• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities like San Francisco are expensive, but can you live there comfortably making $62k/yr?

Mossybrew

If you are even considering living in a place like San Francisco you need to reevaluate your life choices, and who you are as a person.

GeekyDad

...Also if that room is in the city for $1200/month, there is little chance its not disgusting/in a bad area/something wrong with it.
Wow...
tenor.gif

I guess sometimes it pays to be poor. We bought our home brand new about nine years ago. I think our mortgage payment each month is a little under $700, plus another $100 for insurance each month (plus utilities, of course). It's a modest home, sure -- three bedrooms, two full bathrooms, garage, about half-square-acre front yard, two-square-acre backyard, fenced in with (at the time) new wooden fence, garage-sized shed for our mower and tools. We live in a suburban town in Georgia, but it's homey enough. (And the property has an estimated appreciation of about $50k since we first purchased it).

Can't imagine paying twice that for what you describe as "disgusting/in a bad area/something wrong with it."

oagboghi2

Wow...
tenor.gif

I guess sometimes it pays to be poor. We bought our home brand new about nine years ago. I think our mortgage payment each month is a little under $700, plus another $100 for insurance each month (plus utilities, of course). It's a modest home, sure -- three bedrooms, two full bathrooms, garage, about half-square-acre front yard, two-square-acre backyard, fenced in with (at the time) new wooden fence, garage-sized shed for our mower and tools. We live in a suburban town in Georgia, but it's homey enough. (And the property has an estimated appreciation of about $50k since we first purchased it).

Can't imagine paying twice that for what you describe as "disgusting/in a bad area/something wrong with it."
700 a month will get you a room in a bad part of town.

xrnzaaas

In my opinion there's absolutely no reason to move to cities with high costs of living, especially now when many employers have been forced to accept working remotely as something normal. You can work from somewhere where the costs are much lower and still make ocassional visits if your work requires you to. I bet it will still allow you to keep more of your paycheck to yourself rather than spending it on the obligatory expenses.

oagboghi2

In my opinion there's absolutely no reason to move to cities with high costs of living, especially now when many employers have been forced to accept working remotely as something normal. You can work from somewhere where the costs are much lower and still make ocassional visits if your work requires you to. I bet it will still allow you to keep more of your paycheck to yourself rather than spending it on the obligatory expenses.

This x1000

I work remotely out of Jacksonville Florida while my company is in Miami. That’s a $600 savings in rent alone.

One of the very few, few good things about covid is that it essentially forced many buisness to at least acknowledge remote work. Before it was seen as a luxury for management and seniors staff.

Though, based off of the recent recruiter emails I have gotten it seems companies are starting to reconsider offering it.

Last edited:

greencoder

Look dude, I don’t want to kill your SF dreams, but being broke in SF is a shit feeling. You’ll feel subhuman there rubbing elbows with people who will make 3 times as much as you and still feel broke.
I think being broke anywhere in the US is a shit feeling. I think being middle-class (or even upper-middle-class in some cities) in the US is unpleasant too. I'm not an American but I've read that Seattle and Boston have comparable salaries and lower COL. And Seattle has no state tax.

Last edited:
700 a month will get you a room in a bad part of town.

The "WY Trading Inc" sign on the place looks like something straight outta Shenmue 1 lol.

Hunters Point is a pretty rough area, even then I'm surprised at the price of this spot, there has to be a catch (other than living in a shitty area). The upside would be if you like salami the molinari salami factory is right down the street

Top Bottom