• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boy Kills World Trailer

Dr_Salt

So I have been following this movie for a while since I am a Yayan Ruhian fan and was surprised to see there is a full trailer of the movie out uploaded by some random people on youtube. There is like zero marketing for this movie and it is supposed to be out soon. Looks fun but I don't get why there is no marketing.

Anyways here is the trailer

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Ok, while this does look fun, all the CG muzzle flashes, blood splatter, and whatnot robs ALL THE ENERGY from those fight scenes. A bit of a crossover from the Alec Baldwin thread, but you can't watch that trailer with all of its modern slick but souless choreography and just wish for real people to have to do that with real props, real action, and real practical effects. There is just a weight and respect that comes from practical effects that CG shoots right past, slicing 5 guys with CG blood and shooting another 10 right in the face with CG muzzle flashes has as much energy, gravitas, and thrill as watching 5 junior high kids dancing at a talent show compared to NFL cheerleaders at the super bowl. You NEED the visceral impact of a REAL WEAPONS firing, real people hitting and being knocked around, of REAL FLUID pushing out of tubes and squib packs drenching the camera in hersey goodness.

/rant off

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So I have been following this movie for a while since I am a Yayan Ruhian fan and was suprised to see there is a full trailer of the movie out uploaded by some random people on youtube. There is like zero marketing for this movie and it is supposed to be out soon. Looks fun but I don't get why there is no marketing.

Anyways here is the trailer

Mr. Feeny is surely going to be upset this time…
0uGw5Qs.jpg

BossLackey

Gold Member
Oh look, another "slowmo single combatant takes on a room full of bad guys that just stand there and wait their turn to die" movie. Plus an edgy irreverent comedic tone and bad wirework!

Was this written and made by AI?

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Looks fucking wacky! I'm in. Especially with some of the shots. I just hope the story isn't a fucking bore where the visuals end up carrying the movie. I want it to be cohesive.

BlackTron

This looks dumb.
roll roll roll
Is this a Dark Souls meme?

Made it seem like a Kirkland's Signature brand version of The Raid: Redemption

I'll probably give it a chance though. Sam Raimi, and they have till next year to tighten it up in post production.

KrakenIPA

Ok, while this does look fun, all the CG muzzle flashes, blood splatter, and whatnot robs ALL THE ENERGY from those fight scenes. A bit of a crossover from the Alec Baldwin thread, but you can't watch that trailer with all of its modern slick but souless choreography and just wish for real people to have to do that with real props, real action, and real practical effects. There is just a weight and respect that comes from practical effects that CG shoots right past, slicing 5 guys with CG blood and shooting another 10 right in the face with CG muzzle flashes has as much energy, gravitas, and thrill as watching 5 junior high kids dancing at a talent show compared to NFL cheerleaders at the super bowl. You NEED the visceral impact of a REAL WEAPONS firing, real people hitting and being knocked around, of REAL FLUID pushing out of tubes and squib packs drenching the camera in hersey goodness.

/rant off
I think you are on to something here. I really like this take. There is a danger in promoting realism in shooting movies while shooting guns. Real guns are very dangerous.

CGNoire

/rant off
100% This.

ahtlas7

Feels like a kmart brand Kill Bill/Sin City/Spartacus. Agree with AJUMP23 AJUMP23 it could be fun. Especially in 4dx because there’s nothing like having your chair beat the shit out of ya.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think you are on to something here. I really like this take. There is a danger in promoting realism in shooting movies while shooting guns. Real guns are very dangerous.
Any stunt is dangerous. That's why stuntman exist. CG allows for these in frame close contact shots to the face, something that was always an editing trick before, but to the surprise of no one, it is a novelty that can quickly wear off and make the audience numb. The endless long take of the Extraction films is another good example, I just got bored after the fifth guy gets flipped from the hip, takes 2 shots to the chest armor, staggers up, then takes 2 shots to the face and is kicked into the sixth guy patiently waiting just off screen so the process can repeat again.

This thing worked well in Tony Jaa films or The raid, even Jackie Chan, because they were REALLY THROWING PEOPLE and doing kinda dangerous things. You FEEL the risk, the effort, the athleticism, and the artistry. But when CG is used too liberally it adds this layer of unreality, permits more sloppy choreography, or worse, lets an untrained actor run around as if they know WTF they are doing. Old school gun films, and even the Wick ones, had EXHAUSTIVE gun handling training to sell the effects. Wick really ran with the CG effects but the bones of skill were still there (though they ran into excess as well). But go look back at Collateral and see how Cruise did that quickdraw and close contact double tap scene. It was WORK and it SHOWS. Obviously citing Mann for gunplay is kinda like citing Cameron for effects, they are the masters of the craft and few can match them, but it illustrates the point. CG allows for too much and devalues the action while simultaneously allowing for too much of it.

I'll leave this here as the good standard for when CG says "yeah we can do that" but a practical effects team would have had to say no for fix it in a way that made it at least look decent.

7x94h8w.gif

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Those Skaarsgard kids have some good genes. They are constantly getting jacked and ripped. Looks fun enough. I'll check it out on streaming.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Those Skaarsgard kids have some good genes. They are constantly getting jacked and ripped. Looks fun enough. I'll check it out on streaming.
I bet they are those annoying fucks that can walk around at 4% body fat while eating ice cream and swilling beer, everytime they walk past a gym they gain an extra ab muscle.

But let's be honest, only the True Blood guy looks completely put together, his brothers all trigger some sort of uncanny valley response in me. (and no, not in my pants!).

Top Bottom