• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Camilla Luddington Says Shadow Of The Tomb Raider May Be Her Last Time Portraying Lara Croft.

Sounds about right with Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal making a GaaS Avengers game. Might be a while till we see another Tomb Raider

muckymucks

Neo Member
It'd be a shame if Luddington walks away after Shadow but she gave three exceptional performances and she'll give another actor the opportunity to step into Lara's boots.

CatCouch

I'm glad to see there is some appreciation of Lara and Tomb Raider as iconic1 A positive view in regards to women in games is refreshing here after hearing so much negativity in recent years.

I really hope there is more Tomb Raider to come where Lara can be fleshed out more. This trilogy was fun but inconsistent for me (Shadow is a damn good game, though). There's a lot more that can be done! I'd love to see Lara back at the top of her game (locking butlers in freezers)!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
She was always fine as Lara. At the end of the day though they just put way too much emphasis on her character in these games. She is largely a player avatar blank slate. The star should have been the tombs and the gameplay additions. Her characterization should have been some additional flavor, not the main focus of the games.

Vlaphor

Well, I hated the Lara from the reboot trilogy, but a lot of that was the script, so I can't blame her for everything. Still, a bit of emotion probably wouldn't have hurt in ROTR.

I doubt there's any chance of the real Lara Croft coming back, but I'll keep hoping.

Thabian

Someone spoil me. Was Shadows of the Tomb Raider a send off like UC4?

Lara becomes a literal god at the end of the game, then she sacrifices herself and becomes human again. The end scene is her safely in her mansion reflecting on her experiences. It's a happy ending with room for her to continue her adventures.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Lara becomes a literal god at the end of the game, then she sacrifices herself and becomes human again. The end scene is her safely in her mansion reflecting on her experiences. It's a happy ending with room for her to continue her adventures.
Wow, they went full alien or whatever.

Kenpachii

LOL

Azurro

Banned
I haven't played Shadow of the Tomb Raider, but Lara as a character is really boring in the last couple of games, but that's not the fault of the actress, just the writing is dull af.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
That’s a shame. She really embodies the rebooted version of the character.
Well, the reason is that the third game is the end of the rebooted version of the character. It was always meant to be an origin trilogy and that is now done. It's time to move to 30 year old Lara.

This takes Mary Sue writing to another level.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Maybe we can finally leave that terrible sexism behind and allow Lara to be male, now.

If some weirdos could actually get that discussion started about a female James Bond, why shouldn't it be possible for Lara Croft? :messenger_beaming:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
thought she did a decent job, but the material she was given was wholly uninteresting.

looking forward to a classic design reboot.

odhin

I've liked her on the first one (2013 reboot) but yeah, not too bummed about this news.
There is no Lara like the OG Lara (yes, the one from and only the first game lol)

Top Bottom