• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout spiritual successor Dangerous Driving getting open world sequel

Bullet Club

Burnout spiritual successor Dangerous Driving getting open world sequel

Paradise found.

The creators of Burnout have announced their next project - an open world follow-up to last year's Dangerous Driving.

EhSL1jt.jpg

Dangerous Driving 2 has a "holiday 2020" release window for PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and - unlike its predecessor - Nintendo Switch. I wonder if it'll turn up on next-gen consoles too?

This sequel is again made by Three Fields Entertainment, the British indie studio set up by former Criterion bosses Fiona Sperry and Alex Ward.

But where Dangerous Driving took inspiration from Burnout's early era, Dangerous Driving 2 looks set to riff on the series' open world Paradise.

"Set within a dynamic open world, players can choose how they want to race," a press release reads, "either by competing in a host of thrilling events against AI opponents or going for a cruise in freedrive mode and testing the limits of the game's emergent crash mechanics with huge multi-vehicle pile-ups.

"This world can be explored solo or in split-screen multiplayer, while those looking to challenge the best drivers around the globe can take the action online."

Last year's game was praised for bringing back Burnout's classic feel, more than a decade after the franchise's last full release.

"The spirit of Burnout returns in a game that trades big-budget spectacle for pure speed," Christian Donlan wrote in Eurogamer's Dangerous Driving review.

Source: Eurogamer

GHG

Was dangerous driving actually any good?

Completely slipped under my radar because they went Epic Games exclusive and it's hard to find any real impressions because ya know... no owner reviews on the epic store.

Hope it's better than the last game they made. Plus side Nintendo Switch release sounds good. It's what I'm looking for and I'm shocked that EA haven't taken the time to port Burnout onto the system for some quick cash flow because it would sell like crazy that much I know.

VertigoOA

Banned
Alex Ward was the man behind Criterion. I’ll be optimistic. First two Burnout games were a bit mediocre but I loved them... and then Burnout 3 came out to be one of the best arcade racers of all time.

Ewww at Paradise sequel tho.

Last edited:

Pejo

While the gameplay and racing were great in Paradise, I hated the open world stuff.

Still hoping Dangerous Driving eventually comes out on another PC launcher, but what an awful name. Sounds like shovelware right off the bat, regardless of quality of the actual game.

wvnative

They really need a publisher to get a budget worthy of burnout.

Their recent games are just lacking that burnout feel no matter how hard they try.

drganon

Meh. Dangerous Driving itself wasn't that good and going down the same shitty path that paradise went down holds no appeal to me. Wish EA would just remaster takedown since it looks like no new game is going to come close to in quality it seems.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
spiritual successor

Oh yeah, let's only game ever which pulls that off was Wreckfest.

CamHostage

Bumping this not because there's news yet on Dangerous Driving 2, but because in something like 5 minutes at THQ's show, this thread should fall back into the archive likely either as irrelevant (they may have changed the game to something else?) or as a reminder of the mystery of its disappearance (they moved onto another project?) Either way, Three Fields news should be in the THQ Nordic show.

(Also, this thread is lacking video, there's only a little bit out there and the game was still early but still worth checking out where Dangerous Driving 2 was at in 2020: )

Last edited:
Paradise being open world made it worse in many ways, specifically the tracks weren't nearly as good.

The main issue with open world racing games relative to closed track racing games is, you're limited by the layout of the overworld, and many tracks are bound to have significant overlap in what roads they use. I loved Paradise but imo it was way inferior to my favorite racing game Burnout 3

Spyxos

Gold Member
I loved Burnout. So i bought Dangerous Driving and, oh boy, this game was not good. They really need more budget for a game like Burnout.

Top Bottom