• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best gamepads to get for PC now that new consoles are out?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
4o8m54.jpg

The Xbox controller is simply just the best. Its designed to perfectly fit in your hands, and the ergonomic sticks doesn't give you cramps. At least that's the case if you have big manly hands.

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
For sheer usability and one controller to rule em all: 8bitdo SN80 Pro.

I get massive Bluetooth lag using the Xbox One controllers on PC.

For sheer usability and one controller to rule em all: 8bitdo SN80 Pro.
Do you mean the SN30 Pro? I've got the SF30 Pro, which seems to be the same, safe the skin. I've been disappointed with the global quality. The face buttons are not as polished as those on the SNES controller, and badly placed, which makes it uncomfortable to reach the bumpers. I bought it to use it everywhere, I ended up using it nowhere.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
What were you doing? I've had one wired up for years now, get a good thick USB cable and it shouldn't cause any problems.
seriously i did nothing and the usb cable was fine, the port on the controller was fine initially but after a few months i had to bend the cable near the port to get any connection

amc

I heard a few stories about the Elite and Elite 2, people saying they are cheaply built and fall apart. Still took a punt on the Elite 2 and boy am I glad that I did. Almost a year old and even after heavy use it's as good today as the day I bought it. It just feels right.

I literally have dozens of controllers, multiple DS3, DS4, Nintendo Pro, 360 pads, SN30 Pro, fuck I even have a Steam controller and Razer Kishi. None can hold a candle to my Elite 2. It's shit hot.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
seriously i did nothing and the usb cable was fine, the port on the controller was fine initially but after a few months i had to bend the cable near the port to get any connection

You should in teh future get a cable like this, as to not ruin the port

detachable-magnetic-usb-c-type-c-data-charging-cable-white.jpg

Outlier

If you have big hands then DualSense or DualShock 4.
Pros and cons for me:
DualSense - Most comfortable controller I've ever used, but no haptics for PC, currently.

DualShock 4 - Rumble works...

If you have medium to smaller hands then either Xbox (2013 - current) controllers.

Pros and cons for me:
Pros - Rumble works and... replaceable batteries, I guess.

Cons - Too small for my hands, to the point where I'd easy get cramps after a few minutes. Tried the Elite II and returned it after 2 hours, thanks to cramps and the "extra" buttons only replaced existing ones. Not worth $200.

REDRZA MWS

What the title says. By some miracle my gamepad that came with x360 that I bought back in 2005 or 2006 is still alive despite seeing heavy use, but it has a slight stick drift that I've managed well with Steam's own gamepad API and ability to set deadzones, but I think it's now time to retire this old thing and get something newer.

A while ago I wanted to buy the Elite controller but I've read some conflicting reports regarding its build quality so I didn't go for it in the end. Now, with the new consoles out, what are the best options?

Fwiw, I do also care about proper icon display in games and I know that this was traditionally skewed in Microsoft/Xbox's favour on PC, and I've also gotten used to the asymetrical stick layout, so I'm strongly leaning towards Xbox controller, but if the PS5's is significantly better I'd have no problem switching.

If there's an option for wireless with rechargable battery via usb (like cellphones) that would be perfect.

Elite v2. Have it since launch, not a single issue. The build quality is second to none, the grip is amazing, has 4 back paddles if youchoose to use them (or remove them), 3 different trigger locks, and lastly, my favorite feature, the ability to tighten or loosen both analog sticks.

Best controller ever, IMO.

Kadve

The Logitech F710 and F310 are still great and much cheaper than any "console" controller. They even have functions that they lack such as full D-input support, remapping and the ability to switch D-pad/thump stick input on the fly. (which I at least find very useful for games that doesn't support the former)

f710-hero-1.png
775767.jpg

The F510 seems to have been discontinued though, meaning you can't get wired and vibration at the same time.

I've used a variety of wires 360 controllers, XBO controllers, and Dualshock 4s but I currently use the Dualsense on both PC and Switch and I love it. It's just such a lovely controller. If DS4windows ever finds a way to incorporate the triggers and stuff properly it will be perfect.

Nothing has changed. It's still Xbox Elite Controller.

3ae0b4f6-8865-4c21-b086-403980104f7e.jpg

4c8693d9-e5f3-4484-ba86-221499da385f.jpg
I know it's a lovely controller but I just didn't like it and ultimately returned it. The controller overall feels great but it's a little too heavy, and the paddles are badly placed for me. I found myself simply not using the paddles which sort of defeats the purpose. I don't want accidental presses so I returned it which is a shame.

amc

Yeah, dunno what the problem was but I connected my Xbox One controller to my laptop, 1060gb and in certain games the framerate would tank. Same over on my desktop with a 2080ti and my Elite 2.

This was connecting via Bluetooth. Tried all kinds of shit, read a lot of people having the same problem and that it was a bug in the W10 BT stack.

In the end I bought the MS wireless controller dongle for PC, no more game performance tanking. It may have been sorted now and not everyone was getting the problem but I did over multiple controllers and PCs.

Not the pads fault but a Windows driver issues.

Last edited:

TheStam

I'm addicted to the Elite (and now Elite 2) and can't change, but I return them constantly. I basically see it as a luxury subscription service. We get 1 year of warranty over here and I go through about 2-4 a year, it's ridiculous. . Before this I had a Xbox 360 controller for almost 10 years without problems. The Elite's thumb sticks start to come loose and starts to spin for me after a couple of month and I return it on warranty. If I don't the thumb stick eventually get's stuck sideways.. Also had problems with an RB button getting jammed.

I can't even change to another controller now, because at least 50% of my gaming time is spent in Rocket League and I need paddles, no way am I going back to changing my button mapping to something inferior after 2000 hours. Microsoft doesn't allow any 3rd party wireless controller I believe (I do a lot of couch gaming so don't want any cords). So I'm stuck with rebuying these easily breakable luxury controls yearly, it's a bit ridiculous and a crazy waste of money tbh.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
The Logitech F710 and F310 are still great and much cheaper than any "console" controller. They even have functions that they lack such as full D-input support, remapping and the ability to switch D-pad/thump stick input on the fly. (which I at least find very useful for games that doesn't support the former)

f710-hero-1.png
775767.jpg

The F510 seems to have been discontinued though, meaning you can't get wired and vibration at the same time.
the dead zones on these r awful , i had the wired one which was ok for a year but developed a short near the controller end of the built in cable , because of some soldering issue.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
If you game on PC and don't have an Xbox Series controller you are doing it wrong just got mine and I'm really impressed

Arxisz

I use Switch Pro controller with steam for xinput.
Haptic feedback, gyro sensor. xbox stick placement, all the good stuff together with a very long lasting battery.

TriSuit666

Banned
Do you mean the SN30 Pro? I've got the SF30 Pro, which seems to be the same, safe the skin. I've been disappointed with the global quality. The face buttons are not as polished as those on the SNES controller, and badly placed, which makes it uncomfortable to reach the bumpers. I bought it to use it everywhere, I ended up using it nowhere.

Yeah, sorry, the SN30 Pro. I use it on pretty much everything now, PC, Switch, Shield and Android. Can’t really do that with the Xbox one without constantly re-pairing it.

Last edited:

Thabass

Any Xbox One / Series X controller. Don't bother with the PS4/5 because you need stupid apps to get it to work properly.

Xbox controllers work natively with either Bluetooth, a wireless dongle, or a USB (A/C depending on if you have an Xbox One or Series controller).

TriSuit666

Banned
Always use the dedicated USB receiver, no lag. Bluetooth is terrible for that.

Nah, it was purchased for the Bluetooth functionality. Not really into spending extra for the dongle. I’ve got a 360 dongle anyway, and a bunch of 360 controllers,so I’d just use them Instead.

I‘ve had a Switch Pro controller in the past, and I’d say even that beats the One Controller quite handsomely for feel.

Last edited:

martino

There is a lot of different kinds. Search detachable magnetic USB cable. You can get them even with different ends so MIcro USB, USB C etc.
i have two and i'm not a fan in the end (the model i got)
the magetic part is not strong enougth and it make it so hard to remove the adaptive part especially from a controler.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
i have two and i'm not a fan in the end (the model i got)
the magetic part is not strong enougth and it make it so hard to remove the adaptive part especially from a controler.

Good insight. BTW is yours micro USB or USB-C? Seems USB C would be a bit easier

martino

Good insight. BTW is yours micro USB or USB-C? Seems USB C would be a bit easier
same problem with the two adapters for me (one used on xbox elite/ds4 the other on switch pro)
i didn't tried it on dualsense i used the cable of the box instead.
the brand is NetDot Magnetic Series (3rd generation)
Maybe other brands are better at it ?

Last edited:
I have both the Steam Controller and the switch pro controller so I have actually tested gyro quite a bit: https://ibb.co/DM7SZNj

I like it in games like BoTW because you’re not shooting and aiming all the time, but for FPS/TPS I find it tiring after a while, and only use it as a complement to stick aim.

That’s a pointless discussion really so in the end, again, you do what you prefer. I think the convenience, compatibility and general build of the Xbox version is superior, but you’re free to disagree.
It's just such a nonsensical argument to have. Compatibility with a PlayStation controller is equivalent to an Xbox controller if not superior due to allowing native DirectInput support for older games where Xbox controllers lose out in compatibility. Literally all you need to do is install DS4Windows and set it to run on startup and suddenly just like that, turn on/plug in your PS controller and voila it's just as supported as any Xbox controller over the last 15 years. If installing that program and configuring it one time is seriously that much effort for you then I have no idea how you can stomach playing on PC where every game requires you to change graphics settings, resolution etc.

raduque

I use an Xbox One special edition white/gold or a Duke.

I could use my DS4, but I despise the left stick position on the Sony controllers - it hurts my hand after 2-30 minutes.

Hezekiah

Banned
I returned 4 of them
Fuck no

OP asked best controller not worst controller.
What was wrong with the Elite 2? For me there's no way I'm paying £150 for a controller. I've just bought a Series X controller for convenience sake but looking forward to trying the Dualsense on PC.

Rikkori

It's basically still the xbox one (either One or Series). If you like messing around with gyro then an argument can be made for dual sense/sn30 pro+/steam. Personally I dislike the ones like the Elite because it just adds too much shit to the controller that seems cumbersome, might as well just use mouse & kb at that point, and I like using gamepad for light/relaxing gaming rather than trying to be "efficient" or maxing out. They're also way too expensive for how poor their reliability is.

Ehtonk

Neo Member
If you need a good plug and play controller, i would suggest the Xbox Controller family. It just works!
But if you need to lowest input lag for like FPS/Warzone etc. Dual Shock 4 V2

Overclocking DS4 Results:

Here is another sheet with all results:

If you need a good plug and play controller, i would suggest the Xbox Controller family. It just works!
But if you need to lowest input lag for like FPS/Warzone etc. Dual Shock 4 V2

Overclocking DS4 Results:

Here is another sheet with all results:

I'm pretty sure that anyone who cares about latency in FPS games on PC will game with mouse and keyboard and not controller.

Ehtonk

Neo Member
I'm pretty sure that anyone who cares about latency in FPS games on PC will game with mouse and keyboard and not controller.

Thats actually not true. I mean the world record in Warzone for the most kills was set on a controller.
And the controller scene on PC is quite big.

I know what you mean, but games like Warzone or Rocket League shows that a good controller setup can beat any mouse/keyboard player.
Its niche, but its there. And for those people was my post.

Thats actually not true. I mean the world record in Warzone for the most kills was set on a controller.
And the controller scene on PC is quite big.

I know what you mean, but games like Warzone or Rocket League shows that a good controller setup can beat any mouse/keyboard player.
Its niche, but its there. And for those people was my post.
Rocket League is not really a FPS. For that game controller makes much more sense. I didn't know about the Warzone kills record, impressive stuff. Regardless, if you get 2 players with similar skill level, one with a controller and one with M+K combo, the latter will win every single time.

Ehtonk

Neo Member
Rocket League is not really a FPS. For that game controller makes much more sense. I didn't know about the Warzone kills record, impressive stuff. Regardless, if you get 2 players with similar skill level, one with a controller and one with M+K combo, the latter will win every single time.

Yeah, but i mean a lot of people grew up with controllers. And they are really good with it.
Like me. And if you need the best setup for fast pace competitive games like Warzone or Rocket League. Thats it right now.

Of course is a FPS always "better" played with m&k but not for everybody.

Top Bottom