• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BP boss "absolutely" would eat Gulf fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
BP's chief operating officer sought to give the southern US fishing industry a much-need boost on Sunday, saying he'd "absolutely" eat Gulf of Mexico seafood after the massive oil spill devastated the region.

Doug Suttles's vote of confidence came two days after Louisiana state authorities reopened 6,200 square kilometres of coastal waters for fishing, with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) saying Gulf seafood harvested from such open areas is safe for human consumption.

Environmentalists worry that not enough testing has been done on the seafood, and say BP's use of chemicals to dissipate the oil from the surface means there are lingering questions about toxicity in the fish.

When asked by a reporter whether he'd eat the Gulf's bounty, Suttles didn't flinch.

"I absolutely would," he told reporters after joining a flight over the Gulf to track the oil, which he insisted has dissipated dramatically.

"There's been a tremendous amount of testing done by NOAA (the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) and the state agencies and the FDA and others. They're not going to open these waters to either sport fishing or commercial fishing if it's not safe to eat the fish," he said.

"I have a lot of confidence in those agencies and I trust their recommendations and I would eat their food -- the seafood out of the Gulf, and I would feed it to my family," he said.

The Gulf of Mexico is known for its shrimp, crab, oysters, and dozens of species of fish.

The billion-dollar industry is of national importance: the fertile Mississippi Delta region provides for some 40 per cent of US seafood production.

BP leased the Deepwater Horizon rig that exploded April 20, killing 11 workers and sparking the spill.

Between three million and 5.3 million barrels leaked into the Gulf from April 20 to July 15, when a cap placed over the wellhead was sealed, fully containing the flow of oil for the first time.

Crews on Sunday were ramping up efforts to permanently seal the ruptured oil well.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1316687/BP-boss-absolutely-would-eat-Gulf-fish

iee1yg.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Wow, totally beat me to that Simpsons reference because that is the first thing that came to mind.

Celsior

k stream him catching, cooking and eating a gulf fish. I can say fish from the long Island sound are awesome fish and not eat it too.

Gaborn

Picture is perfect for the story... but is this REALLY surprising? If we can't trust NOAA and other science based organizations who do you want to trust?

Dali

What about the fish and sealife populations? Aren't we kind of putting ourselves on the road to devastating the population even further by opening the waters up to commercial fishing so soon after such a huge disaster?

kamspy

teruterubozu said:
:lol We've all been eating Gulf seafood. You just don't know it.

Do Van De Kamps fish sticks come from the Gulf?

I think it's the only fish I've eaten since the spill. Pretty sure at least. Should probably find out.

Srsly

Banned
I would eat fish from the GoM, just not any from within a 300 mile radius of the leak or wherever the oil has drifted since.

kamspy said:
Do Van De Kamps fish sticks come from the Gulf?

I think it's the only fish I've eaten since the spill. Pretty sure at least. Should probably find out.

If you've eaten shrimp pops, fish sticks, fish & chips, etc. then yes, you have been eating Gulf seafood without knowing it.

I go to Alaska for my salmon thank you very much.

I take my private jet.

XiaNaphryz said:
Pfffft, California gets it's own seafood thank you very much.
Two thank you very much's in a row.

I'm rock hard right now.

kamspy

teruterubozu said:
If you've eaten shrimp pops, fish sticks, fish & chips, etc. then yes, you have been eating Gulf seafood without knowing it.

These ones are like $2 more than regular fish sticks though. Just a small step from being fillets.

I wonder if they count.

Gaborn

Guy Legend said:
http://commentariesonthetimes.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/glenn-beck-fox-news.jpg

Actually I was thinking more that people who are just going to ignore NOAA's position on this are more akin to vaccine conspiracy theorists - the science doesn't matter, just your own fears.

Dali said:
What about the fish and sealife populations? Aren't we kind of putting ourselves on the road to devastating the population even further by opening the waters up to commercial fishing so soon after such a huge disaster?

Can't just say sorry to all the commercial fisherman on the coast either. They already have a large area shut down and now have to share more than they would. I'm willing to bet most species' seasons will be cut short too.

way more

teruterubozu said:
Organic? Bluefin tuna is in danger of being overfished.

I sincerely doubt most people can afford to buy it so often. I also doubt many can appreciate it's taste the way I do.

Zeke

make him and his family have a sea food buffet on live tv. I don't eat sea food to begin with so whatever.
mac said:
I sincerely doubt most people can afford to buy it so often. I also doubt many can appreciate it's taste the way I do.
I really hope your just being an ass and not serious here

Well he can talk the talk.

mac said:
No, he's right. Worldwide sushi demands alone threaten the fish badly. And as for not many people being able to appreciate it as much as you... :lol

The entire nation of Japan would probably beg to differ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom