• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Come Anime lovers, post your favorite anime game graphics! (Images heavy thread)

Kataploom

Gold Member
So, I've been arguing with some anime haters in other threads about how they hate everything looking like anime and how "devs should ditch it" (lol), every other thread with anime art style will get infested by those comments so what if we have a thread to show some of our beloved anime graphics.

I'll start with this SMT: Devil Survivor... There's something in the first game (the one I played) that I just love! The character design is on spot with the game theme and tone and, they're very expressive and somehow this artist style seem to never get old to me:

Devil-Survivor-Overclocked.jpeg

1234195200_723092_1532953309_sumario_normal.jpg

I'm not counting the demons design because they're from previous entries but we all know it's superb!

Also Xenoblade DE and 3 characters design is the best IMO, it just tick everything from my tastes, hope they stay with it for other games:

Xenoblade-Chronicles-3.-Cropped.png1_.jpg

xenoblade-chronicles-definitive-edition-screen-27-avril-2020-6-1536x864.jpg

Kataploom

Gold Member
Code Vein

My character :
FMf4rkK.jpg
Hey, I'm in spite with that game, I just finished Dark Souls and wanted something similar but with less obscure art style, so I remembered it being on Game Pass and hyped as I got, went to check and it was gone from the service. Thinking on buying it whenever on Steam whenever I get a chance (money).

It looks pretty btw, it seems some hate the semi-realistic environment with anime characters but in some cases (like this one) it fits perfectly!

Kataploom

Gold Member
13sentinels-mecha.gif

Also really like what Monolith Soft is doing with new way rendering characters in Xenoblade 3
bc07a5jbnfb91.jpg

They are nicely matching their hand drawn work.
295846086_5617816231582198_7128818686622464286_n.jpg
I think it has mostly to do with character art style tbh. I like it way more than 2 art style anyway

Tams

Gold Member
Valkyria Chronicles for sure. And Skyward Sword looked great too.

My problem with Xenoblade is that the anime look is a bit too much of the 3D/CGI type. I think it's really hard to pull that off. In fact, I don't think I've found any game or anime to really have managed to. Perhaps Shingeki no Kyojin? Sort of?

Fbh

In game:

Ni No Kuni still looks amazing IMO
foliiv.gif

And yeah Monolith are great, I think I've said it all the way back in the OT but I think Xenoblade 2 has some of the best anime style cutscenes. There's just something about the animation, expressiveness of the characters and flow of the scenes (no awkward pauses or weird stutters when the camera angle changes) that makes you feel like you are watching some an anime episode:

GrimyGloomyDuckbillplatypus-max-1mb.gif

xenoblade-chronicles2nia-hiss-grrr-xenoblade.gif

Not a fan of some of the character designs though.

If we are just talking art style I really liked SMTIV
1369174440_174440_000001_album_normal.jpg

But in game it didn't look particularly great due to the weak 3DS hardware and low-ish budget.

The older Atlus style in general is great. The Old Soul Hackers looked miles better than the new one
soulhackers_041513_1600.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

Kataploom

Gold Member
Valkyria Chronicles for sure. And Skyward Sword looked great too.

My problem with Xenoblade is that the anime look is a bit too much of the 3D/CGI type. I think it's really hard to pull that off. In fact, I don't think I've found any game or anime to really have managed to. Perhaps Shingeki no Kyojin? Sort of?
How so? Do you mean it looks way "too much 3D" instead of more of a natural 2D drawing?

In game:

Ni No Kuni still looks amazing IMO
foliiv.gif
Damn Ni no Kuni, I forgot about it, still wanting to play it... I that game any good? Or just visually pleasant?

Fbh

Damn Ni no Kuni, I forgot about it, still wanting to play it... I that game any good? Or just visually pleasant?

The visuals and music are definitely the main appeal.
The story is fun and has charming characters though it's nothing particularly memorable, and the gameplay (the combat in particular) is just ok.

As a whole package though I still think it's worth playing through. The rest of the franchise isn't too great though, the sequel was a big disappointment to me and there's a truly terrible Netflix movie too.

Last edited:

lachesis

My early one was on MSX
Ys2 Opening. Lilia turning... and that's probably I'm still more of Lilia fan just because of this very scene just shocked me in 80s. ;)

uTuMMXu.gif

And this some random character from an adventure game called "Zarth" by Enix.
I remember playing this game loading cassette tape...

Turns out, this lady has nothing to do with main story or anything. But the box art prominently showed off this pic, and I was wowed by the fidelity.

o0TWUKr.jpg

Kataploom

Gold Member
My early one was on MSX
Ys2 Opening. Lilia turning... and that's probably I'm still more of Lilia fan just because of this very scene just shocked me in 80s. ;)

uTuMMXu.gif

Turns out, this lady has nothing to do with main story or anything. But the box art prominently showed off this pic, and I was wowed by the fidelity.

o0TWUKr.jpg
Damn, I love retro anime, I've been thinking that if I decided to release an actual game (I do personal stuff on Unity) I'd go for that style definitely

Fbh

@Heumdall_Xtreme Where are you with GR images?! I'll do my part!!!

GRAVITY-RUSH%E2%84%A22-DEMO_20170107111950.jpg

27710708743_5543577b1d_o.jpg

Damn, I forgot about GR

The world of Gravity Rush 2 in particular easily has some of my favorite Art Direction in gaming
07557580-ef55-4192-a256-239afcb36aae_rw_1920.png

840_560.jpg

Love the floating cities, how busy and alive they feel. There's like a mix of asian, arabic and latin american cultures and architecture going on which feels so distinct, alive and memorable

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
My early one was on MSX

uTuMMXu.gif

o0TWUKr.jpg

Really do love the PC-98 art style.

For me I'm suprised no ones posted it yet although they have posted some of their prior works.

GIF1.gif

They really are the cream when it comes to nailing that 3d anime look especially in motion.

Dungeon Fighters the Duel just looks great in motion.

Granblue versus by them looked great to

GBVS-Store-GranSuper.gif

Last edited:

Mabdia

Damn, I forgot about GS

The world of Gravity Rush 2 in particular easily has some of my favorite Art Direction in gaming
07557580-ef55-4192-a256-239afcb36aae_rw_1920.png

840_560.jpg

Love the floating cities, how busy and alive they feel. There's like a mix of asian, arabic and latin american cultures and architecture going on which feels so distinct, alive and memorable
Amazing game. Really love the world that they build here.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
uFmUJIo.png
zTJHVOg.jpg

Some of the best visuals ever found in a video game ever. Gacha Life is high art and should be preserved as one of the best videogames and works of art of all time.

Top Bottom