• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critique this possible layout template for a huge revamp of my Sega site

goodcow

Since I've amassed tons of Sega archival content over the years, whether it be my news archive which is currently on the site, screenshots, videos, reviews, or games themselves which I can post footage from, I'm considering putting together a plain-looking, but functional archive of Sega information for their old games.

BETA LAYOUT:
http://www.goodcowfilms.com/farm/games/beta/html/sonic-adventure-2-dreamcast.htm

That would be the layout for every game I have any sort of content about, whether it's just a single link to the news archive, or lots of content, such as Sonic Adventure 2. (screens and videos there are captured by myself)

The hope is that you could just go there, select a game from a list, and then hopefully they'll be relevant information that you want about it. People can also use the contact form to submit links, or content themselves.

So... comment away. I'm aware the layout is plain, it will always remain plain, I'm using FrontPage because I suck at HTML, but my main goal is to just make it easily navigable, and contain information people will find helpful. (and get Google ad clicks hopefully)

Renegade

Banned
The large amount of screens at once is killing my bandwidth. Are those even thumbs?

Make a separate pic page or something please?

goodcow

Vagabond said:
The large amount of screens at once is killing my bandwidth. Are those even thumbs?

Make a separate pic page or something please?

They are thumbs, and in total, it's only 800K or so. My site is geared towards broadband anyway. (I'm assuming you're on 56K)

Given that the vast majority of game pages will NOT have screenshots, and I'd like to keep the layout uniform, having a seperate pic page wouldn't make much sense, sorry. But I do thank you for your feedback.

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
Can't fault simplicity, but I'd love to see something justified somewhere, anywhere.

My eye ain't diggin' the "sometimes everything's centered/sometimes pushed all the way to the left edge/sometimes text is hanging out to the left of the pics/sometimes it's hanging off to the right/oh and now the bottom bar the text is suddenly right justified" thing.

Just gimme at least like one clean line somewhere.

goodcow

HalfPastNoon said:
Here's a comment: that's terrible. Seriously. Looks like something found on AOL circa 1995.

No offense, btw.

I lack Photoshop talent, and the patience to bother making a thousand or so really nice looking pages, so no offense taken. Is it at least easy to navigate?

goodcow

Raxel said:
Use some CSS, it only takes a few minutes to learn.

Elaborate. How would CSS help, and what should I do with it conerning the site? Also where would a good CSS tutorial page be?

Raxel

CSS allows you to define visual elements of a page, such as font, font size, colours etc. As you only define it once, it saves on bandwidth. For now, just implement that. Once you get really good at it, you can use CSS to make javascript style rollover effects, turned lists into navigation menus, create whole layouts and so on.

The best example of this is at http://www.mezzoblue.com/zengarden/alldesigns/official/

Remember that the html stays the same for each page, only the css templates change.

Tutorials can be found at http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

GhaleonEB

I like it. It's designed around minimal clutter and simple presentation of the content. That may say more for your HTML skills as much as your design aesthetic, but it's effective. I like it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Like Brandon said, seriously consider falling in love with lines. Lines are your friend.

segasonic

goodcowsegayeah.jpg

Top Bottom