• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catalyst 4.6 drivers are out!

Mrbob

Get them here:

http://www.rage3d.com/

Supposed to be some small OPENGL improvements. Don't have my X800Pro yet so those who own one try them out! Supposed to be some nice boosts for the card! :D Works for virtually their entire line of cards obviously. :p

Unfortunately these new drivers don't fix the shadow bug in Thief 3 . Maybe next version :( .

Still the improvements are nice .

Dilbert

Does anyone know if the Enemy Territory problem is fixed yet? I'm running Catalyst 4.3, and I have the every-couple-of-seconds freeze problem with ET, rendering it unplayable. I miss that game a LOT, and would like to fix it...

B'z-chan

Banned
Still has a memory leak for the 9600xt's unfortunatly. Which totaly screws me over while playing FFXI it just restarts my computer all of the damn time. I talked with ATI about it and they know about the problem, but have found no way to fix it :sad

nataku

Wonder if they fixed that problem with Playonline being choppy and pixilated. Been a problem ever since 3.9s I think. Guess they want me to upgrade from this 8500.

shpankey

not an idiot
Hmmm... these drivers are locking my system up after playing a game for a few minutes. 4.5's were fine... dunno what happened. I did the Driver Cleaner in Safe Mode and then installed, just like always.

::goes back to 4.5 drivers::

:(

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
If it ain't broke...

As long as Far Cry runs the way it does for me. I can't recall the last time I re-installed my 9800 drivers.

shinjijai

I don't think they'll fix any bug that's found in the 8500 anymore. I've emailed the ATI driver support team numerous time informing them about the POL issue, but they never replied back with any solid info.

I was just gonna post a thread about this: Flaming to hell both Bioware and ATI. I'm late to the KOTOR party, but the performance is Christ awful shit! I'm in the Dattoine fields and I'm getting like .25 frames per second. I've lowered the resolution to 800*600, turned off grass, shadows, and nothing fucking helps. Radeon 9800 fairly well overclocked. 1 GB RAM. Barton 2500 with modest oc. Then I googled this and got this:

http://swforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=352372&forum=80

35 to 25 (10 frame difference) between 4.2 and some of the newer ones... with specific mention of the Dattoine fileds as unplayable. This is un-fucking-acceptable that I have to download old drivers to continue. I'd say fuck ATI, but considering how unimpressive this game looks and the performance that accompanies it, I'm ready to lay the majority of the blame on Bioware and unoptimized XBOX code. If the game weren't so awesome, I'd quit right now.

gofreak said:
I wonder if they can output video to my TV properly yet :/

Are you referring to the component dongle? Just got it last week, and under specific cercumstances (MAME), it's beyond amazing.

Well I just installed the 4.2s and KOTOR is an entirely different FUCKING game. 1024, everything on, and the DATTOINE fields are butter.

The problem is, 640*432 is no longer an unsupported mode with RAGE3D. So now I can't run MAME with the component dongle at 640*432 (and bypass the overscan due to ATI's weird ass 480i dongle resolution). What a pisser!

DaCocoBrova said:
If it ain't broke...

As long as Far Cry runs the way it does for me. I can't recall the last time I re-installed my 9800 drivers.

Word to that. Hell, I only upgraded my drivers when I first bought the card back in November. KOTOR, FarCry - everything has ran smoothly on my 9800np.

If it ain't broke...

That's how I feel.....I'm still running 4.1 or 4.2s with no major headaches. And I used like 3.6s for the longest time before that. I refuse to do this monthly update nonsense and then find out that games that used to work now have problems, pffft. If a game I really wanna play is f'd up, then I'll get whatever version is out, but otherwise, screw it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
ravingloon said:
Are you referring to the component dongle? Just got it last week, and under specific cercumstances (MAME), it's beyond amazing.

There's a component dongle? I'm just using the regular output from a regular 9700 Pro. It doesn't fill the screen properly, and parts of the image are missing (i.e. sides are trimmed and there are black bars i can't get rid of). I've tried tweaking it in the settings, to no avail. Overscan just makes me lose more of the image.

gofreak said:
There's a component dongle? I'm just using the regular output from a regular 9700 Pro. It doesn't fill the screen properly, and parts of the image are missing (i.e. sides are trimmed and there are black bars i can't get rid of). I've tried tweaking it in the settings, to no avail. Overscan just makes me lose more of the image.

Yeah. It goes in the DVI-I slot. But there are definite overscan problems associated with this if you're running 480i. That said, I can run certain emulators like ZSNES at 640*480 and, if screen is getting cut off, it's not enough that I'm missing it. MAME running at 640*432 is glorious. The desktop running at 640*432 also fills the television properly. It's just a finicky device that seems to work at it's best when running Catalysts 4.6 and Rage3D (A MUST for this device). Really only suited for emulators and watching certain videos. It's pretty awesome to watch IGNs 640*480 movies on this set. (It requires certain positioning to get the movie framed properly on the set, but you really see things you miss otherwise.)

Top Bottom