• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cruncheons 47: Bedtime Stories

http://cruncheons.podbean.com/mf/web/3shypp/Cruncheons47.mp3

We're back with talk of Summer gaming rituals, Kickstarter, various games we've been playing...and then Doug reads you a bedtime story.

Also, a chance to win Last of Us!

(8:12) Summer gaming rituals
(37:20) Kickstarter highs and lows
(1:01:00) Dynasty Warriors 8
(1:09:20) Civilization 5: Brave New World
(1:18:40) Quick Hits - Rogue Legacy, The Pit, Teleglitch
(1:24:15) Mercenary Kings
(1:29:12) Enter to win Last of Us! bartleby.humanist@gmail.com
(1:32:45) Doug's Bedtime Story

We'll talk to you again soon!

Today is the day I actually give in to my hate and buy a 3DS to play SMT, so I'll talk about it on the next ep.

Seriously though everything about the 3DS XL is vile-except the games. I've looked at them in stores repeatedly with the intention of buying and can't bring myself to do it, but today is going to be different.

If you think the 3DS XL is vile imagine using the original. I need an XL, I can barely look at my 3DS after seeing the XL in stores for the first time.

If you think the 3DS XL is vile imagine using the original. I need an XL, I can barely look at my 3DS after seeing the XL in stores for the first time.

Cognitive dissonance prevents me from remembering that the base model exists. The thought of something so dreadful as the original 3DS being a popular part of the hobby I enjoy is revolting.

Oh, Teleglitch. Excellent. I've been curious about that game for a while now.

It's really cool. Mostly unchanged from the previous indie release, but it's nice that they have a publisher and were able to get the game on Steam for the increased visibility. It is a really solid game with a wonderful aesthetic that meshes with both the genre (roguelike) and setting perfectly.

Excellent episode so far. Well done, here you go

sticker,375x360.png

Cruncheons-approved Teleglitch. Mighty fine.

Thanks lads, always a pleasure to grapple up and away from the great unwashed, but for an hour.

Raitaro

I've been catching up on Cruncheons episodes these past few weeks (after listening to the Bombcast has become a bit too tied to Ryan's death to be a comfortable listen for me), and I must say that this show has a strange alluring effect on me even though much of their cynicism and pc tech talk (and not to mention Euro-criticism) flies right over my head. Odd, right? I must be becoming a Cruncheon myself or something...

Doug, Kevin, Robert, and Arian: never change and keep up being your charming and alluring selves (...I suppose).

(ps. did they ever explain what a "Cruncheon" is? It has been a while since I listened to the earlier episodes.)

A friend of mine is trying to enter the giveaway, but gmail is telling him that the email address doesn't exist. I'm presuming it's actually "bartleby?" There's no 'e' the way it's spelled in the podcast.

Gloam

That bedtime story gave me a brain aneurism, more stories please. Very interested in Teleglitch, big fan of Quake and anything that is close to it is good in my book.

Nothing could have prepared me for Torolf...

Anyway I wouldn't be so hard on young adult fiction. Honestly I think I prefer it these days. Maybe its just the amount of bullshit I deal with in adult life but I appreciate the simplicity of young adult books. They don't go overly grim or get bogged down in excessive world building or exposition, they just tell nice simple stories. Plus you can knock one out in few hours. Most of what I read these days is books I buy for my kid. That's not to say every young adult book is good but given the choice between an average YA book and an average adult book I'd probably go YA, at least these days

I don't like being intellectually challenged either :(

my problem with ya fiction is how formulaic it is. i have a serious distaste for repetition, though, which is the psychological failing that keeps me from full-on archspergdom.

MoxManiac

Good episode, on DW8 I don't agree with Doug's assessment that the story is less accurate to history/novel then 7; due to the dynamic aspect of the story mode (how it branches off and/or changes depending on missions you fail or succeed at) it's possible to have a playthrough that is comparable to 7 in accuracy.

GhaleonQ

I've always found the argued essay more convincing than the analytical consumer review, so I'll say that each of the review segments got me thinking about playing those games more than any reviews have.

I revoke any feelings of good will, though, because I had to hear the word "clunge" come out of an American's mouth. I think it's only as bad as "pussy" in the U.K., but just the phonetics of it make it sound worse than "gash" or "cunt." Ugh. Clunge. Inbetweeners and Cruncheons, I will never forgive you.

Top Bottom