• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breakdown - Just Finished

wipeout364

Just finished it. Comments - Cool Story, Hand to hand combat is interesting and relatively well executed, Weapon based combat is ass, piss poor level design, though may be good for retards since you don't worry about ever getting lost since everything is one long hallway. Bland graphics for most part. Extremely frustrating difficulty in areas. hand to hand combat does not work well against more than two opponents, at times you need to fight 4-6. Overall 3/5.

robot

I agree with basically everything u said - i thought the story made up for all the faults tho. They did an incredible job of immersing the player into being Derek (if that makes sense). The 2nd half of the game is where things got really crazy, just when you think it's over...its not. Oh, and the jeep was a cool idea, but handled like ass.

Oh and I played on easy cause I heard how frustrating it gets later on - maybe thats why I enjoyed more than most people.

wipeout364

Yeah I know I'm late to the party but that line is getting kind of old. I swear to God I was going to put the controller through the TV at various points in some of those fights. I must have fought SOlus 20 times.

rastex

Banned
I love the parts that are all trippy. VERY effective use of visual effects, and I thought Alex was a great sidekick, probably one of the best sidekicks in recent memory.

thom

"... and I thought Alex was a great sidekick, probably one of the best sidekicks in recent memory."

Yeah, except for the dumb AI when she would stand around during a gun fight allowing herself to be shot a dozen times.

i got the japanese version on release and i gave up when i got to the white room with the respawning enemies.
you guys are right, the engine cant handle fights with more than 2 opponents.
very, very annoying.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Such great atmosphere and story and characters, such awful level design. Let's pay some money to send copies of Riddick to the Breakdown team (or what's left of them).

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Sho Nuff said:
Such great atmosphere and story and characters, such awful level design. Let's pay some money to send copies of Riddick to the Breakdown team (or what's left of them).

i know i'm alone on this, but breakdown was more enjoyable and more satisfying then riddick (though both were great). it was definitely more flawed, but its high points were much higher. ok, i've ruined my credibility :p

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Graphics are a solid 30fps and are good in terms of gritty industrial design and some interesting characters and weapons. But overall, technically unimpressive (save some -great- use of filters and F/X for psycho-scenes and hallucinations), and it looks like it was designed for the lowest common denominator (PS2). Could have been greatly improved for the xBox version, but they didn't.

Sho Nuff

Banned
The Japanese version sucked butthole because it didn't have progressive support, 30fps only (sorry, I know what a frame rate maniac you are :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sho Nuff said:
The Japanese version sucked butthole because it didn't have progressive support, 30fps only (sorry, I know what a frame rate maniac you are :)

Seriously? Wow, I'm absolutely SHOCKD that Namco added 480p support in the US version...

epmode

i'm pretty much in agreement with this one. i like the game, but it has serious problems. it's as though the developer decided to make an fps without ever having seen one before. almost like they had read about them, but never played one themselves.

for all its problems, there are some amazing parts. the hallucinations put eternal darkness to shame, and some of the bigger set pieces have a great sense of immersion, what with the excellent camerawork in the scripted events.

Top Bottom