• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 3's first major DLC out Dec 19th. Vault upgrading to 300 storage spaces. Raid arrives Nov 21st, along with a free to play weekend.

The game will be free to play from Nov 21st to Nov 24, on both PS4 and Xbox One, just in time for Black Friday sales.

Jack's back, in the first of four paid DLC episodes:

And here's the free raid that arrives tomorrow:

Other improvements: Vault space upgrade (moving from 50 slots to 300), a reworked mayhem system, loot pools for bosses, a target dummy for weapon / build testing, and UI performance improvements.

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

Does Epic support free weekends?
:O
No..but they do let you keep it if you somehow get it on your machine !!

HA HA HA HA HAHAHAHA!!
n9fw1Uq.gif

I don't suggest actually doing this tho

xrnzaaas

Couldn't care less about the raid, but the expansion trailer looks nice. I'll probably wait for all expansions to be released before returning to the game.

So, for anyone who is playing the game for the first time, or trying out the new Takedown event, what do you think?

Last edited:

desertdroog

Them sweet sweet Zane buffs and skill fixes! I was able to beat the game on my first playthrough at level 47. This was due to the spooky ghost side mission, but it was nice to get such a high level without resorting to a second playthrough slog to skill up.

Gearbox is giving this game some attention, I hope they keep it up.

TacosNSalsa

Them sweet sweet Zane buffs and skill fixes! I was able to beat the game on my first playthrough at level 47. This was due to the spooky ghost side mission, but it was nice to get such a high level without resorting to a second playthrough slog to skill up.

Gearbox is giving this game some attention, I hope they keep it up.
Zane seems fun on mayhem 4 . Because of the increased health you can actually freeze trash enemies now (instead of out right kill them) you can keep your action skills up for a very long time . Some enemies you can even freeze 2-3 times of you hitting your crits

Really happy to see the UI improvements. It's not perfect, but it's much better, especially after loading the menus at least once.

ares04

Neo Member
not gonna lie, i played a bit of this weekend to try out the game and it seemed choppy. I was gonna buy it during black fri but now i think I'll wait lol.

We have to pay to get the vault upgrade?

In game currency, with no option to pay real money for either in-game currency or the vault space directly. It's just unlockable through gameplay, the same with all the other vault space increases.

The real problem is that the update broke all guardian rank perks. I hope those get fixed before the first big DLC episode is released.

Duallusion

I managed to solo the raid but just barely, only on M1 and with Amara. Gave up with Zane. Tried matchmaking to no avail. Farmed bosses on M4 for an hour or two but drop rate and quality felt pretty much the same as M3; i.e. not too good. Didn't get any new legendaries either, yet.

It seems the guardian rank perk issue has been resolved. Also, the Halloween event is over, so it won't affect your game anymore if you're just trying to play the game normally.

There are also now flyers in Sanctuary that are essentially advertising the DLC. I thought maybe it had an early release or something, but they pretty much just direct you to buy something that doesn't exist yet, outside of perhaps the season pass.

Sygma

It seems the guardian rank perk issue has been resolved. Also, the Halloween event is over, so it won't affect your game anymore if you're just trying to play the game normally.

There are also now flyers in Sanctuary that are essentially advertising the DLC. I thought maybe it had an early release or something, but they pretty much just direct you to buy something that doesn't exist yet, outside of perhaps the season pass.

Dlc is dropping 20th December

Can't wait for it, solo'd the takedown with my 4 toons and the only thing I miss is an Em-p5 with the 100% rakk damage anointment. And honestly ? I ain't farming it lol, my lethal one will do

Vault space and a Raid? Serious question for you Blands people... I beat the first and played through most the second and I never got much of a Destiny vibe from it, like yeah it's co-op and yeah you get loot but... I dunno... it felt like a pretty linear campaign-focused game. Maybe I was missing something? Is it truly like Destiny now? Was it already and I just wasn't noticing? Am I putting too much stock in Destiny having social hubs and hub worlds?

Anyone else have an audio bug? When I'm front of any character, I can't hear them till I turn either left it right... And the majority of Echo logs can't be heard when I find them... Anyone?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Nope. Just the intro, for now. Even when/if all the cutscenes will be skippable, you'll still have to suffer through a ton of those talky in-engine sequences anyway.
that's ok man i can just podcast. it's a grindy game.
but at least make me not watch the fucking cutscenes.

whatever tool wrote that story should be shot on sight.
he made me appreciate the story on borderlands 2
how fucked up is that? XD

Last edited:

Sygma

Vault space and a Raid? Serious question for you Blands people... I beat the first and played through most the second and I never got much of a Destiny vibe from it, like yeah it's co-op and yeah you get loot but... I dunno... it felt like a pretty linear campaign-focused game. Maybe I was missing something? Is it truly like Destiny now? Was it already and I just wasn't noticing? Am I putting too much stock in Destiny having social hubs and hub worlds?

Its not a live service game such as Destiny which is using some lite mmos elements. Like there's no world events and the raid is a 20 mins high octane instance more than a proper raid with "proper" tactics if that makes sense ?

That being said Borderlands essentially invented the fps shooter looter genre, and BL 2 had a daily "locked" raid system with tokens and whatnot. Borderlands 3 is more of that with a gunplay / gameplay that honestly utterly shits on Destiny from all directions, mostly because you actually have to aim and unlike Destiny, hitboxes aren't generous at all. I don't know how they nailed that but BL 3 feels like Doom 2016 in terms of smoothness mixed with actual recoil management depending of the guns you're using, its fantastic

Last edited:
Its not a live service game such as Destiny which is using some lite mmos elements. Like there's no world events and the raid is a 20 mins high octane instance more than a proper raid with "proper" tactics if that makes sense ?

That being said Borderlands essentially invented the fps shooter looter genre, and BL 2 had a daily "locked" raid system with tokens and whatnot. Borderlands 3 is more of that with a gunplay / gameplay that honestly utterly shits on Destiny from all directions, mostly because you actually have to aim and unlike Destiny, hitboxes aren't generous at all. I don't know how they nailed that but BL 3 feels like Doom 2016 in terms of smoothness mixed with actual recoil management depending of the guns you're using, its fantastic

I haven't played 3 but I def don't think the gunplay in BL 1 and 2 touches Destiny, I'd easily argue Destiny 2 is the peak of FPS gunplay currently.

Duallusion

whatever tool wrote that story should be shot on sight.
he made me appreciate the story on borderlands 2
how fucked up is that? XD

B2 is a narative/characterisation masterpiece compared to this... Thankfully the gameplay more then makes up for it; so much so I've subjected myself to the main plot more then a dozen times now.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
B2 is a narative/characterisation masterpiece compared to this... Thankfully the gameplay more then makes up for it; so much so I've subjected myself to the main plot more then a dozen times now.
aye i am in for the loot the story was never strong imo,

Sygma

I haven't played 3 but I def don't think the gunplay in BL 1 and 2 touches Destiny, I'd easily argue Destiny 2 is the peak of FPS gunplay currently.

Its not peak of anything when it comes down to FPS gameplay and gunplay. Like lets just not pretend it has any depth and that weapons feel ANY different on pc where there's zero variation from gun to gun when you're using a keyboard, and thats entirely by design. Also given how huge the hitboxes are in the game, you can tell its made to give players a sense of rewarding a low skill ceiling (enemies are barely moving in the game) and giving a spectacle at all times vs actually being a good shooter. CS:GO, Titanfall 2, Wolfenstein and Doom all are vastly, hugely superior to Destiny lol lets be real

You need to aim for real quite a lot in BL 3 and its insanely precise / reactive, the slide shots are present, you can actually reload while sprinting (which you cant in D2 and it fucking sucks tbh) and the sheer variety of possible builds using so many different guns that all feel different is pretty godlike

I'll absolutely agree with you in regards to BL 1 and 2. 3 however has nothing in common with them, its honestly as good as Doom 2016 but with weapons that do have recoil management and an insane variety of them. Like seriously, I don't know how Gearbox did NAIL the gameplay so hard but they absolutely did

Now the story and overall quest design ... these are not quite there. Its really a game you play for the gameplay this time around, not just the loot loop and / or the story. They failed on that aspect (the story that is)

Last edited:
Top Bottom