• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
China such sore losers decided not to report anymore cases aftet losing title

YWjbxDg.png

1Nx7HxW.png

cryptoadam

Banned
Well I have to say listening to Pence, Fauci, and Brix's has sold me on the USA's approach, I believe they are going to beat this thing. And if they end it I will bang Dr. Brixs like shes a 20 year old Asian with big boobs.

And whats an ELISA (or ELIZA) test that Brix's was talking about? You can get those now to tell you if you had the antibody? I hope the point of care tests become wide spread because that can also be a game changer.

Listening to those 3 it sounds like to me that the USA actually has a plan to attack this, unlike Italy/Spain which was kinda like we don't care, don't be racist, OH SHIT WERE FUCKED. Seems like they are making those medical supplies available, trying to keep ventilators stocked. Brix's came right out and said its BS that NYC won't have beds or venitlators based on the realities today. Sounds like they are trying to actually investigate where the virus is and contain it and have safe zones and hot zones.

Fauci also seemed pretty confident in fast tracking a vaccine, and making sure that we have something if there is a rebound/cycle. He also seemed confident in theraputics coming out.

I am going to say the vast majority of people don't watch these Press conferences and go off twitter and the media's reactions. You might not like Trump, maybe you don't like that he is pushing to open up or was being too positive. But listening to Brixs and Fauci has to give people confidence that smart people are actually tackling this problem.

This PC gave me a lot of confidence in the team in the US working on this. You guys have a tough few weeks ahead but I think you can pull through.

JordanN

Banned
Can any Canadian confirm this chart?

If you're employed, as long as you earned $5000, you're eligible for the $2000 monthly payment? As in, you don't have to quit your job to still get the money from the Canada Emergency Response Benefit?

1wuyCpW.jpg

Last edited:
This PC gave me a lot of confidence in the team in the US working on this. You guys have a tough few weeks ahead but I think you can pull through.

As freaked out as everyone is, this is not an extinction level event even if we totally botch the response this is something that we should remind ourselves of this occasionally.

I just hope they are right about the approach. Our infected numbers have surged as they were expected to, now I guess we wait and see if the fatalities start shooting up to match them.

cryptoadam

Banned
As freaked out as everyone is, this is not an extinction level event even if we totally botch the response this is something that we should remind ourselves of this occasionally.

I just hope they are right about the approach. Our infected numbers have surged as they were expected to, now I guess we wait and see if the fatalities start shooting up to match them.

One of the big problems with the US is it could get all the states in line, but if NYC or CALI is still on fire thats like their own country.

I mean NY state is pretty much its own country as far as how its going, its like Spain/France levels on its own (without that many deaths).

So even if you eliminate Corona everywhere else you would still have this rocket ship of cases coming from there.

I think what your going to see is more of a phased approach with area's being cleaned up, while the bigger hot spots might take a little longer.

oatmeal

Banned
When this is all over, the only thing I want to know is why was it slow to roll out testing?

1. Trump says "Meh" and doesn't pull the trigger on testing. This seems like it's not something that is in his wheel house, why would he make this call?

2. The tests were bad. We kind of have confirmation on this, but how was Canada so proficient in early testing?

We apparently have testing rolling now and are testing at a high level, but in the USA - what was the hold up?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
At this rate Poland is making barely any tests and gov is hiding numbers. Meanwhile you can't go to any doctor with anything... I'm sure more people will die of other issues since it's so hard to get a doctor.
It's not like everyone is not sick with other issues just because Corona.
Even my boss is sick and he is 60.., hope it's not 19 and hope he is ok

When this is all over, the only thing I want to know is why was it slow to roll out testing?

1. Trump says "Meh" and doesn't pull the trigger on testing. This seems like it's not something that is in his wheel house, why would he make this call?

2. The tests were bad. We kind of have confirmation on this, but how was Canada so proficient in early testing?

We apparently have testing rolling now and are testing at a high level, but in the USA - what was the hold up?

I recall Fauci talking about how the tests they had originally were not designed for mass testing or... something. I wish I could recall. Maybe they required you to have too much of the virus in your system to test early? It was in one of the briefings and it made sense when he said it, but fuck me I can't remember. They basically had to start from scratch to develop a new test that would work in the numbers they were now expecting.

I think there was some optimism that it would just fizzle out or be no big deal, but that was kind of the prevailing thought everywhere for a while.

Karma Jawa

While that was a nice sentiment, and NHS workers are the heroes that we need right now, I couldn't help but notice the amount of people out in the streets rubbing shoulders during the applause. Not keeping any kind of distance away from each other... Which maybe wasn't very smart.

But it was a nice idea to show NHS workers that we respect them and are grateful.

Completely agree. I just showed my appreciation from my window. Maybe organising the nation’s biggest ever street party isn’t the best way to applaud the NHS, but I think it was a phenomenal gesture and they deserve every bit of praise they get. For personal reasons they’ve been at the top of my list of heroes for a while.

I’d offer to help but my cough has now reached day 14.

I think what your going to see is more of a phased approach with area's being cleaned up, while the bigger hot spots might take a little longer.

Yeah I think this is the only possible way to handle this. Although it sounds like Chicago is ramping up in cases as well judging from the press conference. It doesnt make much sense to lockdown the flyover states if they have 1 or two cases but the big cities and population hubs will be dealing with this for some time I think.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I wish I could help some people right now. I feel like it especially with people here but I'm so broke I'm struggling myself. I have a few games I could just give away though, some of them still unopened and factory sealed.

I just want to do a little good. I'm not going through a good time and found out my best friend isn't either.

Womp, womp

China’s reduction in cases of COVID-19 has been applauded the world over, as proof that there is light at the end of the lockdown tunnel.

However, new research has shown that there could be a second wave of infections looming.

As many as 14 per cent of recovered coronavirus patients in China have tested positive again, according to medical experts.

Research showed that between three to 14 per cent of patients were diagnosed with the coronavirus, after already being given the all-clear.

At one hospital in Wuhan, doctors found that five of the 147 patients in a study tested positive again after recovery, Wang Wei, director of the city’s Tongji Hospital, told the state broadcaster CCTV yesterday.

They don't seem to be bothering to add these to their counts...

oatmeal

Banned
I recall Fauci talking about how the tests they had originally were not designed for mass testing or... something. I wish I could recall. Maybe they required you to have too much of the virus in your system to test early? It was in one of the briefings and it made sense when he said it, but fuck me I can't remember. They basically had to start from scratch to develop a new test that would work in the numbers they were now expecting.

I think there was some optimism that it would just fizzle out or be no big deal, but that was kind of the prevailing thought everywhere for a while.
Yeah, but it's weird that Canada and SK were just like "BOOP CORONA TEST, HERE YA GO".

The USA got caught empty handed here, and I'm curious why. Is it a lack of manufacturing ability because everything is moved to China?

rykomatsu

I wish I could help some people right now. I feel like it especially with people here but I'm so broke I'm struggling myself. I have a few games I could just give away though, some of them still unopened and factory sealed.

I just want to do a little good. I'm not going through a good time and found out my best friend isn't either.

Know that you're doing good just by staying home and away from others. You'd be surprised how many people are entitled fucks that risk transmission of disease in this day and age.

Darkmakaimura

Spoke with another friend.

He works at a plant shop and his wife works at Zia Records.

Both are obviously non essential businesses but he told me they're both working.

I guess on how you look at it, it's good that they're working and having an income or they're wage slaves selling pots and plants and music/movies/games while risking exposure.

Edit: this is here in Vegas where non essential businesses are supposed to be closed.

Last edited:
Number of patients on ventilators "more than doubled" in past three days, NYC doctor says
From CNN's Sonia Moghe

Dr. Craig Smith, chair of the department of surgery at Columbia University Irving Medical Center in New York City, said the number of patients on ventilators at his hospital “more than doubled” in the past three days.
“We have not exhausted our existing supply of ventilators but if we keep doubling every three days, we might,” Smith wrote.
Smith said the increase is placing pressure on ICU capacity, and that operating rooms have been converted to ICUs, and an entire 36-bed floor has been renovated to be converted to ICU space.

Smith said a call went out yesterday for doctors to volunteer to staff ICUs and within a few hours, 20 surgeons volunteered.

It seems they "found" a "vendor" who "had" 39 million masks on-hand and now the SEIU is helping to find that "vendor" buyers.. so they're not donating them or anything, and it seems the SIEU is just acting as a middleman here..

What vendor was sitting on 39 million masks while everyone was saying they were desperately needed?
This is some Mob-level convenience...

Last edited:

Liljagare

People who are embroiled in a crisis are often the worst perspectives to consider on a grand scale, actually. The military understands this concept very well which is why they drill obedience into soldiers' heads yet encourage forward-thinking and creativity the further up the chain of command you go.

I'm not saying we should ignore their caution, but unless they have new statistics showing it will head in that direction I'm going to base my opinion on the statistics we have.

Just curious, what statistics are you looking at that state that NY isn't going into a bad situation in their hospitals, considering they themselves state they need 200% more respiratores, 100 % more ECMO's, and are running out of protective gear?

Just curious about your source here. :eek:

Karma Jawa

Womp, womp

They don't seem to be bothering to add these to their counts...

Seems more likely that people were declared fit before they had recovered. I can imagine there’s a huge amount of pressure to get patients in, stabilise them to some extent, and kick them out of the door.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
One of the big problems with the US is it could get all the states in line, but if NYC or CALI is still on fire thats like their own country.

I mean NY state is pretty much its own country as far as how its going, its like Spain/France levels on its own (without that many deaths).

So even if you eliminate Corona everywhere else you would still have this rocket ship of cases coming from there.

What we're going to see is some states that have done insufficient testing being told to get back to work because they have everything under control.
Then a few weeks later, they'll realize that it wasn't under control earlier, and it certainly isn't under control now.
Excuses will be made, people will die, and we'll do it all over again.

That is unless the federal government has been hoarding test kits to distribute in this situation.
That still won't work, but it might limit death slightly, and also divide the country even further.

They want us to believe that they're going to break down the level of infection by county, when many of these counties haven't even done 100 tests? It's fucking crazy.

I'm starting to feel like the only way we get any good news is if they find a helpful treatment sooner than expected. I have confidence in the people who are working towards this treatment, specifically some US and Israeli groups. Hopefully they come through, and I'll be happy to give Trump all the credit (just don't get too many of us killed while we wait).

Last edited:
I predict China will report 40K more mild cases that were placed on the shelf and forgotten about for just the moment they were overtaken by the US they will all be people who travelled back from Italy, Spain, France, and the US.

Liljagare

Sweden takes the lead at being complete morons.

Background, Sweden recently built a new ultra modern hospital, one of the most expensive in the world. But, in the end, it cost so much, we can't afford to staff it, and a large part of the staff will be cut.

Meanwhile, the Corona incident has come our way, the staff in the hospital are performing miracles, but, it seems, they are still going to be let go in a savings effort.....

Seriously, wtf, I am totally embarrased, first, you ask the poor sods to please stay at the front line, to help, but then, you are going to turn around to fire them?!

Whuut.. I am emigrating again.. :\

(only source is sadly in swedish, but google translate works well, https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/...risen--storvarslet-vid-karolinska-ligger-kvar)

Jonsoncao

Banned
Back in Feb and early Mar, experts warned us two things:

(1) The outbreak in US is just a matter of time.
(2) US, CDC, HHS are not prepared for this.

They also proposed on how to get us more prepared.

Given the timeframe, even if the administration had taken any active measure in US, it would not be very useful.

US is not prepared, who to blame?

Reference:

*whistles*

There are more confirmed cases in NY than Iran & France.

1.2% CFR so far in NY which is pretty good, considering.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Quick question.... People currently working will also get the 1200 bux so long as they don't make over a certain amount, correct? What is the amount cut off btw?

Last edited:

GHG

Meanwhile in Dubai we are on complete lockdown for the whole weekend (no going out under any circumstances until Sunday) while they quite literally clean the city:

This is some end of days stuff:

08325107.jpg

326955-01-05.jpg

326948-01-05.jpg

08325105.jpg

It's crazy to see for a Thursday night here, these roads just never sleep under normal circumstances. Beautiful but harrowing at the same time.

Fingers crossed in 2 weeks those of us in the country can get back to normal. I think the plan is for them to get the cases under control in the country (identify all cases here while the borders are shut) and then allow everyone who is healthy to get back to normal here while they work on a solution for how they will go about reopening the border (they will probably want to test people as they enter).

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
What we're going to see is some states that have done insufficient testing being told to get back to work because they have everything under control.
Then a few weeks later, they'll realize that it wasn't under control earlier, and it certainly isn't under control now.
Excuses will be made, people will die, and we'll do it all over again.

That is unless the federal government has been hoarding test kits to distribute in this situation.
That still won't work, but it might limit death slightly, and also divide the country even further.

They want us to believe that they're going to break down the level of infection by county, when many of these counties haven't even done 100 tests? It's fucking crazy.

I'm starting to feel like the only way we get any good news is if they find a helpful treatment sooner than expected. I have confidence in the people who are working towards this treatment, specifically some US and Israeli groups. Hopefully they come through, and I'll be happy to give Trump all the credit (just don't get too many of us killed while we wait).

Did you watch Dr Brixs and Dr Fauci today ?

If not go watch it in youtube. She actually specifically talked about the testing issues.

Its a good watch and gave me some confidence. And i believe that Trump will listen to those two and follow their advice.

cryptoadam

Banned
The US i think has done now the most test of any countrym 550K. I know thats more than SK and Germany.

Why it took so long ? Most likely the logistics and cost. Back in Feb 20 when Italy had less than 100 cases no one probably thought you would need millions of test. Add in workers labs cotton swabs etc... oh and since its not a point of contact test you need a place to set that up and do the tests.

Its been about 9 weeks or so since we confirmed this was human to human transmission not sure how fast people expect testing for a new virus to be rolled out. This isnt getting a coffee at starbucks.

Does anyone know how many tests Italy has done ?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How the fuck are the numbers in Russia so low?? Especially since they're characterized as notorious drinkers/smokers.

It's Russia... why would you believe any of the numbers coming out of that country?

Last edited by a moderator:

GHG

Looking at what's going on elsewhere I'm very happy with the measures that have been taken in this country even though our numbers are relatively low. When they decided to shut everything the fuck down about a week ago (borders, schools, gyms, restaurants, bars, malls, mandatory working from home for the private sector, etc) we were still under 200 cases and 2 deaths. We are now at 333 cases (still just 2 deaths) so there is a level of determination to not allow this to get out of control.

It's tough, all of my projects have been cancelled or put on hold, some of my friends are losing their jobs or being put on unpaid leave and yes it sucks being stuck indoors. But I'll take this as it is over a ton of people dying here. It's a relatively small expat community, you're only ever 2-3 people away from knowing someone else so if people started getting sick in big numbers it would be felt.

Last edited:

GHG

Does nobody else find it creepy that we have a scoreboard?

I don't really see it as a scoreboard, it's not nice to look at.

But I understand if people want to make light of it and see it as such. If that helps them cope with witnessing the daily numbers then so be it.

Things are going to get worse in a lot of those places on the list before they get better.

cryptoadam

Banned
China has been covering up all this time. Even when they were building those hospitals on live cam that was just distraction.

Theres a reason why its just the flu existed until Italy showed the world what this virus really is.

Darkmakaimura

Spoke with another friend.

He works at a plant shop and his wife works at Zia Records.

Both are obviously non essential businesses but he told me they're both working.

I guess on how you look at it, it's good that they're working and having an income or they're wage slaves selling pots and plants and music/movies/games while risking exposure.

Edit: this is here in Vegas where non essential businesses are supposed to be closed.
I thought it was required by law that all non-essential businesses in Nevada shut down?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Quick question.... People currently working will also get the 1200 bux so long as they don't make over a certain amount, correct? What is the amount cut off btw?

Yes. Anything below 75k adjusted gross income will get the full amount. After 75k take away $50 per $1000 adjusted gross income. So at $99k and above the amount would be $0.

ManaByte

They kept pressing him to debunk the thing about Hydroxychloroquine to shit on Trump. They had a caller call in who used it for Lupis and the guy can't get it because it's being used to treat patients in New York. They tried to get him to shit on Trump for pushing it as a game changer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom