• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you back up a multi CD game onto a single DVD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecrofirt

I've got a few games that get quite a bit of playtime in my PC, and I've noticed the CDs are starting to scratch up a bit.

So I was wondering if it's possible to copy the contents of the install CDs onto one DVD-R, and still be able to install the game later if I need to reformat or anything.

Burger

Sure, make ISO's of each cd, then back those up to a DVD. Daemon tools will let you mount each disc seperatley.

You could put each cd's contents under different folders, like CD1, CD2 etc. However, most games are looking for the contents in the root of the installation drive, some will let you specify where to install from though.

Option 1 is the safest bet.

DJ Sl4m

You can't just copy the contents from a CD game, it has to be ripped with the correct program to defeat any anti-piracy non-sence.

And yes it is non-sence when it comes to backing up your own games, IMO of course.
*I've always thought it pretty petty when people make you say "IMO", like whos damn oppinion would I be talking about other than my own anyway ?* {end rant}

Some CD games I'm guessing could certainly be ripped properly to your HDD, then burned as data to a DVD later along with other games, but not all.

Probably not games that require more than 1 cd, and do a check for it.

Ecrofirt

Burger, I realize most games are looking for the contents on the root of the drive.

What I'm wondering is if I can copy the contents from each CD right onto the DVD so that all the files will be in the correct spot. Will the installation work correctly?

Burger

Most games don't have copy-protection actually protecting the installation itself, just the game executable. Some will look for Daemon tools etc and refuse to install, but not many.

Erco, it depends on 1 thing really. If there is a file on CD1 called something like Install.Info and the same file is on CD2 with different data inside (that the installer needs) then no. You obviously cannot copy 2 files with the same name into the root.

So if the game data is all stored in 4 files called 'data.cab' (over 4 cd's) then your fucked. You'll have to check out each game as they are all going to be different.

Depends on the game. IIRC, I saw a walkthrough to make a DVD version of Doom III and FarCry. I'd really like to make a DVD version of FarCry because 3+ CDs is just stupid to have to deal with if you want to reinstall a game. Why do they even bother releasing it on CD only if you need a $300+ card to run it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom