• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clarifications on the Nintendo Wii and DS Wi-Fi shutdown (DLC still active?)

I've been asking a Nintendo of America employee who's titled "Developer Support" on twitter to clarify on the shutdown of Wi-Fi for Wii and DS, here's what was said (answers bolded):

https://twitter.com/Sempuukyaku/status/448155997886889984

@Sempuukyaku When Wi-Fi goes down for Wii and DS, will DLC on the shops still be active? What about Wi-Fi from 3rd-party servers?

@GoldMetalSonic DLC isn't affected, so you can still download updates if they're available. But all matchmaking will no longer be available.

@Sempuukyaku So you only can't play online multiplayer matches. Don't some games (I heard about this for DS) don't have DLC in the shop.

@Sempuukyaku ...but rather in-game? That's unaffected? Also what about DS to Wii connectivity? Does that just use local wireless? ...

@Sempuukyaku ... I heard it used Wi-Fi for some reason. Like My Pokemon Ranch. But online is going down for that game. What was it used for?

@GoldMetalSonic That DLC still wouldn't be affected. My Pokemon Ranch uses local connection with the Nintendo DS. So, no issue there.

@Sempuukyaku What about online games not on NWC like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3?

@GoldMetalSonic ALL Wii and DS games that have matchmaking and online multiplayer will no longer be active.

@Sempuukyaku Ah, gotcha, thanks. :)

People seem to still be confused if it's just the Pay-to-Play DLC that will live on and that the free DLC is getting the axe. I understand it as ALL DLC is being left untouched (naturally publishers like Activision with the Guitar Hero and such DLC choose for themselves). And I also understand it as even online in games that don't specifically use "Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection" like Modern Warfare 3 are getting the axe as well.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Looking back - still cant believe that Friendcodes for every single game were a thing on DS/Wii. So crazy Nintendo xD

Roto13

It'd be nice if the Pokemon GTS stayed up, but that probably counts as multiplayer.

I wonder if those sketchy hacked pokemon GTS servers will still work. No idea how those function.

I wonder for how longer they'll keep the Wii Shop.

My feeling is that what they'll do is unify the shops; integrate the Wii shop into the Wii U eShop as they did with the DSi Shop on the 3DS eShop (why they did not do this in the first place, I will never know).

That or if they axe Wii and DSi BC in the future, then they might consider axing them. No point in keeping them up if the games won't be playable next gen. Not unless they "emulate" them as part of VC?

Tayaya

But the current version of the Wii sold in stores, the Wii mini, doesn't even have Internet connectivity. So..... milking Virtual Console sales may not be on Nintendo's agenda for all that long. Or they may just want customers to migrate to Wii U and 3DS for that purpose.

Metallix87

But the current version of the Wii sold in stores, the Wii mini, doesn't even have Internet connectivity. So..... milking Virtual Console sales may not be on Nintendo's agenda for all that long. Or they may just want customers to migrate to Wii U and 3DS for that purpose.

Then they'll have to start expanding their VC libraries on those platforms.

Major B.S.

Neo Member
*Leaps out of desk for Nintendo 3DS with Tetris DS inside sitting on an adjoining table.*

*Falls and faceplants into the cosmos.*

Lkr

Wow isn't Mario kart wii still popular? Surprised everything is getting the axe. Aren't there custom DNS servers out there too?

Joqu

Wait I'm still confused. How would in-game DLC be unaffected? Does the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection use separate servers for matchmaking?

Top Bottom