• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bomba: Shadow of the Tomb Raider is $29.99 on US PSN

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
I show the reveal trailer and got bored immensely, the action was nothing to write home about, the AI was Bethesda level's of bad and the gunplay looked like microwaved food.

CatCouch

I did enjoy it so I hope more give it a chance at a reduced price. Characters matter a lot in games and Lara is one of the blandest parts of the game, though, so I can understand why interest wasn't very high at launch. I was going to try out all the DLC to see if it added anything interesting but Sony has lost me as a customer and I bought SOTTR on PS4. I guess I'll just have to read if anything surprising pops up.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
And then some people still want to "pretend" it wasn't a flop. Funny how games released way before Shadow haven't dropped in price so dramatically post-launch or offered such "special offers"...

In all seriousness the Tomb Raider concept needs to be revisited, rewritten & delivered as a specific platform adventure, puzzle, key retrieval game. Ditch the "new Lara Croft as a third wave feminist icon" bullshit & make an actual Tomb Raider game. It'll cost less & make its fans happier. As it stands, the game was subverted by delusional liars who imagined they could piggyback on the Lara Croft brand & make an Uncharted ripoff with a character who would define a generation. It was so delusional it's beyond absurd.

DonF

I liked the reboot, kinda disappointed with rise, I have close to no interest in shadow...Its weird how it feels just like the first game, in a boring way.

I dont Think squareenix Will learn, they most likely put tomb raider on hiatus, like they did with deus ex
I am amazed How much they are failing i guess dragon quest just saves all your western screw ups.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
No reason to buy it. They are just barely on their second Challenge Tomb™ .

3di3lrhbfgu01.jpg

Wait for the definitive edition of the game next year AKA the finished edition.

Skyn3t

Banned
For 29.99 don't even try to hesitate if you liked both prequels. Not a gamchamger for the franchise by any means, but still a solid action adventure with less shooting and more exploration.

Lastyou1

Banned
And then some people still want to "pretend" it wasn't a flop. Funny how games released way before Shadow haven't dropped in price so dramatically post-launch or offered such "special offers"...

In all seriousness the Tomb Raider concept needs to be revisited, rewritten & delivered as a specific platform adventure, puzzle, key retrieval game. Ditch the "new Lara Croft as a third wave feminist icon" bullshit & make an actual Tomb Raider game. It'll cost less & make its fans happier. As it stands, the game was subverted by delusional liars who imagined they could piggyback on the Lara Croft brand & make an Uncharted ripoff with a character who would define a generation. It was so delusional it's beyond absurd.

Honestly I disagree.
I love the new direction of the TR series.
It has the right mix between action, cinematic experience, adventure, puzzle, etc.

Shadow was doomed the very moment Square/Eidos decided to release the game sandwiched between Spider-Man and Red Dead Redemption 2, when the holiday/early december slot is almost empty and when.january only has REmake 2 as a major release.

They could have avoided Spider-Man and the fanbase warned Square to do so, but they ignored the warnings. It is their fault.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Probably so cheap since it runs so much better on the Xbox One X

/ducks

Filben

For 29.99 don't even try to hesitate if you liked both prequels. Not a gamchamger for the franchise by any means, but still a solid action adventure with less shooting and more exploration.
My thoughts as well. I don't like this half-ass hub and semi-openworld-like approach with the villages and many NPCs to talk to. Just give me tombs, exploration and puzzles. And the puzzles really took me some time, because I don't play with the survival instinct; there is no glow or marker and I often had to figure out where to go, jump, climb and how to get to it. Shooting controls are pretty bad though, because of the input lag and low sensitivity even if maxed out.

Haven't finished it yet, but I enjoy it so far. Also that this time there is real swimming and diving -- a must for any Tomb Raider game.

Too bad it didn't sell well. Maybe wrong timing as well with all these open world, multiplayer, crafting and battle royale games.

I liked the reboot, kinda disappointed with rise, I have close to no interest in shadow...Its weird how it feels just like the first game, in a boring way.
Sums it up for me. Enjoyed the remake. Didn't like Rise at all. As such, had zero interest in Shadow.

Raven117

It is probably a little better than the sales indicate. Its release window was simply terrible.

Tomb Raider needed to be its own thing. While I don't think the new Lara completely missed the mark, they could have done better with her development into the short pant wearing, pistol slinging badass that we know. Instead, we got mostly a cheap Uncharted without the "fun."

To me, I think the apparent problem with the writing was that the writing team did not know how to write a females evolution of the hero's arc, or at least, an orgin story of that. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure its hard. The male version of it has been done for thousands of years, but not so much the female's version. They needed to do more research (and probably hire many more female writers) to make this believable in a way that made sense for a women and for Lara as a character.

Instead, well, we got what we got. None of them were "bad", but but I can't say I have thought about them much after the credits rolled.

Top Bottom