• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D.J. Caruso to supposedly direct Preacher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dabanton

We came across this rather exciting tweet from Disturbia and I Am Number Four director D.J. Caruso:

My deal just closed on Preacher. Going back to the dark side and pretty fucking pumped!

While we await some kind of confirmation, this means we might actually see some movement on the John August-scripted adaptation of the influential graphic novel series by writer Garth Ennis and artist Steve Dillon.

This adaptation has been one of the most hotly anticipated – and annoyingly slow to get moving – projects in recent memory. Numerous directors have come and gone, including The A-Team‘s Joe Carnahan and Sam Mendes, who left the project to focus on Bond 23.

Alice in Wonderland and Go scripter John August first confirmed his involvement just over two years ago, and now we’re getting some serious rumbles of life, including a report from /Film last week. I think Caruso is a solid choice: he’s tenacious, talented, and takes risks most mainstream directors wouldn’t consider. Plus, if by going “back to the dark side,” he means visiting the darker terrains of his excellent breakout film The Salton Sea, then all the better.

For those who don’t know (and how dare you not), Preacher follows the adventures of Rev. Jesse Custer, a Texas preacher who teams up with Irish vampire Cassidy (modeled on The Pogues frontman Shane MacGowan) and his ex-old-lady Tulip to basically hunt down God and demand answers. The Big Man has left Heaven in the wake of an unholy sexual union: an angel and a demon conceive a new entity, which escape it’s confines and embeds itself in Custer, who can command people with the Word of God.

I’m actually not surprised this project has taken this long to come together. Preacher is a huge story, with the synopsis above only scratching the surface of what happens along the way. Whittling this down to a satisfying two-hour experience could not have been easy, but I’ll my pair of ivory-carved dice (that I won off the Devil in a backwoods game of craps) that August’s script leaves plenty of room for sequels.

http://thefilmstage.com/2011/02/22/big-tweet-from-d-j-caruso-hes-directing-preacher

Hmmm Preacher is a pretty hard thing to get right as it's subject matter is sensitive enough already. I foresee plenty of pulled punches

Zabka

It's a shame the HBO series was killed. It was the perfect place for it.

This movie from this director will be probably be a big fat dog turd.

Double D

My everything is ready.

edit: oh shit I didn't read all the way through and assumed this was a revival of the TV series. How the hell are they going to pack in anything worth a shit into a movie? Hell, look how long Watchmen was, and that was only a fraction of the amount of issues that Preacher comprises.

I don't want to see it as a 2 hour movie. I'd rather see 3 seasons worth of 1 hour TV episodes, HBO whatever. they'll have to condense and cut so much shit I can't see it turning out well, just like Watchmen.

Dabanton

Yeah the TV show idea is the best but who has the balls to push ahead with this uncut and untampered with?

Even HBO bailed out because of the subject matter.

jaxword

Hey AMC, we could use some help here.

was originally heard in Southern District Court of New York, which ruled that all the challenged claims were not patent eligible. Myriad then appealed to the Federal Circuit Appeals Court. The Circuit court overturned the previous decision in part, ruling that isolated DNA which does not exist alone in nature can be patented and that the drug screening claims were valid, and confirmed in part, finding the diagnostic claims unpatentable. The plaintiffs appealed to the Supreme Court, which granted certiorari and remanded the case to the Federal Circuit. The Federal Circuit did not change its opinion, so on September 25, 2012, the American Civil Liberties Union and the Public Patent Foundation filed a petition for certiorari with the Supreme Court with respect to the second Federal Circuit Decision.

KAOz

Short bus special
NEED Patrick Stewart as Starr, and Brad Pitt in a small cameo as an old lady. FACT!

Hopefully this won't be shit. But I highly doubt it. Would rather see it get the Walking Dead treatment and be made into a tv-series.

Spookie

A movie? Really? Christ The Preacher is 9 TPB's how do they suppose to fit in the main story/character arcs in to two hours? :/

Zabka said:
It's a shame the HBO series was killed. It was the perfect place for it.

This movie from this director will be probably be a big fat dog turd.
Truth. This would have been incredible if they followed the original plan of one episode per issue of the comic. It would have a set end date and would run multiple seasons. There are some issues they could easily condense or excise (Jesse talking to his Dad's old 'Nam buddy), but tackling the entire series episodically would be the best.

And no, AMC is not the right fit. This needs to be on premium cable to get away with all the sick, fucked up stuff. Do you really thing Arseface would fly over well on basic cable?

Thanks for linking to the story we found/broke!

I don't know how I feel about him directing Preacher though :/ He has some talent, but not enough for this.

Decado

I can't say I see the upside here. None of the talent involved makes me think this will turn out well. Like most people here, I think it would work best as a TV series (though I really like the Watchmen movie).

soultron

Banned
Put me down for the TV series too.

I want to see Preacher done on a screen, so I'm pretty jazzed about this, but I'm not holding my breath on it being a great movie. It would work better as a mini series or fully serialized television show.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
How's the comic? Good?

What I've read of it is pretty darn great. Cassidy's a bad dude, not to mention the Saint of Killers. I really want to believe that a movie adaption will retain the dark tone and subject of the comic, but unless they go for an R rating, I doubt it will :/

Amir0x

Banned
oh god this sounds like the worst anything ever scenario for Preacher

Preacher deserves more than this, being one of the greatest comic series ever written :(

Amir0x said:
oh god this sounds like the worst anything ever scenario for Preacher

Preacher deserves more than this, being one of the greatest comic series ever written :(

I bought the first tpb last week, I finally recognise your avatar!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom