• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

can you believe it's been 5 years already since nextgen gaming began?

which headset first got you into VR?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Romulus

I’m sorry for everything internet! I’ve been so so sooo wrong.

Tried a Oculus Quest 2 today, and Moss.

I don’t know what to say...

I’m essentially considering cancelling my 3080 order to buy a Quest 2 instead.

Resolution and raytracing etc means nothing compared to interacting in a VR world.

Started googling on how to best step into VR gaming. Learned that PSVR2 would have a cable, just one though so better than old PSVR but I still don’t want that. Is there anything else besides Quest 2 where I don’t have to be connected to a box with a cable?

Pretty much every day on reddit "I'm sorry I actually tried good VR and I was wrong." lol

Thanks okay then that’s the one to get I assume. How important is the memory size? Just for storage? Is it worth the extra money to have the bigger memory unit? Are there games bigger than 64GB?

if you don't plan to play pc (which can be played wirelessly), then the games will be stored in the device, but luckily most VR indies are pretty light and around 1GB. TWD at around 10GB is one of the few big ones.

I bought the 64GB $300 model, can't complain at all for the bang for the buck. It holds fine around 20 games or so, from classics like Doom and Half-life 1 to SW Tales from the Galaxy's Edge, which is among Quest's most technically impressive releases...

I played it a lot, enjoyed, it's certainly today the best bet for a VR beginner, but without a pc I had to go back to my trusty old psvr for meaty games. You know, VR is very mind-blowing as you finally discovered, but the honeymoon phase fades out and if you're left with mostly mini experiences, you get tired of it. But for the ticket of admission, you can't complain - Quest benefited from 5 years worth of some good VR indies ported over...

Fredrik

if you don't plan to play pc (which can be played wirelessly), then the games will be stored in the device, but luckily most VR indies are pretty light and around 1GB. TWD at around 10GB is one of the few big ones.

I bought the 64GB $300 model, can't complain at all for the bang for the buck. It holds fine around 20 games or so, from classics like Doom and Half-life 1 to SW Tales from the Galaxy's Edge, which is among Quest's most technically impressive releases...

I played it a lot, enjoyed, it's certainly today the best bet for a VR beginner, but without a pc I had to go back to my trusty old psvr for meaty games. You know, VR is very mind-blowing as you finally discovered, but the honeymoon phase fades out and if you're left with mostly mini experiences, you get tired of it. But for the ticket of admission, you can't complain - Quest benefited from 5 years worth of some good VR indies ported over...
Wait you can play wirelessly from a PC to Quest 2? 😲

Anyway, sounds like the 64 GB model is enough as a starting point at least now when the games are smaller. I guess there will be new headsets when VR gets big enough to get big releases, so future proofing right now seems unnecessary.

Fredrik

Uhhh yes!? It's actually the only thing I do with my quest 2 XD
It actually got a bit easier because you don't need to enable a dev account and sideload a patch...

just get virtual desktop on the quest store and install the streamer app on pc

That’s wild! Is the latency okay?

Having to disconnect all 5Ghz devices from the wifi network seems annoying though. And I have everything wireless including the PC which was a no-no going by that video. :/

Stitch

Gold Member
That’s wild! Is the latency okay?
I don't really notice a difference from my Vive. (Well it does look much sharper) Works perfectly. And I still have stuff like my phone, tablet, my echos and other stuff connected to the network lol
But I do have my PC wired to the router.

Sure, with all the settings in VD and the router it takes a bit until it finally works perfectly, but when it finally does.. oh boy. VR wireless is really wild :D

Fredrik

I don't really notice a difference from my Vive. (Well it does look much sharper) Works perfectly. And I still have stuff like my phone, tablet, my echos and other stuff connected to the network lol
But I do have my PC wired to the router.

Sure, with all the settings in VD and the router it takes a bit until it finally works perfectly, but when it finally does.. oh boy. VR wireless is really wild :D
Sounds awesome! I’ll definitely give it a try if it works with other devices still on 5ghz wifi. I’m already blown away by the stand-alone Quest 2 VR.

Kazza

I thought this was a funny troll thread until I bought an Oculus Quest 2 earlier this week, but now I realise that it's 100% spot on. Stop trying to convince yourselves that a remake of a PS3 game and last-gen Spiderman DLC is "next gen" people, and jump on the VR train. Unlike next gen consoles and GPUs, the Oculus seems to be consistently in stock too.

I thought this was a funny troll thread until I bought an Oculus Quest 2 earlier this week, but now I realise that it's 100% spot on. Stop trying to convince yourselves that a remake of a PS3 game and last-gen Spiderman DLC is "next gen" people, and jump on the VR train. Unlike next gen consoles and GPUs, the Oculus seems to be consistently in stock too.

there's nothing more nextgen than being inside games in VR.

I already look back at tv gaming as board gaming - an ancient medium, though still fun...

Romulus

And in actuality, it's more like a true next-gen leap instead of this bullshit ps3-ps4 we're used to now. More like SNES-N64.

Each new game is a new place to visit, a different world to go to, regardless of genre. I pop the headset on and boom, I'm not in my living room anymore.
VR is like a magical hammer that broke the tv and the real world surrounding it, so you're left inside the game.

tons of smaller, 10 hour experiences that I'm fine with. Back in the N64 era, ten hours wasn't considered a 'mini game'. Not everything has to be a thousand hour gaas.
true, but face it: it's around 4 hours for most VR indies, not 10...

VR is kind of magic when it works, but you go through all that trouble setting your play area and those devices for playing maybe hour or so before you become exhausted

my ancient psvr never left the side of my PS4, I don't need to set it up every time I want to play, just wear it - I comfortably play for hours and while just sitting at the sofa I actually feel like I'm at the cockpit of ships covering insane distances or jetpack jumping through landscapes without end... there's no better feel...

It's amazing to me that subnautica has more vr interaction than skyrim. They already have an object rendering and physics system in place all they would need is to rework controls to make it like hands touching objects but they couldn't be bothered. Lazy bethesda. A modder was able to do it. Probably added a few lines of code and a variable on each object.

really? Last I heard, VR mode in Subnautica is very subpar.

People crap a lot about Skyrim VR, call Bethesda "lazy", because mod X whatever runs and makes feature X available X years after it was made to run on psvr with much more limited hardware - can mods achieve such constraints?

Holding every prop in your hands in VR is cool, but useless. It's nice that physics is there and you see bones from skeleton warriors falling downhill after you defeat them - that's more useful to me than taking tea cups in your hands.

In vanilla Skyrim VR you can raise your shield, swing your sword, draw the cord of your bow and aim, cast spells with your hands, punch with your bare fists and last but not least, actually swim underwater. I'm pretty sure that's a lot more interesting interactions and mechanics than just holding props in your hands in Subnautica...

Skyrim and NMS so far are the flat games with best and most featureful ports to VR - Hitman comes close too, despite wonky tracking limitations of the gamepad...

Kazza

And in actuality, it's more like a true next-gen leap instead of this bullshit ps3-ps4 we're used to now. More like SNES-N64.

Has there been any truly new genres since the DC/PS2/GC/OGXBox days? The gen before that was full of "What would a racing/platform/flying/adventure/etc game be like in 3D?", so even old genres felt fresh. Then we got GTA3 and other open world games. But after that....? Battle Royale games count as new, maybe? It seems we've just been getting the same types of games, only with better graphics.

Playing Superhot VR these past two days has felt like popping Tomb Raider into my Saturn back in 1996 - I'm playing an entirely new type of game the likes of which I have never experienced before. Exciting times!

Kazza

true, but face it: it's around 4 hours for most VR indies, not 10...

To be honest, I'm quite happy paying £20 for 4 hour long VR games at the moment. For me, the sheer freshness of the experience more than makes up for the brevity. Give it a few months of VR gaming and I might change my mind, but I can easily see myself replaying many of the VR games without getting bored.

Romulus

Has there been any truly new genres since the DC/PS2/GC/OGXBox days? The gen before that was full of "What would a racing/platform/flying/adventure/etc game be like in 3D?", so even old genres felt fresh. Then we got GTA3 and other open world games. But after that....? Battle Royale games count as new, maybe? It seems we've just been getting the same types of games, only with better graphics.

Playing Superhot VR these past two days has felt like popping Tomb Raider into my Saturn back in 1996 - I'm playing an entirely new type of game the likes of which I have never experienced before. Exciting times!

I don't think there have been any real changes since the early 2000s. I can fire up my 2002 OG xbox and get 98% of the gaming experiences I get now, but lower resolutions. It's a fucking joke.

See, those are the people that I honestly feel bad for. People who grew up and got to experience real leaps forward like the 3D era, but they've formed an opinion based on youtube, which conveys absolutely nothing about VR. The leap is absolutely staggering from traditional gaming to real VR.

Last edited:

SScorpio

Check out Pixel Ripped 1989 and 1995 for an interesting retro gaming and VR mash up. Just avoid reading too much about it, there are some nice surprises you don't want to spoil.

I don't think there have been any real changes since the early 2000s. I can fire up my 2002 OG xbox and get 98% of the gaming experiences I get now, but lower resolutions. It's a fucking joke.

See, those are the people that I honestly feel bad for. People who grew up and got to experience real leaps forward like the 3D era, but they've formed an opinion based on youtube, which conveys absolutely nothing about VR. The leap is absolutely staggering from traditional gaming to real VR.

bunch of kids attached to real old-school gameplay and limited input devices from last century, back from my childhood days. We instead were always looking forward for the next big thing, more immersion etc. What went wrong?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Got a Rift at work never actually gamed on it even though we use game engines for pretty much everything right now.

Top Bottom