• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CompUSA iPod service plan question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilbert

I purchased an extended warranty/replacement plan for my 3G iPod last year, and among the things which are covered are battery replacement when it starts to not hold its charge. However, I have heard that CompUSA's typical policy is just to replace the entire unit when something goes wrong, rather than do maintenance. So, a couple of questions:

1) Is that actually true, or do they typically ship units to Apple for repair?

2) If they do replace models, does that mean that I'd get a 4G model to replace my 3G?

3) Would I also have the option of applying the $250 replacement value towards the purchase of a new 40GB 4G model?

Given my druthers, I'd prefer option #3 -- 20 GB isn't enough space, and the 4G models have improved battery performance from the 3G models. However, I also don't want to defraud CompUSA in the process.

Thanks for anyone with info...

.hacked

I used to work at CUSA,

Did you get the store replacement or the Applecare?

If you got the store replacement they will just give you the credit towards any new one (you will have to pay the difference). They don't fix them and rest assured there are no 3G left to replace it with.

Just make sure you tell them it is the battery and not the screen, the policy does not cover the screen.

If you got the Applecare kiss your money goodbye, Apple might replace the unit but I doubt it.

Dilbert

.hacked said:
Did you get the store replacement or the Applecare?
Yup, it's the store replacement policy. I had heard it was better than Applecare, which is why I went with the CompUSA version.

So do you think I would be able to turn in my 3G iPod and apply the $250 towards a new 4G 40 GB iPod? If so, would I be able to purchase a new CompUSA replacement policy on the new 4G?

.hacked

-jinx- said:
So do you think I would be able to turn in my 3G iPod and apply the $250 towards a new 4G 40 GB iPod? If so, would I be able to purchase a new CompUSA replacement policy on the new 4G?

You should, the store I worked at did it all the time. You will have to buy the replacement policy on the new one, it is only a one time deal.

Now I don't know if the policy has change since I stop working there, about a 1.5 months ago, but like I said we did it all the time.

Macam

Banned
I've never worked for CompUSA and I rarely shop there, but the store service plan sounds very much like Best Buy's, where I did work at for a year, and if I had to guess, I'd say Option #3 is very likely and fine by store standards. There certainly won't be 3Gs around and even if they do send it to Apple to have it repaired, it's likely they'd give you the store credit for the amount of the iPod and if they ever got your original iPod back and repaired, they'd probably sell it as a refurbished product if anything.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Having used the CompUSA service plan on a few occasions my experience is this:

You get a full store credit refund for the amount you paid for the item when you bought it. If your replacement item costs less than it did, you get to spend the difference on other stuff. Furthermore, all you need is the item in question and its receipt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom