• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda Declined Obsidian's Proposals to Develop The Elder Scrolls Spin-Offs

StereoVsn

Don't disagree with Bethesda's motivation.

But the notion that NV is a better Fallout than 3 or 4 is hardly fact.
Well, on 3 yeah I could see it (kind of) and one could argue about it many different ways.

Fallout 4… is not much of an RPG. It’s a significantly worse game than any other Bethesda title until F76 and Starfield.

Mind you with a bunch of mods it becomes a decent survival shooter with RPG elements but that’s as far as it goes.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This makes me hate Microsoft even more. They should give Bethesda the finger after the lukewarm reception Starfield got and say we are having other studios develop a new mainline Fallout/Elder Scrolls game.

It was Todd Howard's ego and bitterness that prevented us from getting another (and likely) better Fallout game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Honestly I like Obsidian doing their own thing more.
Avowed is more exciting to me than a Fallout or ES spin off.

Something new versus more of what I’d be getting anyways.
You and me must have seen a different game. After the previous trailer my expectations couldn't be lower.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Quest flow would disagree greatly with that. There's so many options in New Vegas it's unreal that it was made in the time it was

mAENC.jpeg
Yeah, this makes me hate Starfield even more. ALmost none of your choices had any impact on other quests. There were so many times I was playing Starfield as a member of the Crimson Fleet where I could have used my membership position instead the quest I was in forced me to fight them.

Mercador

Bethesda had a hell of a run, but I'm pretty sure it's over.
I doubt it, even with Starfield, they still "sell" (gamepass) a ton. But I don't expect to see another Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim from them unfortunately. I really hope for TESVI but seeing how it's going at Bethesda, my hope aren't high.

If they really want to they can always hire him back as a consultant or part timer because despite these issues he didn't leave the industry he was credited for working on Path Finder: Wrath of the Righteous that came out last year.
Nice, I still have to play that game and the first one, they are both in my backlog, going up a few slots now. Hopefully they are just as good as the Baldurs gate games (although I know it won't be on bg3 level , nor would I expect that). Now if only I could drum up more free time.

Last edited:

Dazraell

This makes me hate Microsoft even more. They should give Bethesda the finger after the lukewarm reception Starfield got and say we are having other studios develop a new mainline Fallout/Elder Scrolls game.

It was Todd Howard's ego and bitterness that prevented us from getting another (and likely) better Fallout game.

You have to take in mind that these pitches happened well before Obsidian and Bethesda were acquired by Microsoft

Chris Avellone left Obsidian in 2018. He was doing these pitches probably after New Vegas launch so post 2010

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You have to take in mind that these pitches happened well before Obsidian and Bethesda were acquired by Microsoft

Chris Avellone left Obsidian in 2018. He was doing these pitches probably after New Vegas launch so post 2010
I'm well aware, but there were reports that Microsoft wanted to "respect Bethesda's wishes" on such things. Fuck that crap. Have other studios work on smaller Fallout projects. Don't milk it, but put together a team of modders and make them a studio and have them build another New Vegas as a full time paying gig.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
If people take my tools and build something amazing that is a compliment.

It is the whole Japanese economy. Take what other people invent, like the car and make it better. Radio, made it better. TVs Made them better.

Dazraell

I'm well aware, but there were reports that Microsoft wanted to "respect Bethesda's wishes" on such things. Fuck that crap. Have other studios work on smaller Fallout projects. Don't milk it, but put together a team of modders and make them a studio and have them build another New Vegas as a full time paying gig.
There is one thing you could be pissed at Microsoft though. Obsidian was actually working with them on a game which was then cancelled in 2013 (it was called Stormlands). This cancellation almost resulted in Obsidian being closed. They were saved by Pillars of Eternity's Kickstarter campagin. It's kinda ironic that nowadays MS is giving them financial stability and own IP that saved Obsidian from a mess that happened because of them

But yeah, I would love to play another Fallout from them or a TES spin-off. New Vegas is still my favourite Fallout game out of modern Fallouts and I think they could have a lot to offer with their own take at The Elder Scrolls world

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
There is one thing you could be pissed at Microsoft though. Obsidian was actually working with them on a game which was then cancelled in 2013 (it was called Stormlands). This cancellation almost resulted in Obsidian being closed. They were saved by Pillars of Eternity's Kickstarter campagin. It's kinda ironic that nowadays MS is giving them financial stability and own IP that saved Obsidian from a mess that happened because of them

But yeah, I would love to play another Fallout from them or a TES spin-off. New Vegas is still my favourite Fallout game out of modern Fallouts and I think they could have a lot to offer with their own take at The Elder Scrolls world
Also....fuck Microsoft and Bethesda for not remastering/remaking Fallout New Vegas/Fallout 3. Easiest low hanging fruit in the world.

Shut0wen

Honestly I like Obsidian doing their own thing more.
Avowed is more exciting to me than a Fallout or ES spin off.

Something new versus more of what I’d be getting anyways.
Osidian has made its name off doing other peoples shit and making it 10x better, kotr2, neverwinter nights 2 new vegas, literally there biggest top tier games, pillars and south park were decent the rest is pure mid

Play Enderal Forgotten Stories and see what a talented studio can do with the basic building blocks. Crazy good narrative, interesting characters, fun and unique locations and mechanics.
It's amazing what Sureai done with that total conversion mod. I hear everybody saying it's better than Skyrim.

If people take my tools and build something amazing that is a compliment.

It is the whole Japanese economy. Take what other people invent, like the car and make it better. Radio, made it better. TVs Made them better.
Keep in mind Bethesda didn't even invent the Fallout universe. They rebooted it.

Robb

Gold Member
Meh, I enjoyed Outer Worlds more than I’ve enjoyed any TES/Fallout game. Obsidian should just keep going with their own stuff imo.

Top Bottom