• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek's Hunt: The Showdown is a "player vs player monster hunter", debuting at E3

Monster hunter doesn't seem to mean the same thing to me as it means to this dev team

I doubt this game is about skinning other players to make cool armors out of them

blakep267

This was so bizarre. At one point I was seriously wondering if those publications were being paid to overhype Evolve because nothing shown of it remotely warranted all the praise it got
Playing evolve for the first time in the perfect environment is pretty fun and exhilarating. Just like I could see playing the sea of thieves 2016 demo once and having an absolute blast. But that can't be the full game

Gbraga

Disclaimer: Was on the team before Crytek Austin went south. No longer involved in any way (and haven't been for years!).

Originally, when we were working on this, the internal goal was somewhat akin to a mission-based 4-Player Dark Souls / Monster Hunter w/ a heavier focus on gunplay (though there was quite a bit of melee as well). Weapons were old-school (lever actions, double barrel shotguns, hatchets, with some experimental-for-the-time weapons too).

Damage and difficulty was meant to be incredibly high to force sticking together and of course, teamwork.

You could gather resources during missions (like Monster Hunter) and even find a crafting bench to build upgrades.

We were also working on complex bosses with multiple stages with mechanics that required teamwork to overcome (similar to a WOW boss, but but action oriented).

There was never any talk about 4 players vs 1 boss (like Evolve), so if they went that direction, it's all new to me (but again, I haven't been involved for years). I'm really interested to see what they've done with the original concept. Sounds like it has changed quite a bit.

:'(

Xater

This was so bizarre. At one point I was seriously wondering if those publications were being paid to overhype Evolve because nothing shown of it remotely warranted all the praise it got

I played it during Gamescom as press and was really wondering how some colleagues could be so enthusiastic about Evolve. I just didn't see it.

tragic

Developer
I really liked Evolve in the beginning. It is one of those ideas that floats around every dev house "you know what would be cool? If we combined X with Y!" and then finally, years later, someone does it (on a large scale).

I only had 2 problems with it. 1) the DLC was insane (felt like I was only getting a fraction of the actual game for full price). 2) not enough variety early on - felt like there should have been at least 5 total monsters at launch.

Had a lot of fun with it for about a week, then I just stopped playing. Became very repetitive with no changes on the horizon.

YoungOne

Disclaimer: Was on the team before Crytek Austin went south. No longer involved in any way (and haven't been for years!).

Originally, when we were working on this, the internal goal was somewhat akin to a mission-based 4-Player Dark Souls / Monster Hunter w/ a heavier focus on gunplay (though there was quite a bit of melee as well). Weapons were old-school (lever actions, double barrel shotguns, hatchets, with some experimental-for-the-time weapons too).

Damage and difficulty was meant to be incredibly high to force sticking together and of course, teamwork.

You could gather resources during missions (like Monster Hunter) and even find a crafting bench to build upgrades.

We were also working on complex bosses with multiple stages with mechanics that required teamwork to overcome (similar to a WOW boss, but but action oriented).

There was never any talk about 4 players vs 1 boss (like Evolve), so if they went that direction, it's all new to me (but again, I haven't been involved for years). I'm really interested to see what they've done with the original concept. Sounds like it has changed quite a bit.
Why did they change it i would have played a game like this.

Se_7_eN

This sounds fantastic, what were the rewards for completing missions / Bosses?

Here is some E3 2014 gameplay of the original idea... It looks really good for how early it is.

Based on the new teaser trailer, it looks like they reduced it to a 2v2 PVP/E shit fest. But, I could be wrong.

Man, if Evolve couldn't succeed, this certainly couldn't. Unless it goes viral somehow. Maybe starting out F2P will be good for it.

Ashtar

:'( I wanted that version ! Did you work on darksiders as well?

Well this sounds like it could have been a lot of fun. Co-op games that are diffcult are always welcomed.

BTW; I am not sure who these crazy people are funding Crytek anymore - after everything that has happened, you would think that investors would be rather reluctant to fund anything headed directly or indirectly by the Yerli crew.

But hey, maybe it'll at least win a bunch of trade show awards! That accounts for something right?!?! ;)

FnzrjoN.jpg

I get why it got the praise, it was different at the time, and in short burst demo sessions it was really fun, but when it was out for a week matches went one sided, a half decent monster could steamroll the hunters in seconds and vice versa. The first evolve match I played lasted less than 3 minutes. Add on to that their insane dlc practices and the game was destined to die.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I get why it got the praise, it was different at the time, and in short burst demo sessions it was really fun, but when it was out for a week matches went one sided, a half decent monster could steamroll the hunters in seconds and vice versa. The first evolve match I played lasted less than 3 minutes. Add on to that their insane dlc practices and the game was destined to die.

Also the game ultimately didn't feel different enough between individual matches, making it very repetitive.

Top Bottom