• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard under fire from fans after locking Overwatch 2 Diablo skins behind hefty price tag

The reason why it is considered free on Gamepass is because when you subscribed to it originally (like me), I did not care about other games except the ones I was interested in. So I essentially get a free game, because I am a subscriber anyway.

But you pay for Gamepass while you can download it for free everywhere else? I get what you mean with your story but that’s just a feeling of free, not actually being free.

Monkey's paw situation of people who complained about lootboxes when it was easy to grind for coins to buy what you want and not pay for things. Look what we got in it's place.

wipeout364

You're putting value on a "battle pass skip" and imaginary coins/points.

People are very much able to buy the pass if they want to. I'm upset at what Overwatch has become, but if people who want to spend their money on it want to buy it, they can, and Blizzard will keep their prices high. The skin is awesome, and if I played OW I would want it, but I have the self restraint to not purchase it. I would much rather blow money on ski passes, mountain bike repairs, or other games.
That’s because they have a value, not sure what your point is. Why is a 75 dollar ski pass a better value than this package? You make a decision not to buy it, somebody else makes a decision not to go skiing. Everybody in society places different values on things.

But if it’s in Gamepass it’s not “free” anymore because of sub money.
But you pay for Gamepass while you can download it for free everywhere else? I get what you mean with your story but that’s just a feeling of free, not actually being free.

giphy.webp

Overwatch 2 is a free to play video game. It doesn’t matter if it gets added to Gamepass or not. My point was the game’s business model already matches other games that are exclusive to Xbox on the Gamepass service, so there would be even less of a reason for there to be any sudden changes once ABK is fully under Xbox.

Blackage

There are people that play modern Activision-Blizzard games and have surprised pikachu face when they gouge you with microtransactions and pricing? That's the game you play.

giphy.webp

Overwatch 2 is a free to play video game. It doesn’t matter if it gets added to Gamepass or not. My point was the game’s business model already matches other games that are exclusive to Xbox on the Gamepass service, so there would be even less of a reason for there to be any sudden changes once ABK is fully under Xbox.
But my point is, why the facepalm? Actually, the game becomes less free to play than free to play if you have to get it from Gamepass. I wasnt saying anything else than that.

But my point is, why the facepalm? Actually, the game becomes less free to play than free to play if you have to get it from Gamepass.
But you don't.

That's why I facepalmed lol. OW2 is not a gamepass game. At most you will get a free exclusive skin while playing it with Gamepass.

you said it feels as a free game for you because you got it of Gamepass.
No I didn't. I didn't say any of that at all lol. I will break it down(no Lucio pun intended).

-Overwatch 2 is free to play.

-Xbox Gamepass has a monthly fee.

-Because the GP monthly fee is so low and they are offering 70 dollar games on this service, Xbox will not include DLC, Early Access, Battle Passes, and Cosmetics to incentivize people to buy them so that more money is earned to make up for this.

-Because Overwatch 2 is free to play, Blizzard is charging for a Battle Pass, DLC, and cosmetics in order to make up for the fact that the game is free to play.

My point is that both models are so similar, that it ultimately doesn't make sense to use the 'gamepass' argument in this thread, because Overwatch 2 is already following the preferred monetization model for Xbox.

Success

I don’t play F2P games nor GAAS games, satisfied?

"It's gamers that refuse to buy 60-70 Metacritic AA games"

So you were part of the problem as well.

I commend your self-awareness and nonbiased viewpoint.

Not even being sarcastic here.

DrFigs

Why do you guys even want those things? Just never buy anything like that and they wouldn’t try to gouge you. It’s literally just a skin 😵‍💫
I agree 100%. I never buy skins... But....
1. This may be Moira's only good skin.
2. All the advertisements for this event has seemingly been emphasizing this skin. so to find that it costs money is disappointing.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Why do you guys even want those things? Just never buy anything like that and they wouldn’t try to gouge you. It’s literally just a skin 😵‍💫
Most skins aren't even worth it and even when they are, there is going to be a bunch of people that paid for the same skin, anyway.
I remember when Blizzard had some rare, unique stuff to offer. Talking World of Warcraft. Yeah, I spent like 250 bucks and managed to find a spectral tiger in all those useless cards(I did get some tabards, too) That was probably the biggest I've spent on a game, that wasn't on the game itself, or "DLC".
For the most part, I think Skins are a pure waste, minus for the business that wants to make money off of them.

Lastly, the spectral tiger isn't even rare, anymore. I wanted to sell my account (lol) with it and they go ahead and make it fucking available in the black market auction house. FML. I just cancelled the idea.

Griffon

When your playerbase evaporates, the only way to continue making good money is to jack-up the prices.

Their big mainstream success is over, they're now squeezing their niche.

I agree 100%. I never buy skins... But....
1. This may be Moira's only good skin.
2. All the advertisements for this event has seemingly been emphasizing this skin. so to find that it costs money is disappointing.
If I still played the game, this would be a great reason for me to consider the purchase.

Moira's regular skins are so bad that her design starts at a deficit. This new Diablo skin is good enough to match the quality of regular skins from other characters. You can't even chalk it up to new Overwatch dev leads vs old Overwatch dev leads either, because the new guys made characters like Sojourn, Illari, Ramattra, and Kiriko. Moira's design just sucks to look at period.

That’s because they have a value, not sure what your point is. Why is a 75 dollar ski pass a better value than this package? You make a decision not to buy it, somebody else makes a decision not to go skiing. Everybody in society places different values on things.

There is minimal value in a battle pass skip. What they sell for $2 costs a one time negligible cost to the company. Likewise, coins are equivalent to dollars, they're just saying give me more up front, and that truly has no value. The leftover that isn't used is lost. That would be like buying a $1000 ski pass and only skiing 4 days. You lose $200 and just gave the rest to Vail.

A $1,000 ski pass has ridiculous value behind it. There's work being done 365 days per year to provide a service to the customer for that season, like taking the moguls out of the shed from the winter, and it's nearly 24 hours a day in the winter.

Last edited:

Gojiira

People are surprised that Blizzard STILL act scummy after all the backlash of recent years?
Stop playing their fucking games you absolute mongoloids holy shit…

wipeout364

There is minimal value in a battle pass skip. What they sell for $2 costs a one time negligible cost to the company. Likewise, coins are equivalent to dollars, they're just saying give me more up front, and that truly has no value. The leftover that isn't used is lost. That would be like buying a $1000 ski pass and only skiing 4 days. You lose $200 and just gave the rest to Vail.

A $1,000 ski pass has ridiculous value behind it. There's work being done 365 days per year to provide a service to the customer for that season, like taking the moguls out of the shed from the winter, and it's nearly 24 hours a day in the winter.
I don’t really understand your analogy to be honest. The battle pass is luxury item that people can spend their money on. The tier skips are a way for those with time to get more of the rewards. Would you also say that paying extra at universal studios for a front of the line pass is minimal value? Honestly people pay for things they want.

Also do you think the cost of maintaining Overwatch 2 with its development team, art team, PR team, office staff and servers is that much lower than maintaining a ski hill, not sure I would agree with that. I suspect they have a very large staff probably all pulling close to, or over 100,000 a year.

Boneless

So Diablo 4 is like $70. That took 9000 employees 6 years to build. Lets say the employee works 2000 hours per year that is
108000000 hours.

A skin will mainly take 2 employees, a UX designer and a frontend developer. Lets give them a benefit and say they pair on everything, so 4 people. Design would take max 2 weeks, and frontend takes max 2 weeks. That is 160 hours.

Conclusion, they are spitting in your face.

Last edited:

ActusReusJB

Neo Member
You don’t need GamePass to play OW2 for free. I think the original point was this is how games will probably work on GamePass in the future. With an increase in DLC and micro transactions.

FUBARx89

Is anyone honestly surprised? Greedy Avti-Blizz love being greedy little turds. I don't see it stopping now MS own them either.

TheKratos

I have zero issues with MTX in F2P games but having in-game currency and then locking items behind real money is a no go. Once you do this I take my business elsewhere.

Top Bottom