• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carbon Engine Wishlist

So Carbon Engine is essentially an emulator? I though it was kinda lame when I heard about it at first, but there are many positives to them creating this platform... It gives these classic games a chance to come back for a new generation to experience on modern platforms and for preservation purposes on physical media is awesome.

CamHostage

So Carbon Engine is essentially an emulator? I though it was kinda lame when I heard about it at first, but there are many positives to them creating this platform... It gives these classic games a chance to come back for a new generation to experience on modern platforms and for preservation purposes on physical media is awesome.

It's an emulator package, but with hooks for modification.

So with an old game inside Carbon, they can add FMV/still cutscenes and new music to the River City Girls Zero port of Shin Nekketsu Kōha: Kunio-tachi no Banka, or it can (I assume, by the trailer) replace the FMV of Tomba with an upscaled version, or it could allow Trophy/Achievement unlocks, etc.

It runs the game, but then also has the engine on top of it to interrupt or replace aspects of the game on demand. (Limited Run is saying they want "carbon copy" releases accurate to the originals, but given that they're aready modifying the games for localization/modernization, hopefully they're not too opposed to options such as retouched assets or speed stabilization hacks or maybe widescreen hacks where applicable... and ideally they'd treat them as "options", so you could play the original version or turn on the hacked alternative version in the same release.)

These things aren't unfamiliar in ROM hacking communities (and Digital Eclipse has done some of these things too,) but it's a step above what's typically done in emulated console releases.

Last edited:

Griffon

Wtf is carbon engine? Don't assume we know what it is OP. I've never heard of it.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Wtf is carbon engine? Don't assume we know what it is OP. I've never heard of it.
My understanding is that it's software made in-house by LRG that is able to 1:1 emulation on modern systems. Apparently with it they can also make modifications where they want while keeping the core gameplay intact.

RickMasters

- Panzer Dragoon Saga without discs change
- Fighters Megamix with online gameplay
- Skies of Arcadia GameCube

This…… and throw in midnight resistance…. I miss that game. And do an Irem anthology/ collection.

I know I’ve missed out something…… port a bunch of Amiga games. I love my retro games.

Edder1

This could be a big money maker for these guys since they can license it to other publishers/devs to do their retro ports.

It's an emulator package, but with hooks for modification. So they can add FMV/still cutscenes and new music to the River City Girls Zero port of Shin Nekketsu Kōha: Kunio-tachi no Banka, or it can (I assume, by the trailer) replace the FMV of Tomba with an upscaled version, or it could allow Trophy/Achievement unlocks, etc. It runs the game, but then also has the engine on top of it to interrupt or replace aspects of the game on demand. (They're saying they want "carbon copy" releases accurate to the originals, but given that they're also modifying the games for localization/modernization, hopefully they're not too opposed to options such as retouched assets or speed stabilization hacks or maybe widescreen hacks where applicable... and ideally they'd treat them as "options", so you could play the original version or turn on the hacked alternative version in the same release.)

These things aren't unfamiliar in ROM hacking communities (and Digital Eclipse has done some of these things too,) but it's a step above what's typically done in emulated console releases.

That's a great summary and outline of the potential of such an engine. I'm excited about the potential here

-Planet Laika w/English translation (already exists; more people should have an easier way to play it tho. I'd love a physical release)
-Linda 3(cubed), English translation
-Virus (Saturn); English translation
-Kowloon's Gate (PS1); English translation
-SEGAGAGA; English translation
-Omega Boost
-Rising Zan (prob for a physical re-release)

Reactions: Isa
Same. I saw a couple of those limited run trailers and the complete lack of gameplay makes me more than a little worried.

I mean, Limited Run aren't the ones actually making the Tomba or Gex ports. That's WayForward.

LRG are just printing the physical edition of those games. As for Carbon Engine itself, well Modern Vintage Gamer is the one who developed it. He's a very prominent retro gaming Youtuber, and he has industry credentials (he worked with NightDive Studios for example).

Last edited:
This engine sounds great

What retro games would you like to see on it?

I would love to see a The Last Story and Skies of Arcadia port

As for unreleased in America, they could bring over Venus and Braves
Isn't Last Story a Nintendo IP? If it isn't, then it's absolutely baffling as to why it hasn't been ported to everything, because it's a magnificent hidden gem.

Personally I'd love to see a R-Type compilation. Give us everything from the first game to Final in one package please!

Last edited:
1C1x.gif

ClassicBlackCanvasback-size_restricted.gif

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's an emulator package, but with hooks for modification.

So with an old game inside Carbon, they can add FMV/still cutscenes and new music to the River City Girls Zero port of Shin Nekketsu Kōha: Kunio-tachi no Banka, or it can (I assume, by the trailer) replace the FMV of Tomba with an upscaled version, or it could allow Trophy/Achievement unlocks, etc.

It runs the game, but then also has the engine on top of it to interrupt or replace aspects of the game on demand. (Limited Run is saying they want "carbon copy" releases accurate to the originals, but given that they're aready modifying the games for localization/modernization, hopefully they're not too opposed to options such as retouched assets or speed stabilization hacks or maybe widescreen hacks where applicable... and ideally they'd treat them as "options", so you could play the original version or turn on the hacked alternative version in the same release.)

I hope they add HDR on the platforms they support (think auto HDR like MS did for XSX) as they could then add scanlines / CRT filters that do not over darken the game (they can balance that effect with the heightened brightness and contrast possible with HDR).

Some games, most of our 2D classics, are just not meant to be played without a good CRT filter:
0e9j712.jpg
L45hsqO.jpg

Etc…

Esppiral

It is just an emulator with a front-end in disguise, you are better emulating your games with any of the free open source emulators I even bet it won't be as good as. Them.

Shut0wen

Isn't Last Story a Nintendo IP? If it isn't, then it's absolutely baffling as to why it hasn't been ported to everything, because it's a magnificent hidden gem.

Personally I'd love to see a R-Type compilation. Give us everything from the first game to Final in one package please!
It was ported to the wii u, im guessing Nintendo owns the rights to the first game but not sure about the IP as a whole

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is probably the only realistic way we will get a retail release of the OG RE1/2/3 collection from the PS1 era. Make it so !

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Yes, it is a Nintendo IP.
Is it? Just curious because both developers and nintendo the publisher put money towards the game, also it was never intended to be exclusive to the wii it just ended up on the wii because a majority of programmers that worked on the game came from nintendo

nial

Gold Member
Is it? Just curious because both developers and nintendo the publisher put money towards the game, also it was never intended to be exclusive to the wii it just ended up on the wii because a majority of programmers that worked on the game came from nintendo

Top Bottom