• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Light filtering eye glasses probably have no effect

winjer

Gold Member

Link to the study. It has been peer-reviewed.

Authors' conclusions​

This systematic review found that blue‐light filtering spectacle lenses may not attenuate symptoms of eye strain with computer use, over a short‐term follow‐up period, compared to non‐blue‐light filtering lenses. Further, this review found no clinically meaningful difference in changes to CFF with blue‐light filtering lenses compared to non‐blue‐light filtering lenses. Based on the current best available evidence, there is probably little or no effect of blue‐light filtering lenses on BCVA compared with non‐blue‐light filtering lenses. Potential effects on sleep quality were also indeterminate, with included trials reporting mixed outcomes among heterogeneous study populations. There was no evidence from RCT publications relating to the outcomes of contrast sensitivity, colour discrimination, discomfort glare, macular health, serum melatonin levels, or overall patient visual satisfaction. Future high‐quality randomised trials are required to define more clearly the effects of blue‐light filtering lenses on visual performance, macular health and sleep, in adult populations.

I recently bought new glasses, and they have a blue light filter. I wasn't very keen on it, because it distorts colors a bit with a yellow tint, but the optician insisted on it.
But it might be that it's a pointless feature with no real world advantages.
Although this study was peer-reviewed, it still requires more studies to further validate it's findings.

So the question is for our Gaf colleagues: do you use glasses with blue light filter? And what do you think of it?

Spyxos

Gold Member
I had some once, they didn't help me at all. I now use filters built into the monitor and flux.

I have no doubt it reduces the amount of blue light reaching the eye (also near UV, which is what is really bad, blue light basically doesn't matter much other than "not feeling natural"). But it's both too little of a filter and not worth the money to matter.

Also, if you're particularly sensitive, or have developed keratitis in response to the blue light exposure, it's not going to make sufficient difference.

All in all, these UV protections should be in the itens you're using (lamps, TV's, computers, phones, etc) and not on the spectacles. If you apply a yellow film to your phone, which I did with someone that was very blue-light sensitive (suffering from a Keratitis bout) it'll be way yellower, but also way, way, better for the eyes. Usable even.

I'm obviously not saying that your TV should be yellow, but let's just say that if I recall correctly, 70% of the light being generated by a blue diode is the invisible, near UV kind. Might be less, but it's a lot. And these should definitely have filters built-in.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

serious tokyo ghoul GIF by Funimation

but you look smarter.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
You have to hold eye doctors accountable, I’m not wearing glasses because I can’t read something 100 yards, a mile away (I can) I have blue sunglasses and I disagree depending on the situation blue sunglasses changes the lighting and experience.

Dural

We had to take our kids for eye exams for school and they said one of the kids needed glasses but it was mild and they convinced my wife to get the blue light filter if he plays a lot of games. We got the glasses and he never wore them, this was when he was in like 7 and he's now 14 and doesn't need glasses. I feel like these places just tell you kids need glasses when they really don't. One of my other sons needed the eye exam for kindergarten and they of course said he's going to need glasses in the future. I was there when they checked his eyes and there is no fucking way they could tell whether he would need them with how he was being looking in the damn machine.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I've been told to wear glasses many years ago. I didnt. Im still fine. Friends who started wearing glasses, their eye sights got worse because the eyes got used to what they were wearing. Just common sense. Only get glasses/fliters in worse case scenarios. If you have no headaches, no blurry vision, none of that, dont get anything, ure fine. Get sme vitamin supplements in case ure lacking and thats it.

MastAndo

I don't need glasses for vision, but I bought a pair of blue light blockers from Amazon. I thought they helped with eye strain headaches, but that might be placebo/coincidence.

Anyway, I like the way they look, so lately I've been wearing them when out and about like some sorta tool.

Last edited:

LordCBH

I got blue light filtering on my new glasses this year and I literally can’t tell a difference other than things being tinted slightly yellow. Didn’t know before I got it that the Xbox 360 generation piss filter was an option in real life.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I've been told to wear glasses many years ago. I didnt. Im still fine. Friends who started wearing glasses, their eye sights got worse because the eyes got used to what they were wearing. Just common sense. Only get glasses/fliters in worse case scenarios. If you have no headaches, no blurry vision, none of that, dont get anything, ure fine. Get sme vitamin supplements in case ure lacking and thats it.

Myopia is found to be strongly correlated to lack of outdoor sunlight exposure during childhood.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Myopia is found to be strongly correlated to lack of outdoor sunlight exposure during childhood.
But how much of that is really just looking at things far away?

What we need are VR headsets that trick the eyes to work as if they are focusing in the far distance. Voila!

But remember, if you have unexplained memory lapses, wear your blue light blockers!!! (this is about the deepest movie pull I can manage :p
whjh7EV.jpg

Humdinger

I have some blue light lenses that I clip on my normal glasses. I'll use them occasionally at night, if I need to switch on the TV or cellphone, which usually go off around 9:00 pm. I use blue light (or rather, orange light) bulbs in reading lights at night. I did notice significant positive effects on sleep, when I started using them. I have the flux app on my desktop as well.

CGNoire

But how much of that is really just looking at things far away?

What we need are VR headsets that trick the eyes to work as if they are focusing in the far distance. Voila!

But remember, if you have unexplained memory lapses, wear your blue light blockers!!! (this is about the deepest movie pull I can manage :p
whjh7EV.jpg
Film?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Looker, from 1981. Very early Michael Creighton film before he really blew up. That gun shoots out a swirly blue light that paralyzes people for about 30 seconds. You can imagine the damage that can do. The glasses block the effect. It was played A TON on early syndication, maybe HBO? back in the day. I'm kinda shocked it hasn't been remade, actually.

Cyberpunkd

Optician insisted on it because it's a huge margin add-on for them.
Survivorau GIF by Australian Survivor

People still don't realize how many products are absolutely worthless and the influencer / online media are incapable of providing an honest review. Another example: massage guns - check a single review and count the statements with COULD, SHOULD, MIGHT.
Another example - electric toothbrush. Just get the cheapest one, anything else with AI and 10 different programs is worthless. If your dentist is trying to sell you on a $250 Oral-B he is taking a cut.

Same with polarized lenses - you don't need them by default, they are for a specific case of a lot of sun reflections off surfaces. Yet they are always the default option.

BlackTron

My sister gave me a hard time about buying blue light filtering glasses for her/the kid like they are some big important thing for using the ipad. I asked why not just use a blue light filtering app (like I do on my monitor at night). Turned into another opportunity to make me out to be a Bad Guy™

CGNoire

Looker, from 1981. Very early Michael Creighton film before he really blew up. That gun shoots out a swirly blue light that paralyzes people for about 30 seconds. You can imagine the damage that can do. The glasses block the effect. It was played A TON on early syndication, maybe HBO? back in the day. I'm kinda shocked it hasn't been remade, actually.
Sounds awesome.

Not only that, these coatings scratch easier than the lenses themselves, which could "encourage" users to replace their glasses/lenses more frequently.
Also, apply sunscreen (or even spray/splatter it on them by accident) and they're usually gone/damaged.
My sister gave me a hard time about buying blue light filtering glasses for her/the kid like they are some big important thing for using the ipad. I asked why not just use a blue light filtering app (like I do on my monitor at night). Turned into another opportunity to make me out to be a Bad Guy™
If she behaves like that why do you try? Honest question, seems toxic, I usually let such lemmings fall of a cliff and wait until they ask for help.
Same with polarized lenses - you don't need them by default, they are for a specific case of a lot of sun reflections off surfaces. Yet they are always the default option.
Not in my experience no. I rather like polarized, but it's an expensive extra that most people certainly don't purchase.

Also, nowadays it's a cheap shit coating, or film over the lenses, which is nowhere near as good as real polarized lenses.

Last edited:

BlackTron

If she behaves like that why do you try? Honest question, seems toxic, I usually let such lemmings fall of a cliff and wait until they ask for help.
Toxic doesn't even begin to describe it. It's a bad situation with a complicated answer beyond the scope of hijacking this thread.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I got some cheapo blue filter glasses (no prescription) in a swag bag several months ago. Wife threw them out.

Me: heyyyy!!!

Her: would you ever wear them?

Me: .....no....

This has been my blue filter glasses story.

HoodWinked

Maybe it is placebo but if you feel as if you're getting a benefit there is near zero side effects from using them.

StueyDuck

Look, my optition showed me the latest "tech" and it really does cancel all blue light now... but I've always had the opinion that the strain just came from general strain

That being said, I'm no eye doctor so what can I say really 🤷‍♂️

They absolutely work, at least for me.

I've been using them for years (cheap $10-$20 pairs on Amazon). I used to suffer eye strain and headaches and haven't ever since.

Wildebeest

I heard about this years ago. Those blue light filters can help, but only because they filter out some of the excess brightness in modern life. It is much more sensible to turn down the brightness of screens about as far as is comfortable. Many are ridiculously bright as standard as they are made to look good in showrooms, and the low end of brightness is also still way too bright. Then, for room lighting at night, turn them off or use dimmed lamps. We need something like a natural day/night cycle to rest and recover.

Last edited:
Top Bottom