20inch 1080p monitor. The 1080p image on 27inch 4K monitor would be too small.

Overall, the M27QP is not the worst monitor out there :D, but knowing what you are missing will definitely make you want to buy something better soon. Personally I want a proper HDR support, so I'm planning to buy some decent QD-OLED monitor.

Xyphie

Rather than picking some specific model just get whatever is on sale at the moment, there really aren't meaningful differences between all these monitors in the ~$300 range, but sales are very frequent. Go on some price comparison site and filter:
  • 27"
  • 2560x1440
  • IPS panel
  • 144-180Hz, which variation if VRR certification (FreeSync/Gsync) doesn't really matter.
  • If you don't want to use a monitor arm it's worthwhile getting something with a decent stand.
For instance, this one is $199 with a decent stand which is pretty hard to beat.

I'm using M27QP model. The picture quality is very poor compared to my panasonic 42GT60 plasma (contrast, and black level, motion quality), but compared to other cheap PC monitors it's definitely a decent monitor.

+accurate and saturated colors (but I have to clamp SDR gamut with novideo_srgb tool, because build in SRGB profile is garbage)
+acceptable shadows details
+very good motion quality compared to other LCD monitors, especially 60Hz ones (although my plasma is still on a completely different level even when I play at 170Hz on this monitor)
+170Hz VRR makes a HUGE difference in games. Even older games at 30-60fps are way more playable because V-sync lag is very minimal.
+acceptable viewing angles

-Poor blacks (I have to play in a well-lit room, otherwise blacks look grey.)
-Poor motion qualityb (compared to my plasma)
-Poor HDR implementation, it's better to use SDR on this monitor.

As for 1440p, I think it's the sweet spot in gaming. 4K is way more demanding, and I can still enjoy playing 1080p games on this monitor as well, because 1:1 pixel mapped 1080p is about the same size as on my old 20inch 1080p monitor. The 1080p image on 27inch 4K monitor would be too small.

Overall, the M27QP is not the worst monitor out there :D, but knowing what you are missing will definitely make you want to buy something better soon. Personally I want a proper HDR support, so I'm planning to buy some decent QD-OLED monitor.

It was on my radar when I need to buy something new, but didnt know a lot about OLED yet, and didnt want to spend a lot of money. Im aware of its short comings, but its still decent for its price. 1440p and 32inches is equivalent to 1080p on 27 inches in PPI, so when I did my research, the M2Q7 looked like one of the best bargins among 1440p budget monitors last year. All of of the 240hz and above 1080p monitors were sold out.

hinch7

It was on my radar when I need to buy something new, but didnt know a lot about OLED yet, and didnt want to spend a lot of money. Im aware of its short comings, but its still decent for its price. 1440p and 32inches is equivalent to 1080p on 27 inches in PPI, so when I did my research, the M2Q7 looked like one of the best bargins among 1440p budget monitors last year. All of of the 240hz and above 1080p monitors were sold out.
Nah its not that bad. 32" at 1440P is 91.79 PPI. 27" at 1080P is 81.59 PPI. Granted 32" at 1440P isn't that sharp, 27" at 1080P is considerably worse.

Archie501

Neo Member
Take a look at this if you are US based - LG 27GR83Q, regularly drops to $300 range, 27" 1440p 240hz has hmdi 2.1 if you want VRR and use a PS5.

Last edited:

Power Pro

I was gonna recommend my monitor, which is model XB273U, because I bought it off of facebook for only $300, and it's served me pretty well. 165hz 1440p...but looks like amazon is selling it for $700, so I guess I got a pretty good deal on it.

Pimpollo818

I upgraded from 24in 1080p to this 27in 1440p. I don't even notice that it's curved anymore. Maybe just the first week. Always been happy with my Dell monitors. Looks like I got it for ~220 after CA taxes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom