• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle Shikigami 2 (PS2) hits the US PSN this week!

cj_iwakura

shikigami2a.jpg

http://hardcoregaming101.net/shikigami/shikigami2.htm

One of the best shmups of all time with one of the worst translations of all time.
How can you go wrong?

shikigami2ps2a.jpg

It's been on the EU-PSN for a while, but that version removed the voices completely, so why bother?

s2s5b2.jpg

Even if you don't care about the story, which has been poorly voice acted and translated to the point of making no sense whatsoever, Shiki 2 is a truly fantastic shmup. Each character has a totally unique playstyle, the music is fantastic, and the bosses are a blast.

And if you, do, well, behold the glory of some of the worst VA this industry has ever seen.

shikigami2-7.jpg

http://www.audioatrocities.com/games/castleshikigami2/

Every now and again there's a game that's dubbed so badly it's hard not to wonder how it ever got released in the first place. Castle Shikigami 2 is that game. This is the sequel to the game that was curiously renamed Mobile Light Force 2 when it was released here. Why the first game was "2" as well as why they chose to put girls on the cover of the first one that looked like Charlie's Angels while ripping out all the anime art is a mystery. Fortunately, Castle Shikigami's sequel doesn't try to hide it's anime roots and features some rockin' game design sure to please shooter fans.

Unfortunately the stellar game play is chopped up with an unintelligible storyline, sprinkled with sentence fragments strung together seemingly at random, and voiced by humans that appear to have no idea what they're doing. Seriously. The translation is so literal that scenes play out like they're from some bizarro haiku world.

The end result of the dubbing is not pleasant because it's literally difficult to even try to understand the meaning/intention of what's being said most of the time. However, there are enough howlers in here to make this one worth playing.

Exhibit A: “...I like girls, but now, it's about justice.”

The only danmaku shooter I'll play exclusively for the story.

Also, the different characters play differently so there is good gameplay and story reasons to play every character.

Recommended.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
This, Raiden III, Mamorukun, Ketsui, and Zanac X Zanac. Good to see the shmups finally appear on PSN. :)

cj_iwakura

The only danmaku shooter I'll play exlusively for the story.

Also, the different characters play differently so there is good gameplay and story reasons to play every character.

Recommended.

Yep, Shiki 2 has a pretty interesting story, if you can figure it out through the XS Games Bad Translation Filter(good luck).

Yes Boss!

Will be picking it up.

This is the one that is the best on the series, correct?

I struggled a bit with III, too much story. Looked kinda murky on Wii, too. You are able to cut-out (or fast-forward) the story in the PS2 version?

cj_iwakura

Will be picking it up.

This is the one that is the best on the series, correct?

I struggled a bit with III, too much story. You are able to cut-out (or fast-forward) the story in the PS2 version?

Best game in the series, some of the worst VA imaginable. It ranges from hilariously bad(Kohtaro) to just plain BAD(Fumiko).

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Honestly, my main gripe about Shiki 2 is that the characters play so differently that some have clear scoring potential advantages over others.

Kotaro VS Fumiko? Former clearly wins.

cj_iwakura

Honestly, my main gripe about Shiki 2 is that the characters play so differently that some have clear scoring potential advantages over others.

Kotaro VS Fumiko? Former clearly wins.

Fumiko's orbital lasers are a boss killer.

Yes Boss!

Picked up the game!

Btw, I forgot who said it (cj?) but the game is not sent to die as it is featured right up on the front page with a big splash-image in the Hot New Releases.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The voice acting in this game is amazing.

And the game itself is sweet.

Best version remains the DC version, but this is certainly cheaper.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I remember getting the 3rd one on Wii for cheap & having fun with it, despite the fact it STILL have an awful voice cast.

....but holy crap, just listened to some of the lines from the 2nd game and couldn't help but laugh at how hilariously bad they are. That combination of the tone, script, & delivery is simply amazing.

kick51

Banned
It's a good game, but that's definitely the first time I've seen called one of the best shmups of all time.

cj_iwakura

Picked up the game!

Btw, I forgot who said it (cj?) but the game is not sent to die as it is featured right up on the front page with a big splash-image in the Hot New Releases.

And just like XS Games' cover, you're left with no idea what the game is. I mean, awesome if a bunch of people buy it blindly, but they're in for a world of surprise if they expect a JRPG.

cj_iwakura

Whoa! That's pretty awesome. I played Shikigami III on Wii and it's aight.

I love Shiki III as well, I bought a Wii for that game. It's Shiki II's crazy plot with a translation that actually had time and effort put into it. It's a bit sillier overall(some character paths are little more than random insanity), but it has the occasional serious route.

Gameplay wise, Shiki II has better stages and bosses(Shiki 3 Stage 3 is NUTS), but it's still solid.

Iorv3th

"Your an idiot!"

"Don't worry it's a compliment i'm an idiot too"

or something along those lines...

I had a lot of fun playing this game years ago just for the dialogue.

Top Bottom