• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Come and join me in my misery: Rumours about Banjo-Threeie / other Banjo appearance at E3

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Why you should not join the Banjo hype train
It is this time of the year again. Let me explain the algorithm that plays whenever E3 is approaching:
1. Some tidbits loosely related to Banjo come up
2. I swear I will prevent myself from building up any kind of expectation, because experience shows that Microsoft will certainly not supply us platformer fans with a new Banjo game
3. More and more hints from various sources amass
4. I do build up expectations subconsciously
5. Microsoft's E3 PK happens
6. No Banjo to be seen
7. I lie in anguish and swear to never get my hopes up again!

So, since we have reached point (4), now, I thought it is unfair if I suffer in isolation, so I want to share my feelings with all my fellow NeoGAF platformer fans.

Why you should join the Banjo hype train
The following hints, pieces of evidence and little tidbits have been pointing towards Banjo over the last few weeks:
1. Banjo has had a ton of merchandise lately, namely
- a 4 Figures statue
banjo-web-horizontal-reg-01_1-816x598.jpg

- a Totaku figure:
525837-banjo%20conker%20totaku.jpg

- a Stubbins plushie:
Banjo-Kazooie-Stubbins-Plush.jpeg

2. The makers of the 4 Figures figure were invited to E3 by Rare
3. On top of the aforementioned merchandise, there will also be a controller holder for Banjo-Kazooie:

4. Said controller holder teaser was accompanied by the following discussion:

5. Steve Mayles, character designer for Banjo-Kazooie, currently at Platonic Games, but also the brother of Gregg Mayles, one of the top personnel of Rare, tweeted about Banjo returning at E3:

6. To add to this: The new project by Playtonic is taking Yooka-Laylee into the second dimension, making it more like a Yooka Kong Country than Yooka-Tooie, which would make sense if Mayles knew that they would run into a wall with another Banjo-clone Yooka right now
7. The brand extension agency Tinderbox is promoting its E3 booth with Banjo-Kazooie listed among the clients. Note that all other gaming franchises listed are ones with recent of upcomming games:

8. A slightly new design was used for Banjo's backpack, both, for the Totaku figure and the controller holder
9. Shinobi of Resetera (and previously NeoGAF) fame has hinted at a Banjo appearance in Smash Bros:
1559668168205.jpg

Join me in the joyful misery. Only two days left to produce a sufficient amount of tears!

Last edited:

Codes 208

I dont even care if it’d be just a remake of banjo kazooie and tooie ala spyro and crash trilogies, i just need a new banjo game!

Stuart360

I wouldnt hold your breath, Rare has already said they are not doing any games from their back catalogue. So Banjo isnt coming, unless they have outsourced it.

ROMhack

I don't like Banjo Kazooie.

When I was a kid I played through Treasure Trove Cove and there was this giant fucking crab that scared the shit out of me. I now have a hysterical fear of crabs and attribute it to that moment.

Last edited:

Aintitcool

Banned
Microsoft must have seen the money and good PR the crash trilogy gave sony and activision. A remake/reimagining seems likelier to me than ever before.

Pallas

Really hope we see something from Banjo series. From what I understood, Rare won’t be doing anything with their old IP’s from their glory days but will supervise it. It’ll be interesting to see what developer studio actually does the work if this becomes a reality.

Rare was hard at work for the past year trying to fix Sea of Thieves, so I find it hard to believe they'll have anything of substance regarding Banjo at this E3. Maybe a logo announcement, at most. And as Metroid Prime 4 recently proved, you should probably keep your excitement in check when it comes to mere logo announcements.

ExpandKong

Banned
Didn’t something come to light a while back (years even) about how a potential BK remake was planned, but it was something like the characters would start to realize they were in a remake and things would start to change and the game would have some differences from the original?

That’d be a neat way to revisit an old game.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Didn’t something come to light a while back (years even) about how a potential BK remake was planned, but it was something like the characters would start to realize they were in a remake and things would start to change and the game would have some differences from the original?

That’d be a neat way to revisit an old game.
This was one of the intermediate plans between Banjo-Threeie and Nuts & Bolts, called Banjo X.

Fox Mulder

Even if there's no game, the characters would be great to license for merchandise.

I'd still love for MS to do a Switch release. Banjo Kazooie or Rare Replay on the Switch could be huge even if they have no plans for it on the Xbox.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Do any of the people that worked on these games still even work at Rare?

Main designer is still there, but doesn't matter anyway Rare wont touch this again. I see no reason it can't be outsourced to Playful like Crash & Spyro, they could be practicing with a full remaster before a sequel.

Pallas

Rare was hard at work for the past year trying to fix Sea of Thieves, so I find it hard to believe they'll have anything of substance regarding Banjo at this E3. Maybe a logo announcement, at most. And as Metroid Prime 4 recently proved, you should probably keep your excitement in check when it comes to mere logo announcements.

Rare wouldn’t be developing it even if they are free. They’re tasked with working on new IP’s. AFAIK they would only have a supervision/guiding role in any development of their old IP’scwhike another studio does the actual work.

Prediction: Bluepoint Games bought by MS, rebranded as R-imagine Studios. Focused on bringing old Rare IPs to modern audiences. BK remake/boot revealed and releasing next Spring.

Perfect Dark reboot teased for nextgen.

Reality: Monkey paw BK announcement. Project Spark rebooted with terrible BK mascot.

Unreality: Nothing happens.

Top Bottom