• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can friendly fire work in an action game?

Physiocrat

I am currently replaying the Witcher series and fought alongside some dwarves in a particular part.

During the fight I thought, I glad there is no friendly fire otherwise I would probably have incinerated most of my allies. I also thought more importantly that it would be really annoying in this scenario as it would make signs (basically spell like abilities) useless because you would not be able to precisely circumscribe the area of impact. Also a stray swipe the of the sword would be relatively easy too.

I can see friendly fire working in a turn based game because you can clearly see impact area etc but in an action game it would seem very difficult to implement without being really annoying (especially with dumb AI from your allies).

Am I wrong? Have there been any action games with friendly fire that worked well?

Stuart360

I hate friendly fire in games. Its really annoying in stuff like Elder Scrolls and Fallout, where you will be attacking something and a civilion or villager will walk in front of you and you hit them by mistake, and the town tirns on you. Same with the situations where you are fighting alongside friendly npc's, like you said, then you hit one by mistake, and they turn on you lol.
I'd prefer at least a toggle in these games.

Physiocrat

I hate friendly fire in games. Its really annoying in stuff like Elder Scrolls and Fallout, where you will be attacking something and a civilion or villager will walk in front of you and you hit them by mistake, and the town tirns on you. Same with the situations where you are fighting alongside friendly npc's, like you said, then you hit one by mistake, and they turn on you lol.

Toggle?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Anyone else?
I agree with your first post. It can work for games with more high level strategic gameplay where things get isolated and units attack independently. Everyone gets their own comfort zone.

But once you got everything mixed in and you're doing real time gameplay slashing with your sword, I don't see it working.

Gaming is meant to be accessible where you can spam moves without worrying about real life physics or friendly fire (ie. an axe swing hits one other object, not slicing through 8 enemies, 3 dumb NPCs, a tree trunk and a brick wall at the same time)

Last edited:

Aenima

Monster Hunter has a soft friendly fire. Weapons dont damage ur companions but can interrupt them. It adds an extra strategy layer as players try to position in certain ways depending of the weapon they use.

Dr. Suchong

Monster Hunter has a soft friendly fire. Weapons dont damage ur companions but can interrupt them. It adds an extra strategy layer as players try to position in certain ways depending of the weapon they use.
Was about to post this.
The endless, tedious whinging about Long sword users I endured when I first started playing is still ringing in my ears.
It's "LONG"
I could understand if you had a tiny dagger and were interrupting attacks with that. You'd obviously be right in the face of other players and seemingly deliberately being a dick.

Last edited:

Dr. Suchong

What about Demons/Dark souls?
Once you hit a friendly npc in that by mistake, you're fucked lol

Top Bottom