• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Contra: Rogue Corps Producer Says Series Can Return to 2D, But Needs to Innovate.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Konami recently flew DualShockers out to Contra: Rogue Corps‘ launch event and during that we interviewed Nobuya Nakazato, the game’s Executive Producer. You may know him for his work as Director on Contra III: The Alien Wars and Rocket Knight Adventures. As he has worked on both 2D and 3D Contra games now, Nakazato-san says he would not mind returning to the series’ 2D roots, though Konami would need to innovate with that game and not just make it a graphical overhaul of the originals with new content.

“Yeah, I love the old 2D games as well and I’d love to make new ones, but just modernizing the graphics, upgrading the graphics, and creating something new in them would not be the right way to do it, in my opinion,” Nakazato-san began. “I’d have to come up with a new innovation and maybe change a bit of the genre and then I can start working on one of those.” While it doesn’t seem like a new 2D Contra is in the works just yet, it’s good to know that Konami, or at least Contra: Rogue Corps‘ Executive Producer, isn’t completely averse to the idea.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Ch... Change a bit of the genre -- is this motherfucker high?

If you wanna go wild, just do another off-shoot like Hard Corps: Uprising. Or just a good game. period. That'd be wild, too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Uh okay why didn't you do that in the first place?

Thabass

Maybe make a new one that retains the fruits of the original with a new hook. You don't need to innovate the game to make it good.

KOMANI

KOMANI
They need to stop outsourcing their IPs to small developers like Toylogic, and either make games in-house (since there are still a lot of good developers still there) or publish games from bigger development teams (platinum games). What’s the point of making a shit load of money from your mobile division, if you’re not willing to invest any money towards your gaming division?

Mr. Nakazato should try to make the type of game he wants, while Konami should have someone who wants to make a Contra game make a new Contra game.

That said, looking at Rogue Corps, I wouldn't be surprised if Nakazato's real job on the title was to inject some Contra elements into what was otherwise being built as a generic quasi-twin-stick shooter.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Sadly now Konami's plan is to give us games with a very low and cheap budget, if at least they made their projects with more quality it would not be bad, but then it seems that he does them lazily and less economically as possible,

I say they can return to style 2D, but damn that they are games with a lot of detail or at least with quality similar to Super Contra III.

in other words more quality in your games please and no more Yu-Gi-Oh or PES games

I think the series could innovate while still staying true to its roots. They're not mutually exclusive traits.

From what I played from the demo, it looks like they failed on both ends.

Naked Lunch

What a fucking joke. Contra III came out in 1992 and runs circles around most other 2d side scrollers. As a kid in 92 I imagined what could be next, little did I know 30 years later that was the best we'de get.

A new Contra needs to be fully 2d, with a shit ton of levels with bosses all over the place - with branching paths on top of branching paths to extend replay value. Sure fire hit. Easy as pie - why is this so hard to realize? The worst levels of all the Contra games are the top down or running forward - basically anything not 2d side scrolling - and they make an entire game in 2019 top down. Genius. No one wants that.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Bad graphics? Everyone saw that coming
Bad sound? Same
Zero for level design? You betcha
A twist? Yeah, a cooldown on a fucking run and gun game

This was a sabotage work. I can't believe that this game has any form of passion

#fuckKonami

brap

Banned
Why innovate? The last decent game came out in 2011. The last decent game with Contra in the name came out in 2009. It's been long enough for a new one. People like Mega Man 9-11. Just make it like that.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
And for the christ sake. Give a decent buget Konami. 😠. Not launch game like a trash. I know that they want earn money. But this is dumb launch a mediocre game and win money for that.

None of the points he stated applies to the game he just made. It's garbage (from the demo I played) and him saying all of that doesn't make any sense in the context of his own work.

Tigerlord

In my opinion, they should have taken some inspiration from Blazing Chrome. That was more Contra-like than this effort.
They should have taken the best of Contra 3, Hard Corps, added a few new ideas, and kept it 2D. It would be a much better game.

FMXVII

The best Contra games - the truly great ones - are still the 100% Run 'n Gun ones.

Re: Contra & Super C, on the NES.

I'd pay $60 for a dual pack with a graphics update. Because the gameplay was perfect.

Top Bottom