• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout 3 demo now available in the UK*

cja

*when you pre-order from Game and give them £2

bo3demo.jpg

Also available online

Unfortunately the demo due for inclusion on this months official rag has been delayed.

Drexon

Banned
ME WANTEE! Unfortunately I can't go check if this is the deal in Game stores in Sweden as well... there was some trouble... I can never go back..

cja

Drexon said:
ME WANTEE! Unfortunately I can't go check if this is the deal in Game stores in Sweden as well... there was some trouble... I can never go back..
Did you abuse a magazine rack, sir?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Milhouse31 said:
Could someone tell me if a PC version is in dev ?

Burnout has yet to appear on the PC and, although EA is now publishing, I don't expect that to change.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
You know, it's been months since I bought a game for full price, but this...this is reeeally tempting. :)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Drexon said:
You're Swedish, how else are you gonna buy a PAL game on release date? :(

I don't get what you're saying. What I meant was, I usually don't buy games when they are released, and instead wait for a price drop or similar. This could be an exception though. :)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Drexon said:
Ah, ok. I've always thought that pricedrops are nowhere to be found here, so I thought you imported. =)

I almost always import nowadays. Import + pricedrops/pre-played is the ultimate cheap-ass combination. :p
I'll probably import Burnout 3 too, from the UK or something.

Drexon

Banned
Playing it now, it's a short-short like 1min race where you basically can try out. Feels like something's missing though. I think it's that supery sense of speed I had in Xbox BO2. :/ Either way the gameplay's teriffic. 'Body slamming' opponents into other cars and stuff on the road is the funnest thing ever. :) :) But as I said, boost mode just doesn't feel all that supery fast, and it's way harder to steer in boost mode now. Also the sound effects for near misses and such are missing, wich totally sucks as you keep thinking "Did I miss that? How close do you have to get?".

pilonv1

It's so short it's barely even a demo! Still lots of fun, but I completely agree with you about boost mode not being fast enough. However if you get a boost from a takedown you seem to go faster. And it's amazing how much harder to steer it is too with a boost. The AI is a lot more evil this time round, I was just driving as I normally would in Burnout and to taken down. There's multiple routes too, and the traffic is definitely a lot less scripted. The demo level has a lot more 90+ degree turns too, and most of them are blind so you'll never know what's around the corner.

The only sad thing is that the crash views are 30fps. I'm hoping it's fixed because it's horribly jarring coming from the fastes 60fps you'll ever see back to a PGR2 like 30fps. It does play this eerie music in the background which is really nice, and your crashs combo is listed at the bottom of the screen. There's also a lot of stuff going on while you're driving which can distract you, and also your opponents tyres will leave trails of smoke which are impossible to see through. Very annoying.

The sense of speed is there (theres even motion blur as you drive normally), but the in the zone feeling when boosting isn't there from Burnout 2. Still plenty of time to fix it up though.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's so short it's barely even a demo! Still lots of fun, but I completely agree with you about boost mode not being fast enough. However if you get a boost from a takedown you seem to go faster.
Wow, that's a surprising comment. From the videos it looked like it moves a lot faster than what I remember from BO2. Maybe you get faster cars/boosts later in the game? That would actually be a nice incentive to upgrade your car.

The only sad thing is that the crash views are 30fps. I'm hoping it's fixed because it's horribly jarring coming from the fastes 60fps you'll ever see back to a PGR2 like 30fps.
Hmm, that sucks. Are you talking about the crash mode or the crashes in general, during the race, when the camera switches outside your car to show you the crash? Does that crash view look much better/more complex? Why do you think they had to go 30FPS in it?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
As with BO2 and BO1 you're not going to get the fastest sense of speed until you get the faster cars and then its a noticeable difference. Also, the burnout meter looks like it has several more levels from before. From the sound of how short the demo is, I really doubt that you're getting a complete insight into how fast the games goes at its max.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Can any of you describe what the powersliding and overral handling is like? I mean, can you drift ala Ridge Racer? Daytona? Has force feedback been confirmed?

pilonv1

kaching said:
As with BO2 and BO1 you're not going to get the fastest sense of speed until you get the faster cars and then its a noticeable difference.

But there's always been a noticable difference. When you press the boost button in BO2 you hear it kick in then the music picks up and the sensation of speed heightens. You don't get that "feeling" from this. Granted it is a (very short) demo, but it's one of the best features of the previous games. I'm sure faster cars will make a difference, and possibly to the handling too because the demo car oversteers like a mofo ;).

Also, the burnout meter looks like it has several more levels from before. From the sound of how short the demo is, I really doubt that you're getting a complete insight into how fast the games goes at its max.

Yeah it appears to have more levels but the demo is too short to really tell. As I mentioned takedowns seem to result in faster boosts. One thing I forgot to mention is that when you "takedown" an opponent it shows you their crash, which is fine but it cuts away from your driving, and then throws you back into it after. Hopefully theres an option to turn it off, because it's quite jarring to get back into a race after seeing a slow motion crash.

Thanks for the impressions.

I'm really looking forward to the game. Huge fan of both Burnout 1 and 2. It's good to hear that this game will probably be more challenging then Burnout 2. Burnout 2 was a great game and improved a lot on the original but I was disapointed in the much lower difficulty compared to the original. Particually because you were using the Burnout meter constantly. It seems to be the same in Burnout 3 but at least they are making the cars handling harder and I;m excited to hear the 90 degree corners are returning. They were in the second game but no where near as much as the original. Plus Burnout 1 had shit loads of traffic at those corners.

As for the change in camera angle to show your takedowns, it looks very cool but I can see where it will probably become annoying after not too long and lose its "coolness". I hope theres an option to turn it off too.

The thing that still disapoints me about the series since Burnout 2 is the overuse of the Burnout meter. It's just not as exciting or cool to use it now since its soooo easy to earn and overused. You really had to work hard to get it in the first game. At least in Burnout 3 they are adding much more depth to the game in areas such as the Takedowns, aggressive and smarter AI cars, etc.

Drexon

Banned
Actually, I got the feeling the burnout meter is more used in this one. :/ When you get a takedown you get more or less a full meter, and after you crash you get to keep most of it. :/

Drexon said:
Actually, I got the feeling the burnout meter is more used in this one. :/ When you get a takedown you get more or less a full meter, and after you crash you get to keep most of it. :/

Well I can thanks the damn casual gamers. Everything has to be catered to them if it wants to sell. At least give me different difficulty settings for the AI cars like the first game!

pilonv1

I'm wondering how online play will work with takedowns and crashes - I'm guessing you wont get crash replays or takedown replays since they would interrupt races, but if they you did you'd have to view everyone elses crashes.

pilonv1 said:
I'm wondering how online play will work with takedowns and crashes - I'm guessing you wont get crash replays or takedown replays since they would interrupt races, but if they you did you'd have to view everyone elses crashes.

I'm sure there would be crash "replays" but without the ability to slow down time and cause more damange. (forget what they call it). They aren't really replays anyway. Just taken at a different camera angle. Only real crash replays were in the first game where it shows you the crash several times.

Top Bottom