• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill & Ted 3: Face the Music, could release this year!

Some totally bodacious news coming from producer Steven Soderbergh, who let slip during a Q&A at the Slamdance film festival that Bill and Ted Face The Music could end up being released this Christmas and maybe "that'd be a good Christmas present”.

gioxxr7.jpg

Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter are confirmed to reprise their role of Ted “Theodore” Logan and Bill S. Preston Esq., with William Sadler returning to the role of death. Dean Parisot (Galaxy Quest) will direct from a script written by Ed Solomon (the original writer of both Bill & Ted movies).

This is how Solomon has described the story:

"Bill and Ted were told at 16 that they were going to be the greatest people who ever lived. That they were gonna write a song that is going to save the world, and it hasn’t happened. And now they are middle-aged men. They’ve got wives who used to be princesses in medieval England who are now working double shifts at Denny’s, they’ve got teenagers that are about to leave home, money is tight, and they’ve been chasing this dream, writing song after song, when somebody from the future shows up and says, “You have 24 hours. The fate of all of space/time depends on it – and if it doesn’t happen now, it’s never gonna happen.” Bill and Ted are confused because they know they had to have written it, because after all the people in the future told them they did.. so they just must not have written it yet. So in their desperation they decide their only option is to go into the future – to when the have written it – and to steal it from themselves. What follows is a kind of utterly absurd, Christmas Carol-like journey through their lives past, present, and future. Their daughters (Bill has a daughter named Thea, Ted’s daughter is named Billie) are also very involved in trying to help them."​

Though I'm really sad that the late great George Carlin won't be part of the movie, I'm really looking forward to this. Bill & Ted are some of my favorite comedies. It's a movie with great heart and an even better message. Hearing that it is so close to being released after what felt like an eternity in movie limbo, I'm really excited for this. Considering that it's gotten the original cast back together, is directed by a competent director and written by Ed Solomon himself, I remain hopeful that the movie can live up to its predecessors.

Stay Excellent!

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I hope it's good but I do worry that too much time has passed. As you say, the loss of George Carlin is a blow, and I also have a feeling that it'll be a different kind of film, the melancholy of old age looking back on wasted youth vs the youthful enthusiasm about boundless possibilities in the future which seemed to exist back then but seems missing in the youth of today. But then maybe I'm just a grumpy cunt.

Hmmm...I don't know about this. Something about it is giving me that same feeling I got from Dumb & Dumber To... Maybe it's best to let this rest with Bogus Journey.

God Enel

I hope it's good but I do worry that too much time has passed. As you say, the loss of George Carlin is a blow, and I also have a feeling that it'll be a different kind of film, the melancholy of old age looking back on wasted youth vs the youthful enthusiasm about boundless possibilities in the future which seemed to exist back then but seems missing in the youth of today. But then maybe I'm just a grumpy cunt.

Agreed.

I think it happens to a lot of movies that have been a product of its time. Be it Indiana Jones die hard, Terminator or this one. But people still wanna see another part of their beloved movies.
Today’s movies are all after the same concept build. They’re safe - most of them and that makes them boring. They’re ‘artificial’. Like science is applied to them. See all the (same) marvel movies and other comedy flicks. That’s why often times remakes of old franchises don’t work.

Let’s see how this one turns out.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
seeing as they are bringing back the OG writer, as well as the OG lead cast, plus the best film version of Death in decades, i feel like this could turn into something really good. RIP Carlin for sure but tbh they could make a hologram out of his old footage or something, maybe have him pop up in the flashbacks.

Nymphae

Banned
seeing as they are bringing back the OG writer, as well as the OG lead cast, plus the best film version of Death in decades, i feel like this could turn into something really good. RIP Carlin for sure but tbh they could make a hologram out of his old footage or something, maybe have him pop up in the flashbacks.

Sadler is the best and his Death was amazing. Fun fact- he is in the very first episode of Tales From the Crypt "The Man Who Was Death", as a sick executioner who gets off on putting criminals to death, ends up getting fired and continues doing vigilante executions.

I also liked the movie Demon Knight with Sadler, and a great over the top Billy Zane.

Last edited:

DiscoJer

Neat. But one of the problems it faces is that rock music is essentially dead, if not artistically, commercially. For instance, the rock award at the Grammys isn't even shown live anymore.

Last edited:
Neat. But one of the problems it faces is that rock music is essentially dead, if not artistically, commercially. For instance, the rock award at the Grammys isn't even shown live anymore.

Hell nah my dude, rock is timeless. In time it will bring about world peace and unite all nations under the banner of song.

Last edited:

badblue

Gold Member

I don't see how that's a problem. After all they haven't written the song that draw everyone back to rock music yet.

I'll be honest. I've always thought that this storyline had a lot of potential, if done right. I mean, what happens when you tell someone that they are fated to save the world, and then they don't. I mean they'll just keep pushing for this one goal that they are told they are going to achieve and ignore all the little things in life along the way. Everything that we take for granted that makes our lives content would be meaningless to someone like that. They'd grow bitter and resentful.

And here you've got the two most optimistic idiots on the planet. They aren't happy. They aren't going anywhere. And they are starting to doubt the prophecy that they so strongly believed in. And then some new guy shows up with a time machine and says, this time, for sure. They aren't going to get in the phone booth with a goofy grin and an air guitar. And their success in the first two movies was largely built around them being too stupid to realize the gravity of their situation. Now they've got something to lose by getting into that booth. It's not an adventure, it's an obligation.

I'll save the shop talk about how such a narrative could be done, but if they can sell the audience on an old, bitter Bill and Ted, the arc is there and it could potentially be great. I mean, things go wrong. Bogus Journey is a structurally sound movie, but some of the implementation details (Station) really bring it down a bunch of notches. But I think, based on the summary written above, they've really got the beginnings of something that could work.

Top Bottom