• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can't make this up - the same house reps that introduced a bill promptly decide to vote against it.

NickFire

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/396818-dems-say-theyll-vote-no-on-their-abolish-ice-legislation

With respect to congressional obstruction, this story may take the gold. Apparently, three members of congress decided to introduce legislation to essentially abolish ICE. After doing so, they were apparently shocked to find out that the house leadership would allow a vote on their bill that they felt was so important they proposed it for a vote. In response to the leadership's audacity to allow a vote on the bill they took the time to draft and introduce, they immediately decided they would vote against their very own bill. And, no joke, they actually blamed the leadership for their change of heart, because they felt the leadership was only allowing their bill to be voted on as a political stunt??

Yes, you read that right. They introduced a law, were given the opportunity for a vote on it, and then claimed it was all a political stunt by their opponents to actually let them vote on their very own proposal!!!!! And now they want the country to believe that introducing the law was no political stunt, but being allowed to actually vote on it was!!!!! Unbelievable, but hopefully the people in their district remember this nonsense at the polls. Can't imagine anything more useless than a congressional representative wasting time with stupid proposals, only to blame their opponents for running away like scared children when they are given a chance to vote on their very own stupid proposals.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Sounds like they got caught with their pants down.

Dat strong, confident Democratic leadership. Shape up your party, ya clowns.

Atrus

Gold Member
Did the Democrats ‘trust’ Paul Ryan’s claim that he wouldn’t push for bills Trump wouldn’t sign? I’d have thought the implied “unless we can use it against Democrats” part was obvious.

Sounds like a poor political gambit that’s now blown in their face. Now Warren et all will be on record against the abolishment of ICE and the Republicans will have a ‘tough against crime’ prop for their respective jurisdictions.

“Child exploiting, pro-gang Democrats want to dismantle ICE!
The bill was so bad for America even the Democrats voted against it!”

manfestival

This unfortunately is a terrible look for the democratic party. I would love a better equilibrium of politics for this country.

Last edited:
And, no joke, they actually blamed the leadership for their change of heart, because they felt the leadership was only allowing their bill to be voted on as a political stunt??

That's exactly what Ryan is doing. Ryan has refused to bring forth any other immigration related bill to a vote.

NickFire

That's exactly what Ryan is doing. Ryan has refused to bring forth any other immigration related bill to a vote.

It doesn't matter what Ryan's motives were. These three drafted and proposed a law. They got their way and were allowed a vote, and then ran away crying that they didn't really want to vote and Ryan is mean and nasty for letting them have what they asked for. This was pathetic, childish, and proof that they stand for nothing but pandering to the crowd (that only exists in their imagination apparently). If they had an ounce of moral fiber they would have proudly voted for the law they felt was so important they would spend the time they are paid to represent people drafting it.

I remeber Sanders and Warren wanted ICE to abolish. Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi did not. Kamela Harris wants to keep it but reform the ICE.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That reminds me of the time a bill was introduced to reinstitute the draft, and the authors voted against it lol.

If I'm remembering that correctly.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Honestly those senators should face repercussions for wasting taxpayer funding.

They are utter tools for submitting a bill they wouldn’t support.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Nope, they will just unanimously vote themselves pay raises like they always do, every single time it comes up.

Tons of bills are submitted. That bill hasn't actually come up to procedure. This is just posturing between the majority and minority now. Ryan will not bring this bill up, it's almost guaranteed.

They are wasting a whole bunch of time though.

Kids are still in cages.

Tons of bills are submitted. That bill hasn't actually come up to procedure. This is just posturing between the majority and minority now. Ryan will not bring this bill up, it's almost guaranteed.

They are wasting a whole bunch of time though.

Kids are still in cages.
And yet we have the drafters prior to voting declaring they'll vote no. I don't see why you are making light of this. They could have shut their mouths or said something along the lines of waiting for bipartisan discussions over the feasibility.

This is not a good look.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I remeber Sanders and Warren wanted ICE to abolish. Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi did not. Kamela Harris wants to keep it but reform the ICE.

It should be kept but a little bit reformed.

I find it appalling to see people protesting/harassing them at human trafficking and sex trade stings/arrests.

All-or-nothing approaches in some instances never work when one should still have empathy and ethics for the good that is being done, as the example given.

Last edited:
Top Bottom