• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryengine at GDC

Didn't see anything posted today about these.

Two videos got released today:
CRYENGINE Showcase Trailer
CRYENGINE Free SDK Showcase Trailer |Gamersyde Link|

In addition to Linux support, Cryengine has also gotten some new features.
Physically Based Shading – In contrast to traditional observational based shading seen in most real-time game engines, CRYENGINE's brand new Physically Based Shading model simulates the interaction between light and materials using real world physics.

Geometry Cache – Leveraging the power of today’s new hardware, CRYENGINE computes efficient, cache-based animations to realize the most complex simulations (cloth, explosions, fluid dynamics) normally only possible in offline rendering.

Character Technology –TheCRYENGINE update unites the most scalable, technically-advanced animation and rendering systems to deliver astonishingly realistic characters for games in real-time. Lifelike iris parallax mapping allows for a truly realistic eye representation, while new unified shaders for character shadows and hair add to the possibilities.

Image Based Lighting – Image Based Lighting brings lighting and render consistency to all materials. CRYENGINE’s shading model uses advanced BRDF values and normalization of specular highlights to render even the most complex lighting situations.

Crytek also released Renderdoc - A free graphics debugger last month.

A new version of the FreeSDK (3.5.8) was released one week ago as well

Com_Raven

Thanks for posting this :)

I am especially happy with the Free SDK trailer, it is great to have an opportunity to show some of the talents in our Free SDK community.

We are also working with Alienware for AlienFX Support: Alienware Press Release

Plus one more partnership announcement coming later today.

Cheers,
Marcel
CRYENGINE Online Marketing Manager

Com_Raven

Just to avoid confusion- out of the projects in the Free SDK Trailer, only "Aderyn's Cradle", "SNOW" and "Umbra" are actual Indie games in development- the other projects are levels and art scenes.

aY227

Crytek put some GDC and CryEngine update related new shots on their assets page:
http://assets.crytek.com/asset-bank/action/browseItems?categoryId=201&categoryTypeId=1&allCats=0

Characters Technology - click for 4k:1k shot
ib0JBuZkhdi3ai.png

Characters Individualization System
ilwbTtitaj14i.png

Vegetation systems, but it also shows their new GI, just look grass bounce lights into the trees on the left. It also shows subsurface scattering on the grass.
iubPovWELK6kz.png

Parametric Animations, but it shows cloth and armor physics and enhancements to Motion Blur and DoF from Ryse.
ibd7oMMBn4YSnc.png

Level of Detail Generator:
i1xSgHSFdxUoq.png

Isn't that for China only?

Yes, but it looks good enough that it doesn't deserve to be stuck in China. The first Monster Hunter that doesn't look like a PS2 game, we deserve to get a US release. Game looks really impressive, and not just in the graphics department.

Shengar

Yes, but it looks good enough that it doesn't deserve to be stuck in China. The first Monster Hunter that doesn't look like a PS2 game, we deserve to get a US release. Game looks really impressive, and not just in the graphics department.

At lest the deal lets Capcom to use their asset for the mainline game. I'm sick seeing those monsters got undeserved PS2 low textures.

EDarkness

I really wish they would get Mac support in. They support everything else (even Linux) and yet we can't get a Mac version. Makes no sense. When they get a Mac version, I'll be there day one.

Between this, UE4, and Unity, I'm really happy with the current choices for indie and middle-tier devs these days. The graphics tools provided in the engines are getting so good!

No one's posting about their "CryEngine 5 is completely free, no royalties with source code access" a year ago to this? I'll stick with Unity/Unreal and pray Source 2 becomes accessible to people who want to use it within the decade because CryEngine is out of the game for me at this point because now I can't trust them to change the model again once I'm 2-3 years into a project.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...opts-royalties-model-as-cryengine-5-5-arrives

If this is a direct response to Star Citizen and Kingdom Come, it's not like they're going to make money off this anyways. Warhorse will just move over to Lumberyard (which has zero royalties for single player games) and CIG already moved over. Really, really dumb.

Last edited:

Denton

No one's posting about their "CryEngine 5 is completely free, no royalties with source code access" a year ago to this? I'll stick with Unity/Unreal and pray Source 2 becomes accessible to people who want to use it within the decade because CryEngine is out of the game for me at this point because now I can't trust them to change the model again once I'm 2-3 years into a project.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...opts-royalties-model-as-cryengine-5-5-arrives

If this is a direct response to Star Citizen and Kingdom Come, it's not like they're going to make money off this anyways. Warhorse will just move over to Lumberyard (which has zero royalties for single player games) and CIG already moved over. Really, really dumb.
Afaik Warhorse bought a full one time one pay license for Cryengine and they have that, don't need to be paying anything else. They modified the engine so heavily (in all aspects, rendering, AI..) that I doubt they will want to use anything other than what they already have (and will improve it further themselves).

thelawof4

How come I've never heard about this Hunt-game before?
This game uses some of the most advanced rendering techniques and is therefore quite hard to run and I think it has not been found by the streaming/youtube crowd yet. It is also still in the early stages of development, if I remember correctly.

Top Bottom