• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best first person Survival Horror

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
I gotta say System Shock 2, with the Rebirth patch.

Hell yeeeeeeeeeeah baby. The amount of times I shat myself when those fucking 2x4-wielding zombies chanting "silence the discord" came out of nowhere, I cannot remember.

Wow. My grammar sucks this morning.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Hooker said:
HL2's Ravenholm with 13 life and no ammo is a good runner up
Yeah I played through the game on hard mode and the constant terror section that provided me was awesome. I really liked how the enviroments rewarded your creativity with traps and random debris.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
The Project Zero/Fatal Frame series. It could even be considered a First-Person Shooter, technically. :D

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
boutrosinit said:
Why? Is it viewed from first person?

Yes, when you "shoot" with the camera, which is the biggest part of the gameplay. Otherwise, it's viewed from a 3rd person perspective.

Teddman

I encourage everyone to play the first System Shock, getting it to boot up on a modern PC is half the battle though. ;)

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
SS1 is better than SS2 but there were tons of improvements in the second, tough choice. My memory on it is a bit vague though since I played it so long ago. I should reinstall it again (I have the initial release CD version).

croce.jpg

boutrosinit said:
Well isn't Far Cry a survival horror (not in the traditional sense)?
No, Far Cry was a game with super-shit enemy-balance and AI.

I mean, yeah, all a tri-gen has to do to kill me is jump near my location, but that doesn't mean it scares me, just pisses me off and makes me exit the game.

System Shock 2

I haven't played many PC games, but I doubt this has been surpassed. It has some of the creepiest use of sound I've ever experienced. And you actually have to run and hide from the enemies a lot, they actually go through the rooms SEARCHING for you, leading to some very tense moments. It totally owns Clock Tower's run-and-hide game.

No-one ever agrees with me when I post about how awesome Alien Resurrection is :(

For a dual-analogue FPS, it actually ends up controlling a lot like Metroid Prime, in the sense that it can be difficult to make happen the things that you want, and in that it isn't about being able to finesse your way quickly round the environments. Run or strafe? The dual shock wasn't made for people who want to do both! It's hard, and it's unnerving, and it's well-balanced. The weapons get cooler in fair proportion to the hellishness of the situations you encounter, so you're always fixated on your best weapon as your hope for survival. More than this it is atmospheric, in authentic Alien-universe style (far more than AvP2, which I bought recently and don't like - something about Monoliths FPS games annoys me).

Ultimately, just like the films, the game is an extended answer to the question of: "What would you least like to happen, ever? In space." It really is a total, authentic nightmare, and scare-wise I seriously would put it on a par with SS2, technology and SS2s undoubtably deeper character aside.

Edit: Forgot to mention my only criticism, which is that sometimes you will be put, or will save yourself, into a very difficult corner, and your only way through it is to rinse and repeat. This happens more and more frequently as you progress, and serves to leach all the character and atmosphere out of your situation, reducing it to a list of necessary actions and rote-learned enemy placings. Still, I think the game definitely deserves a mention here.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
RE4 vs. SH4 said:
System Shock 2

I haven't played many PC games, but I doubt this has been surpassed. It has some of the creepiest use of sound I've ever experienced. And you actually have to run and hide from the enemies a lot, they actually go through the rooms SEARCHING for you, leading to some very tense moments. It totally owns Clock Tower's run-and-hide game.

What's Clock Tower like then?

Top Bottom