• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying stuff from the US PSN for non-US residents

Raist

Banned
I've posted this in the Dragon's Crown thread, but I figured it might have a better visibility as its own thread.

While creating a US PSN account if you're not actually living in the US is rather straightforward, things can get a bit more complicated when one wants to buy stuff from the US store, because quite often payment with non-US credit/debit card won't go through. This is especially true for EU cards because banks are putting more and more online checks in place (be it additional passwords, billing address info confirmation, etc).

There are ways around that, like ebay, but it might feel unsafe, or would often involve shipping of the actual card etc, and can turn out to be a bit more expensive than the face value of the card.

So given that DC won't come out in EU for a while still, I was looking for a way to get the game now as it's just been released on the US store, and found out that there's actually an easy, safe, quick and cheap way to do it via Amazon.

All you'll need is your CC/DC infos, and a "dummy" (but real) address, so just pick a hotel's or something. Be aware that some US states apply taxes even for DD purchases, while some don't. Alaska is fine, for instance.

So all you need to do is to create a US PSN account on your PS3 using that dummy address. Don't tie any CC info to it, it's not required for this to work.

Create a US amazon (so amazon.com, not .co.uk or .de etc) with that same address as your billing address, and buy a $20 or $50 PSN card code from there (which are actually priced 19.99 and 49.99). You'll get the redeem code immediately after check-out.

I obviously can't confirm it will work for any bank in any country, but for me payment went through just fine without any additional password, IP or billing address checks as Amazon somehow seems to bypass all of that completely, while it did not work at all directly from the PS store.

As far as I'm aware this seems to be the best option out there: as I mentioned they don't ship an actual card but give you a code straight away, plus being Amazon I guess it's quite safe, and there's no extra cost.
It might even be cheaper that way, as quite often the £/€ prices on EU PSN stores are not as good as they should be considering actual exchange rates.

Maybe it's old news, but on GAF I've always seen "buy a card from ebay or someone in the US" suggestions, so I figured this might be helpful.

Vee_One

So to create a USN PSN account simply create a new account based in the US? Im interested in getting Dragons Crown for vita. Should I get another memory card to be associated with US PSN or can I use my existing? Also, how exactly do you redeem the code? Just confirming before I try this, really keen to play Dragons Crown and Muramasa.

Top Bottom