• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead is rolling out to Tesla vehicles in early OS 10 update

Cybrwzrd

Banned
So Cuphead is now playable in early access on what is likely the most expensive gaming platform - Tesla Vehicles.

An early look at the new V10 update for Tesla vehicles now includes the first world of Cuphead, Netflix, YouTube, in car karaoke and more.

Now gaming isn’t new to Tesla, but this is the first modern game to come to the “platform”. Beach Buggy Racers came out a few months back, but it was a ported phone app. Cuphead is the first modern game to require a console (Xbox/PS4) controller to play as well.

Games can, for now, only be played in park.

More games are apparently coming in the future as the Tesla platform is compatible with Unity and Unreal Engine.

I don’t have V10, since I don’t have early access; but I’m excited to finally play Cuphead.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
They better sort out the self drive

As a Tesla owner, what is there to sort out?

Autopilot as it stands is just adaptive cruise control with lane keep, which is on nearly every car on the market these days. The Tesla version is better than the others, by a wide margin. But it isn’t full self drive.

I can however pick a lane on the interstate and let it do it’s thing. You literally have to keep your hand on the wheel or the system will pull you off the road and stop.

So, we get Cuphead, but they have completely blown past Outrun. WHAT KIND OF FUTURE IS THIS
Automobile steering wheels are physically linked to the car's wheels. Playing Beach Buggy Racing on my car means when I turn the wheel to steer the car in the game, the front wheels of my actual car turn too. Which isn't good. I don't play that game with the steering wheel anymore.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully it doesn't crash as much.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
What are the Gaming Specs of a Tesla? Smartphone like or better?

Probably better than a smartphone, depending on how it can utilize the hardware. They used Nvidia Drive PX2 up until earlier this year and now use a custom chip.

Ah yes, a million dollar car. My gaming plataform of choice.

A million dollar car?

Hopefully it doesn't crash as much.

Teslas crash less than other cars. A Tesla crashing is headline making news though, like an airplane crash.

Paltheos

As someone who was really ardent about getting a Tesla car (but couldn't), all these disparaging comments are disheartening. :( It's a good car, guys.

Cravis

I can’t think of anything else more deserving of this:

jJH0btw.jpg

-Arcadia-

Banned
It’d be so weird playing Cuphead in the car. Never mind craning your head over to a small screen for that long, and producing a controller, what happens when you stop killing time, get home, and want to keep playing the game? There’s no save transfer that I’m aware of. So you’ve got to stay in the car, in your driveway, like an idiot, lol.

Not that it isn’t all really cool, and a good sales gimmick, but in terms of practicality...

Cybrwzrd

Banned
It’d be so weird playing Cuphead in the car. Never mind craning your head over to a small screen for that long, and producing a controller, what happens when you stop killing time, get home, and want to keep playing the game? There’s no save transfer that I’m aware of. So you’ve got to stay in the car, in your driveway, like an idiot, lol.

Not that it isn’t all really cool, and a good sales gimmick, but in terms of practicality...

Just to clarify a few things. The Model 3 screen is basically a 15" iPad. So much larger than even the largest of iPads, which people game on. There is also plenty of room in the center console of the vehicle to hold a controller (the USB ports are inside the center console as well).

I mean, yeah no one will sit in their driveway to play a game. But if you are supercharging on a trip and want to kill some time (takes ~20-30 mins to get to 80% from 20% charge) , it is something to do.

When you actually own a BEV it becomes much more obvious what the point of in dash games are for: killing time when supercharging on a long trip.

Also, there's zero "neck craning". The Model 3 screen is actually perfectly situated. Lean the comfy bucket seat back a bit n hook up a Bluetooth controller of choice n you'll struggle to find a better gaming position in most homes. No, the in dash games aren't really meant for long term sessions, but comfort is not an issue.

-Arcadia-

Banned
When you actually own a BEV it becomes much more obvious what the point of in dash games are for: killing time when supercharging on a long trip.

Also, there's zero "neck craning". The Model 3 screen is actually perfectly situated. Lean the comfy bucket seat back a bit n hook up a Bluetooth controller of choice n you'll struggle to find a better gaming position in most homes. No, the in dash games aren't really meant for long term sessions, but comfort is not an issue.

I too, game at home by constantly looking rightwards.

Likewise, although I might not be part of the exalted Tesla club, I do understand that the games are for killing time, and made that point.

In any case, it sounds more comfortable than I had initially thought, and that’s cool.

Vbrasa

What's the point of this? Like literally? The same thing as porting Skyrim to Alexa. Game companies love to waste valuable resources, but at the same time also love to cut back and underpay employees. What a great industry. I'm so glad I changed my mind about getting into it.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
What's the point of this? Like literally? The same thing as porting Skyrim to Alexa. Game companies love to waste valuable resources, but at the same time also love to cut back and underpay employees. What a great industry. I'm so glad I changed my mind about getting into it.

I literally answered this question upthread.

Why did anyone start putting games on their calculators? Because they could. You have a computer capable of 144 TOPS, and a big ass HD screen. What's wrong with having some fun with it?

I too, game at home by constantly looking rightwards.

Likewise, although I might not be part of the exalted Tesla club, I do understand that the games are for killing time, and made that point.

In any case, it sounds more comfortable than I had initially thought, and that’s cool.

Yes, looking slightly to the right is liable to cause a repetitive stress injury. Henceforth all BEV manufacturers take note: either avoid these pointless value adds or build the screen directly in front of the driver so he doesnt have to "crane" his neck to the right while gaming for 20 minutes during a charge. Being able to safely see the road while driving is less important than a perfectly comfortable gaming position on games we don't need anyway in them thar newfangled 'lectric elite-mobiles, amirite!?!

You could just drive around the block a few more times, but that would be a waste of petrol.

You can add another 20k to that for Europe.
That's the same for everything in Europe though. It's not uniquely some Tesla problem.
At least most European countries have tax incentives for buying an EV. Gasoline engine cars are more expensive if you factor that in.

You can add another 20k to that for Europe.

Still a far cry from a mil. In NA you could buy 15 fully decked out Model 3s for under a million. It's a pretty affordable car for middle class to upper middle class.

Unrelated to your comment - I dont see what everyone is complaining about. Who gives a shit? If you have a Tesla, here's a game you can play while charging or waiting for someone in the parking lot. For non Tesla owners, you still have your phone (dont you guys have phones?!?)

Dafuq?

My decked out Model 3 Tesla was about $65k. Are people really this uninformed about Teslas?

Can't wait to check this out next time I'm charging. It's fun to fire up the in dash games for 20 minutes here n there.

As someone who works for the company, people really are this uninformed lol

Z..

That's the same for everything in Europe though. It's not uniquely some Tesla problem.

Weirdly enough, while it applies to most stuff, it's not universal... Chevrolet vehicles cost about the same, for example. I've given up trying to understand car pricings around here.

Still a far cry from a mil. In NA you could buy 15 fully decked out Model 3s for under a million. It's a pretty affordable car for middle class to upper middle class.
Oh, I know, I was just being pedantic. ^^
Man, a Tesla being an affordable car for middle class seems like a million miles away from my life... I can't even begin to feasibly think about such an expense and I'm a single educated (bachelor + master's) professional in my mid/late 30s living on under 8k€/year.
As someone who works for the company, people really are this uninformed lol
Again, it really depends on where you're from... over here (and throughout most of Europe, all 800 million of us) Teslas are something that is exclusively associated with the upper class, they're not competitively priced in the slightest.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
Ah yes now i can be angry from road rage and then calm myself by a nice relaxing round of cuphead...

Top Bottom