• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Will Only Support Raytracing On Nvidia Gpus At Launch

00_Zer0

Nvidia money hatting RT
Wouldn't doubt it. It doesn't take Nvidia RT cards to run ray tracing through windows. As long as cards support ray tracing and Windows 10 there would be very little a programmer would have to do to get it up and running on AMD or Intel cards that have ray tracing.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
If this is accurate...ouch. I'm wanting to play this with RT effects, so I'll continue to focus on getting an Ampere card. If I wanted to play without RT I'd just play on consoles.

kuncol02

Banned
If this becomes a thing where Nvidia and developers screw over competition then I will say screw you to Nvidia and ray tracing and live without the resource hog of ray tracing anyway.
For now raytracing works only on Nvidia cards anyway. We are still waiting for RDNA2 cards which are supposed to be compatible with DirectX Raytracing.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Wouldn't doubt it. It doesn't take Nvihttps://media.tenor.com/images/38335d674724c77c087bf1140d54d7cf/tenor.gifdia RT cards to run ray tracing through windows. As long as cards support ray tracing and Windows 10 there would be very little a programmer would have to do to get it up and running on AMD or Intel cards that have ray tracing.

Apart from

tenor.gif

Wouldn't be surprised if it's been money hatted, it would make sense.

johntown

Banned
If this becomes a thing where Nvidia and developers screw over competition then I will say screw you to Nvidia and ray tracing and live without the resource hog of ray tracing anyway.
If?? Ray tracing is already mainstream. Ray tracing is not NIVDIA only tech either so don't worry about that. They probably just have not had the time to program and optimize ray tracing for other hardware.

00_Zer0

If?? Ray tracing is already mainstream. Ray tracing is not NIVDIA only tech either so don't worry about that. They probably just have not had the time to program and optimize ray tracing for other hardware.
You're probably right, but It wouldn't surprise me if Nvidia attempted such a thing giving devs money or giving them special support to keep ray tracing Nvidia exclusive for a period of time. That's all I'm saying.

ZywyPL

Banned
Well NV RT is the only available solution today and in the past two years, so it's rather obvious. I can already see NV heavily marketing their cards with the game and cannibalize RX 6xxx launch.

Kenpachii

Nvidia sponsors the shit out of cdpr games witcher 3 was basically there big 900 series seller. I am not shocked. Expect lots of free copy's with cheaper gpu models to also be a thing sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Yeah seems due to a sponsorship/RT Support/free engineering deal from Nvidia is the cause.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/cyberpunk-2077-nvidia-partnership-ray-tracing/
I'm not surprised at all they took the free tech assistance from Nvidia. Especially with their history with tech in general. They took a ton of tech assistance from Bioware waayyy back in the day too. I have no doubts they'll be upfront about AMD RT when it's a thing. Right now we are all waiting until Oct. 28th.

Last edited:
Top Bottom